Brewer Fanatic

Is aguilar the brewers MVP

When it comes to all the intangibles, it has to be Cain. He does literally everything great to help this team win. Plus he has put himself in a leadership role & overall makes the Brewers better.

Cain

Hader

Aguilar

Yelich

Jeffress

To me, those 5 have are the biggest reason why we have most wins in NL. Hader & Jeffress have froze any rallies to save leads all year & Cain, Yelich, Aguilar have been consistent game in & game out helping team win. Guerra could be in discussion as well

Others have had hot & cold streaks

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When it comes to all the intangibles, it has to be Cain. He does literally everything great to help this team win. Plus he has put himself in a leadership role & overall makes the Brewers better.

Cain

Hader

Aguilar

Yelich

Jeffress

To me, those 5 have are the biggest reason why we have most wins in NL. Hader & Jeffress have froze any rallies to save leads all year & Cain, Yelich, Aguilar have been consistent game in & game out helping team win. Guerra could be in discussion as well

Others have had hot & cold streaks

I think Shaw has to be in that group too. When the offense has been as anemic as this one has been Shaw is just as important as Cain, Aguilar and Yelich. I think the importance of those 4 guys gets magnified really.

wRC+ / (Plate Appearances)

Cain 129 (312 PA)

Aguilar 160 (237 PA)

Yelich 126 (296 PA)

Shaw 118 (296 PA)

Everyone else above 100 has significantly fewer plate appearances. Thames at 128 (122 PA) is probably close-ish but way too few PAs to be sure, Braun at 98 (226 PA) could be better and Villar at 84 (239 PA) is meh but ok considering his role.

Holy Schnikes but Aguilar has been impressive. He's putting up near Freddie Freeman type production albeit in 100 fewer ABs. Keep it up big guy!

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

ok ROBO,

Thames got hurt april 19th and aguilar took over,

and has all his gaudy stats since then.

Just where would this team be without him?

I dare to say nowhere near 13 games over .500

He has to be in the top 3 doesn't he?

top 5 in virtually every offensive category has to mean something to you doesn't it?

ok ROBO,

Thames got hurt april 19th and aguilar took over,

and has all his gaudy stats since then.

Just where would this team be without him?

I dare to say nowhere near 13 games over .500

He has to be in the top 3 doesn't he?

top 5 in virtually every offensive category has to mean something to you doesn't it?

In posts that've differed from yours, people have clearly explained their rationale - which centers primarily around defense. No one is discounting Aguilar's offense or success.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Part of the MVP consideration should take into account who would be there if they weren’t there.

For instance Thames instead of Aguilar...not the biggest drop off.

Broxton or Phillips instead of Cain...yikes.

Part of the MVP consideration should take into account who would be there if they weren’t there.

Thames is playing a lot of LF these days, and Yelich (when healthy) plays CF.

Eh, I'd much rather just consider what their production is relative to average at their position. It has nothing to do with a player's merit if they have another really productive player who can play the same position. The idea is to be much better than your counterpart on the other team, not much better than your back-up. You're still much more likely to win because you have Cain instead of an average CF. The fact that you also have Yelich is strictly circumstantial.

Eh, I'd much rather just consider what their production is relative to average at their position. It has nothing to do with a player's merit if they have another really productive player who can play the same position. The idea is to be much better than your counterpart on the other team, not much better than your back-up. You're still much more likely to win because you have Cain instead of an average CF. The fact that you also have Yelich is strictly circumstantial.

Again, we are talking MVP, not MOP. Value has a whole team component to it that can be tricky and open to more interpretation.

Then that’s Most Outstanding Player or along those lines in my opinion.

If we are getting technical and trying to label a MVP for the team then might as well go with the guy who adds the most value. A 5 WAR player replacing a 4 WAR player isn’t adding much value. A 4 WAR player replacing a 0 WAR player is technically more valuable.

Really not much doubt anymore who the MVP is this half with the injuries....

This only applies for people who don't understand the value of defense and how many hits Cain turns into outs. And even with the injuries Cain has still played 2 more games than Aguilar and has a 2.8 OWAR to Aguilar's 2.0 OWAR. Before even getting into defense, Cain leads the Brewers in hits, BBs, SBs, AVG, and OBP.

ok robo.. point taken

BUT

I am taking this to a whole new level

I think jesus will finish in the top 3 in the LEAGUE MVP,

when it is all said and done.

and cain will probably be in the discussion too

swing away guys.

I can take it

I promise I wont debate it much,

but that's how I see this going

With cain and yelich hitting at a .290 pace,

aguilar will get enough chances for RBI if

he continues to hit between .280 and .305 himself.

If braun would just hit .270 or so, it will help our offense.

Shaw looks as lost as arcia has.

If his wrist is slowing him down this much,

they may as well 10 day DL him and get it over with.

This dietrich trade rumor looks very enticing to me.

Say Hello to the All Star Game!

Without a doubt he is our MVP thus far. I like Cain, Yelish, and Hader but they are at birdie level while Jesus is at "Hole in One".

He is leading the NL in HR, batting .313, ops over 1.0, leading the NL, and great D.

All with less than 100 AB.

If he keeps this going then he will be putting up Albert Belle numbers.

Without a doubt he is our MVP thus far. I like Cain, Yelish, and Hader but they are at birdie level while Jesus is at "Hole in One".

Dude, you continuously spell his name wrong. Can you please make an effort to correct this? I know I sound like a jerk, but c'mon...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It's a play on "relish"....at least it should be.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

He is leading the NL in HR, batting .313, ops over 1.0, leading the NL, and great D.

All with less than 100 AB.

If he keeps this going then he will be putting up Albert Belle numbers.

That's incorrect

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Then that’s Most Outstanding Player or along those lines in my opinion.

If we are getting technical and trying to label a MVP for the team then might as well go with the guy who adds the most value. A 5 WAR player replacing a 4 WAR player isn’t adding much value. A 4 WAR player replacing a 0 WAR player is technically more valuable.

A 5 WAR player adds 5 wins, period. You can play the 4 WAR player somewhere else or trade him. That has nothing to do with the 5 WAR player's value at all. That has everything to do with the front office and nothing to do with either player's value on the field, which is measured by how much they give you an advantage over opponents.

And not to give credence to the argument about a player's value being diminished in that way, but it's a really strange argument considering the production they've gotten from Thames, Choi, and Braun at 1B. Yelich and Cain have been the only two decent outfielders. Yelich has been desperately needed as one of the corner outfielders all season. They have had as many effective 1B's as OF's for much of the season, whereas you need 3 effective OF's for every 1B.

Cain has been unbelievable. It's just a question of home run and slugging infatuation to think Aguilar has a case. I don't want to diminish what Jesus has done, but lots of 1B's produce like that every year. Cain has been truly special. You shouldn't have to be a slugger to be acknowledged as the MVP if you're deserving, and Cain is.

I think it is more of a question of is he the the NL MVP right now.

Please tell me you're talking about Cain, who has been the most valuable player in the NL pretty much since opening day. Aguilar doesn't even crack the top 5 at his own position.

Archived