Brewer Fanatic

I guess we have to wait and see how the market plays out, but I feel like rentals of most players (Machado an obvious exception) are just not getting multiple good prospects in return. Not from Stearns, at least, who seems to really stick to what he thinks is appropriate value.

Last year he made two very astute deals (IMO) for Walker and Swarzak without giving up too much in return. This offseason he was not swayed by the narrative of the 'big 4' free agent starters and played the value game with Chacin. I just don't see him giving up a bunch of potential surplus value for a few dozen innings.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A solid reason to consider Happ is the fact we face the Reds, Pirates, and Cubs a lot the remainder of the season and those teams have very prominent lefties in their every day lineup.

Cubs have Schwarber Rizzo and Heyward

Reds have Votto Gennett Schebler and Winkler

Pirates have Meadows Dickerson Bell Moran and Polanco

Happs opponent ops for lefties this year is only 502

We play the Reds 9 times, Pirates 14 times and the cubs 8 times to equal 31 games which is 40 % of our remaining games.

Happy could help neutralize those lefties in may be 6-7 of those 31 games

Happ had been rolling through a fine season - he has 115 Ks in 105.1 IP, he has a 1.18 WHIP, and 10 wins - but he's been hit hard in recent days, which has ballooned his ERA into the mid 4s.

Maybe the trade talk has him unsettled, or maybe it's just a bump in the road - but I'd watch closely, to make sure he's ok.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Happ had been rolling through a fine season - he has 115 Ks in 105.1 IP, he has a 1.18 WHIP, and 10 wins - but he's been hit hard in recent days, which has ballooned his ERA into the mid 4s.

Maybe the trade talk has him unsettled, or maybe it's just a bump in the road - but I'd watch closely, to make sure he's ok.

Maybe too he just is what he is ... which is nothing better than what the team already has in the rotation, in my opinion. They don't need another #3-4 starter. Starting pitching depth isn't a problem. If they could get a top-flight guy, though, that changes things. Happ and Hamels aren't that, especially at this point in their careers.

• 3 weeks later...

Appears Happ is close to being moved. I hope it is not to Milwaukee, unless they are getting him super cheap.

If he comes to Milwaukee, which I don't think will happen, I hope it's not for the trade offer that MLB.com predicted the Brewers would get him for: Corbin Burnes and Brett Phillips for JA Happ. Still can't get over the ridiculous things that website spews out.

Appears Happ is close to being moved. I hope it is not to Milwaukee, unless they are getting him super cheap.

If he comes to Milwaukee, which I don't think will happen, I hope it's not for the trade offer that MLB.com predicted the Brewers would get him for: Corbin Burnes and Brett Phillips for JA Happ. Still can't get over the ridiculous things that website spews out.

I know, that's a crazy offer. No way could we get Happ without giving up Hiura.

Domingo pulled after two at bats today. What is Happening?

Sorry, couldn’t resist. :tongue

Oh man ... Domingo for Happ would be such a blah trade. Suter gets hurt, so we replace him with a Suter clone?

I don't think I'd do that trade, but I would not call Happ a "Suter clone."

Domingo pulled after two at bats today. What is Happening?

Sorry, couldn’t resist. :tongue

Oh man ... Domingo for Happ would be such a blah trade. Suter gets hurt, so we replace him with a Suter clone?

Happ is just way, way better than Suter. 10+ K/9, 4.18 ERA, 3.84 FIP for Happ vs. 7.46 K/9, 4.44 ERA, 4.49 FIP for Suter. According to Fangraphs, Happ has been worth around 3 WAR every year since 2015 onward, and is on pace to be there again. Suter, while I like the guy, cannot hold a candle to the consistency of Happ.

Happ has made it thru at least 6 innings in 10 of his 20 starts this season and thru 7 innings in 6 starts, while pitching in the AL East. Suter has made it thru the 6th 3 times in his 18 starts this season.

With all the lefty bats in our division (Votto, Carpenter, Rizzo, Scooter, etc) it'd be nice to add a veteran guy like Happ who can pitch deeper into games and get the strikeout when he needs it.

Archived