Brewer Fanatic
I am not a huge Happ guy but those saying he isn't better than what we have are just looking at era. His whip is better than any starter not named Peralta and he stikesouts more guys. He is definitely better than a few of our starters

I agree, actually. But I think that those that don't want Happ feel that way because of the potential cost. As with any acquisition, it all depends on what we have to give up. Would I be thrilled sending a 20-30 organizational guy for him? Yep, and he'd help. Do I want to send a guy like Ray? Absolutely not. It all depends, and we won't know what it'll take until either Milwaukee or someone else does make the deal.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not a huge Happ guy but those saying he isn't better than what we have are just looking at era. His whip is better than any starter not named Peralta and he stikesouts more guys. He is definitely better than a few of our starters

I agree, actually. But I think that those that don't want Happ feel that way because of the potential cost. As with any acquisition, it all depends on what we have to give up. Would I be thrilled sending a 20-30 organizational guy for him? Yep, and he'd help. Do I want to send a guy like Ray? Absolutely not. It all depends, and we won't know what it'll take until either Milwaukee or someone else does make the deal.

Yep this one is all about price. I can't see a top 10 guy I would want to trade for him. Reports are Toronto has dropped their price significantly so that is good.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
IF his price is coming down, he might be worth it as a solid #3 Guy

His last nine starts - 4.66 ERA, but hitters only batting .234 against him.

Anderson, Chacin, Guerra and even Miley all profile as "solid #3 guys" this year. I think I'd rather give starts to Woodruff than trade a good asset for Happ.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Even in giving Woodruff a shot, the Brewers will need starting pitching depth. Suter is done, Davies might be for all we know, and nobody should be depending on Nelson.

I agree. I'd rather they target a guy with additional control beyond this year if they are going to give up good prospects, though. Gray, Wheeler, Stroman, Archer, Fulmer, Gibson and Gausman come to mind. Obviously deGrom, but I doubt that is going to happen. I'd love to see them pry Aaron Sanchez away from the Blue Jays. Genuine TOR stuff if he can stay healthy.

The fact that the Yankees seem enamored with Happ scares me. I have a feeling they are going to overpay for him, and I don't want the Brewers anywhere near a 35-year-old #3-4 starter who is only going to be here a few months if it's going to cost a Top 10 prospect.

His last two trades were michael saunders and Adrien Sampson. While pitching better. He's not going to cost a top Brewers prospect. We had what? 25 C+ grade prospects to start the year? We can part with one or two.

Also he's been around a 3.5ERA pitcher that can go 8ip on a great start, the last 3seasons. Rather good for 10-12 starts at the likely price

His last two trades were michael saunders and Adrien Sampson. While pitching better. He's not going to cost a top Brewers prospect. We had what? 25 C+ grade prospects to start the year? We can part with one or two.

Exactly. Is everyone forgetting last year? Brewers tried to hang in the race post Nelson injury with a rotation of Anderson, Davies, Woodruff, and Suter which was basically a bullpen day, and Wilkerson. Jeffress was even used as a starter one game. Woodruff, after a promising start, faltered in his last 3 or 4 starts.

Hey Woodruff and Peralta may indeed have great futures, but counting on them in the heat of a race when there are affordable veterans makes no sense.

Exactly. Is everyone forgetting last year? Brewers tried to hang in the race post Nelson injury with a rotation of Anderson, Davies, Woodruff, and Suter which was basically a bullpen day, and Wilkerson. Jeffress was even used as a starter one game. Woodruff, after a promising start, faltered in his last 3 or 4 starts.

Hey Woodruff and Peralta may indeed have great futures, but counting on them in the heat of a race when there are affordable veterans makes no sense.

100% agree

I think the offense going into hibernation had a little something to do with the failures of last year as well. Having said that, I don't think anyone has suggested that Happ shouldn't be a target at the right price. If the Yankees want to overpay for him, then let them. I'm confident DS has his price and he won't overextend for a marginal piece like Happ.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I don't see Happ being all that cheap. There seems to be a lot of teams out there that have real interest in his services. He was an All-Star this year and finished 6th in Cy Young voting in 2016. The prior trades he was involved in mean very little now. He currently has a 3.7 K/BB ratio and the K/9 is over 10. Have to believe he'd cost the Brewers at least 1 of their top 10 prospects and very likely a second in the top 20.

Anderson and Davies were phenomenal in the second half last year (sub 3 ERAs), and Suter was really good. (3.64 ERA)

Wilkerson had 2 starts, one was bad and one was outstanding.

We missed the playoffs last year because we couldn't score a run in the second half. Had absolutely nothing to do with trusting young starting pitchers.

Eovaldi fetched a 45 OFP/back-end controllable starter, which is probably a good starting point for Happ. Happ doesn't have the injury concerns that Eovaldi does and has a longer track record, which should be worth something. Maybe something along the lines of Troy Stokes (45-50 OFP) and Cody Ponce (40-45 OFP). Which might be an overpay depending on how you value Stokes.

Eovaldi fetched a 45 OFP/back-end controllable starter, which is probably a good starting point for Happ. Happ doesn't have the injury concerns that Eovaldi does and has a longer track record, which should be worth something. Maybe something along the lines of Troy Stokes (45-50 OFP) and Cody Ponce (40-45 OFP). Which might be an overpay depending on how you value Stokes.

Really would hate trading Stokes for a rental

Are you serious - You wouldn't give up our #21 rank prospect, who at best, will be a 5th OF in the big leagues.

I'd be OK with that, even though as with all rentals, value-wise, it's always too much. Both are rule 5 eligible this year, and while I think neither one would actually be taken if left unprotected (As they should be) I think it would be a prudent move to get at least something for them now.

I think we can afford to overpay if it's the right type of overpay. If we overpay in quantity I'm ok with it. We have a pretty big 40 man roster crunch coming and I'd rather trade some of the soon to be overstock now than lose somebody to the rule 5 draft or because we had to DFA someone for the roster space. If we need to give up a higher quality player as the overpay them I'm not really on board. Maybe trade a few 40 man guys for Happ and a lottery ticket not needing a 40 man spot could work as well.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Are you serious - You wouldn't give up our #21 rank prospect, who at best, will be a 5th OF in the big leagues.

Well that's just not fair to Stokes, who's 22 in AA and over the last ~3 years putting up a wRC+ of 120+ the last with an average (and very consistent) slash of .250/.340/.440. He's a top 10 prospect in a lot of other systems, and is definitely not a "5th OF ceiling" player. I know Corey Ray is stealing the show, but 15 HRs in AA is nothing to scoff at and he should NOT be a throw in to a rental trade.

The reason someone like Stokes is more available is:

1. the 40 man roster crunch is coming and he is going to be part of it. I could see a Miami taking him in Rule 5 if he isn't protected and then the Brewers lose him for nothing.

2. He is really blocked. Aside from Santana and Broxton which will both likely be given away at the end of the season, Stokes is blocked by 4 MLB outfielders signed through 2020 ( You have to include Thames in this at this point.) and Ray in front of him and Lutz coming up from behind him.

Stokes is very, very available.

The reason someone like Stokes is more available is:

1. the 40 man roster crunch is coming and he is going to be part of it. I could see a Miami taking him in Rule 5 if he isn't protected and then the Brewers lose him for nothing.

2. He is really blocked. Aside from Santana and Broxton which will both likely be given away at the end of the season, Stokes is blocked by 4 MLB outfielders signed through 2020 ( You have to include Thames in this at this point.) and Ray in front of him and Lutz coming up from behind him.

Stokes is very, very available.

I didn't say he wasn't available, I said his value is higher than a second piece to a rental trade IMO.

Archived