Brewer Fanatic

Keon Broxton

Bulldogboy
This is why I asked this question to begin with. I figured the brewers still hold out hope for keon like I do. Glad he is back. Hope that he can find his way into the lineup and help. A bench of Sogard and Acia etc doesn't work.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Broxton is being called up and Cain to the DL.

Going to be hard to score any runs without Cain and (likely) Shaw. Let's hope Braun starts hitting.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

More alarming to me that it’s not Phillips. Top prospect no more in my eyes.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

More alarming to me that it’s not Phillips. Top prospect no more in my eyes.

I actually feel better about Phillips than I did earlier this year. He's taking more walks, and my guess is they don't want to interupt his progress by bringing him up now. With Broxton, you have nothing to lose by bringing him up for 10 days.

Yeah, last night was reason enough to keep him around. Based on his minor league numbers he won't be able to keep it up because of his strikeouts but if he plays decent the rest of the way would be a cheap 4th OF in 2019. Due to his time in the minors he won't get super 2 arbitration in 2019.

I may just be relaxing in the Keon glow right now ... but if I remember Broxton correctly, he had violent hot streaks, more so than most I can remember. He would go cold and be unwatchable ... but when he would have a good week at the plate it was remarkable. It would be really, really nice if we caught gold with his call up coinciding with a violent hot streak ... because he can win games by himself when he does and we could use it with the injuries.

Ride the hot hand. When it goes cold, send him away.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Ride the hot hand. When it goes cold, send him away.

Pretty much this. Keon might get/stay hot for 2-3 weeks or so, but then he'll OPS about .300 for a month. Normally I don't advocate the "ride the hot hand" approach, but with Keon, it really applies. He's either fiery white hot, or worse-than-a-pitcher cold it seems.

Keon's value as being part of a packaged trade went up. Thanks Keon.

This.

Also, IMO going forward Keon has earned a spot on the MLB roster this week over Domingo until proven otherwise. Yes, Keon strikes out way too much and it drives me nuts, but so does Domingo. However, Keon brings tremendous value as a late inning defensive replacement and occasional instant offense with the bat. I don't want to see him in the lineup everyday, but would be more than happy with him on our bench.

I am not Shea Vucinich

I don't want to look down on Domingo too much, though I know he's had a bad year. But, between him, Phillips and Broxton, if there is anyone that you'd rather have as a true 4th OF (not getting many starts, late game replacement), it's clearly Broxton. He's old enough that the "getting regular ABs" rings a bit hollow, and his defense and base running as a late innings replacement is a big plus.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Keon has his flaws for sure, but you have to love the energy he brings. He's always going full out regardless of the situation. His teammates seem to love him as well. He's got a little bit of Nyjer Morgan-type exuberance in him that guys just seem to be drawn to. I'm hoping that they find a way to keep him around after Cain comes back. Maybe Cain can even take some innings in RF. You aren't going to beat a defensive outfield of Yelich, Broxton and Cain.

Archived