Brewer Fanatic

Wilson Ramos

Ramos has been discussed in a lot of other threads lately where he merits his own thread.

Why not him?

Rental with a high salary for Rays. One or two low level wild cards for him?

We don't give up any of our top prospects and definitely shore up a position of need.

I like him. Probably top 3 on my wish list as far as trade targets go.

I think the Brewers need to and will add a catcher to the 25 man roster. The Kratz magic is probably over so I think at least a catcher to share time with Pina if not become the primary starter would be appropriate.

It could just be Nottingham or Bethancourt, but those two probably wouldn't add anything significant offensively either.

This seems like a good move to improve this year's roster without sacrificing too much of the future. What type of prospect do we think it will take? I'm guessing someone in our top 10-20 range of prospects would probably be the type of offer it takes.

Ramos would be a great addition. Not a huge needle mover but someone who at least improves the catcher spot to a passable spot in the offense without being a defensive detriment.

Assuming you aren't going to pay the price for Realmuto, I'd go after Ramos sooner rather than later. Moving Ramos would save them millions, and the Rays are always cutting costs so I don't think it would be much.

I'm not sure I'd want Ramos at all actually. His defense is dreadful this year. More PB than he rightfully should have at this point, and 12% CS...the bat looks good but I'm not interested in sacrificing that much defense. I don't see how he'd be a significant upgrade over Kratz, and you definitely don't want such a poor defender starting 3 or 4 times a week.

• 3 weeks later...

Ramos would be a huge upgrade offensively (829 OPS) and he does not look too bad defensively (22% CS%, dWAR 0.3). He is owed about 1/2 of $10.5M this year. Its not clear if the Rays would want to dump the salary (they are already near the bottom of team salary) or eat it to get a better prospect. He is a rental but they can get a qualifying offer, so the trade has to at least account for a 1st rd draft pick comp they would lose out on.

I'd say if we take on his remaining salary, we could get him for Stokes. What do you think?

I had Ramos going to Milwaukee in the prediction thread, but now it sounds like the Nationals and Astros both want him. He could very well go for more than I anticipated. In the prediction thread I had Milwaukee acquiring Ramos for Stokes and Supak.

JosephC: How would you value a Stokes/Supak vs Ramos/QO. Does their calculated value come pretty close?

Ramos average WAR for 2018, between Fangraphs and Baseball Reference, is 1.9. If that continues he's good for 1.4 WAR over the remainder of the season. That would put his value at 12.824 million and he's due to make approximately 3.54 million over the rest of the season. So surplus value on him is 9.284 million.

I have Stokes and Supak both as "role-player prospects," value assigned to them is 5.72 million each for a total of 11.44 million.

Qualifying offer does not factor into the picture because I can't see the Rays making him the qualifying offer.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Qualifying offer does not factor into the picture because I can't see the Rays making him the qualifying offer.

Agree with you here. The Rays aren't going to give Ramos $17+ million next season. He'd accept the in a heartbeat.

I hope the Brewers are making a hard play on Ramos. Would cost a fraction of a Machado or Realmuto type deal and you can deal from the lower portion of your 40 or with a few players we will have to offer in the Rule 5 next year to make it happen.

His .295 average and .829 OPS would look so good with our club right now.

JosephC: How would you value a Stokes/Supak vs Ramos/QO. Does their calculated value come pretty close?

That's about what I have on him too.

If I were DS I'd tell the Rays they can have their choice of Supak/Ponce/D. Williams plus their choice of Stokes/Derby/Gatewood/Perrin.

With recent injuries to Suter and Guerra (even if they are not serious) as well as the uncertainty of Davies and Nelson, I'm beginning to wonder if a deal for Ramos and ARCHER makes sense (ducks for the anticipated backlash).

He doesn't have to be an ace, just better than the Miley/Wilkerson's of the world.

What is a realistic proposal to get these two and more importantly what will the Rays ask for?

Community Moderator
Sounds like Wilson Ramos strained hamstring injury is likely going to require a DL stint. Tough news for him personally since he was going to be the AL’s starting catcher in the All-Star Game.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

I think I would still take a chance on trading for him.

Price should be lower and you get a big boost come mid august

Agreed. I would absolutely take a chance that he's back healthy in early to mid August some time and work out a deal with the Rays for Ramos. Would be a huge upgrade at the catcher position, and because of the injury I can't imagine we'd have to give up that much in a trade.

Archived