Brewer Fanatic

Would You Trade...

Thames & Aguilar for Josh Bell? No way. The only positives for the Brewers in that deal are saving a roster spot since Bell is a switch hitter and saving some money.

My thoughts were that you’re catching a guy before he hits his prime. It wasn’t a knock on Aguilar or Thames but achieving that young controlled talent.

I can see the point, but I think I'd rather have Aguilar than Bell going forward. Let alone adding in a useful player like Thames.

Edit: I see BillHallstar pretty much already said this.

Josh Bell and Domingo Santana. What similar stories this season. Where has the power gone? I have to say I'm still pretty high on both these players despite what has happened this season. Not saying I'd trade Aguilar + Thames for Bell...but I still expect big things from Bell in the future.

Josh Bell and Domingo Santana. What similar stories this season. Where has the power gone? I have to say I'm still pretty high on both these players despite what has happened this season. Not saying I'd trade Aguilar + Thames for Bell...but I still expect big things from Bell in the future.

Santana - Yes, there is some "where has it gone?" with him. May be related to his lack of playing time, but the ball has gone over the fence for him less than usual.

Bell - Last year was probably an outlier. His ISO was in the .160ish range all the way up and was .130 for his first season up and is that this year. It was .211 last year. He could still develop/adjust, but he's probably a .250/.340 guy with 15-20 HR and not .270/.350 with 25-30 HR if we put his best of his best together. Going from Pittsburgh to Miller Park may help a bit, but not a ton.

• 11 months later...
Thought this might be a fun thread if anyone has any good “proposals” that pop in their minds. They don’t have to be ones that you hope they do or that even really happen in the MLB but everyone has random thoughts here and there with players.

Mine tonight was...

Thames & Aguilar for Josh Bell

Would you do it? Why, or why not?

Bump.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Thought this might be a fun thread if anyone has any good “proposals” that pop in their minds. They don’t have to be ones that you hope they do or that even really happen in the MLB but everyone has random thoughts here and there with players.

Mine tonight was...

Bump.

Yay you.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Mine tonight was...

Bump.

Yay you.

:laughing Well, thanks. But I really wasn’t patting myself on the back. Seeing Bell’s stat line just reminded me of this. No need to be a grouchy old man all the time...

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Nah, kudos to you, that trade would look amazing right now and I definitely made the wrong call on that.

It's only natural, I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to bump the threads where people said "Bellinger isn't enough for Braun, he's never even going to be as good as Braun" . :)

Nah, kudos to you, that trade would look amazing right now and I definitely made the wrong call on that.

It's only natural, I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to bump the threads where people said "Bellinger isn't enough for Braun, he's never even going to be as good as Braun" . :)

I’ll still keep Braun. ;)

I'm thinking I'd pull the trigger. 15 WAR pace 23 year old might solve our problems at 1st.

I'm thinking I'd pull the trigger. 15 WAR pace 23 year old might solve our problems at 1st.

Just extrapolating Bellinger’s stat line while playing half his games at Miller qualifies as indecent public behavior in most states. I’m not sure what drives me crazier: missing Trout by one spot in the draft, or not getting Bellinger for Braun two years ago. That decision by the Dodgers might go down as one of the all-time best “no” calls in trade history. What a heartbreaker for us.

Bellinger would probably be out of baseball living on the streets with a drug problem if they had traded him to us. At least I think that's how the butterfly effect works...

Yeah, I agree with you adambr2. It's another reason why I don't get too caught up in the what could have been type stuff with Braun. I cannot stand Puig and I enjoy Braun. I'm a happy camper with it at the end of the day.

I can't imagine Bellinger was ever one of the '2 prospects'. I think that's more of a fan created urban legend.

It is in fact true that Bellinger wasn't part of a package for Braun. The prospects were of lower quality.

I can't imagine Bellinger was ever one of the '2 prospects'. I think that's more of a fan created urban legend.

It is in fact true that Bellinger wasn't part of a package for Braun. The prospects were of lower quality.

I don’t have any inside information, and it was a while ago, but I seem to recall reports from either journalists or industry analysts to the effect that Brewers brass insisted on Bellinger, and the Dodgers said no. Maybe I’m not remembering correctly, though, or perhaps it’s all BS; but it makes for a fun story. Bellinger was well-regraded as a prospect, but was not expected to be a superstar, so it sounds like a credible ask on the Brewers’ part. Oh well—myths and legends...

I was going to say the same as Harvey. I remember the rumors/speculation is that we were holding out for him and they wouldn't include and that's basically why it fell through. Of course we'd need High Heat to verify.

We never got offered Bellinger in a trade. That trade was questionable enough not taking if the prospects were nothingburgers. We weren’t offered a Top 40 prospect and turned it down. Nothing Stearns has done leads me to believe he was or ever will be that dumb.

We never got offered Bellinger in a trade. That trade was questionable enough not taking if the prospects were nothingburgers. We weren’t offered a Top 40 prospect and turned it down. Nothing Stearns has done leads me to believe he was or ever will be that dumb.

Yeah it seemed like clickbait from Brewcrewball. There's just no way Stearns lost out on Bellinger+ for Braun because of insistence on a 2nd prospect in an already lopsided trade.

I don’t have any inside information, and it was a while ago, but I seem to recall reports from either journalists or industry analysts to the effect that Brewers brass insisted on Bellinger, and the Dodgers said no. Maybe I’m not remembering correctly, though, or perhaps it’s all BS; but it makes for a fun story. Bellinger was well-regraded as a prospect, but was not expected to be a superstar, so it sounds like a credible ask on the Brewers’ part. Oh well—myths and legends...

I remember hearing the same exact thing when that trade fell through and that was the reason why.

Also, funny how many people were so adamant about NOT wanting Josh Bell! Don't get me wrong, at the time that was asked, I wouldn't have wanted to do it and I'm guessing the Pirates wouldn't have done it anyway, so no harm, no foul.

But that's a pretty good call.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• 2 weeks later...

Even though like I said I think there's no chance Bellinger was ever in the Braun talks, I'm going to post this lineup for fun:

1) Yelich LF

2) Cain CF

3) Bellinger RF

4) Hiura 2B

5) Moustakas 3B

6) Grandal C

7) Shaw 1B

8) Arcia SS

The order can be whatever, I just tried to split the lefties up, but that's going to be a historically good offense, is it not?

Archived