Brewer Fanatic

Would You Trade...

Thought this might be a fun thread if anyone has any good “proposals” that pop in their minds. They don’t have to be ones that you hope they do or that even really happen in the MLB but everyone has random thoughts here and there with players.

Mine tonight was...

Thames & Aguilar for Josh Bell

Would you do it? Why, or why not?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Burnes, Woodruff, Ray, Grisham, and Erceg for Realmuto and Castro

No. Because you’re already doing them a favor by taking Castro. It should lessen the sting.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

That’s too much upper level talent in my opinion. Not that overall the value is off, but you shouldn’t be trading 5 guys at AA and above. You could probably swap out Grisham for something else.

I don't think I would do that, but it has me thinking about Realmuto... Do people think it's possible to get Realmuto without giving up Hiura, Burnes, or Peralta?

Would something like Woodruff, Ray, and a 3rd lesser piece be enough?

Adding Realmuto could really solidify this lineup for the rest of this season and the next couple, IMO.

Thames & Aguilar for Josh Bell? No way. The only positives for the Brewers in that deal are saving a roster spot since Bell is a switch hitter and saving some money.

My thoughts were that you’re catching a guy before he hits his prime. It wasn’t a knock on Aguilar or Thames but achieving that young controlled talent.

I don't think I would do that, but it has me thinking about Realmuto... Do people think it's possible to get Realmuto without giving up Hiura, Burnes, or Peralta?

Would something like Woodruff, Ray, and a 3rd lesser piece be enough?

Adding Realmuto could really solidify this lineup for the rest of this season and the next couple, IMO.

I don't think it's possible which is why I focused on higher-level talent quantity with Burnes as a centerpiece. I do think it's a lot, but I wouldn't blink.

Thames & Aguilar for Josh Bell? No way. The only positives for the Brewers in that deal are saving a roster spot since Bell is a switch hitter and saving some money.

My thoughts were that you’re catching a guy before he hits his prime. It wasn’t a knock on Aguilar or Thames but achieving that young controlled talent.

Nice idea, but we aren't in the position to be trading away important major league talent when we are in first place.

Nice idea, but we aren't in the position to be trading away important major league talent when we are in first place.

Yeah in no way do I think it happens or maybe even should with our current situation or heck, that the Pirates would even do it. But maybe this is how you keep extending that window.

Maybe. You're getting Realmuto without having to give up (arguably) our two top prospects, Hiura and Peralta. Hard to argue with that, and Castro fills a need too.

I agree with Plush that you'd ideally like to substitute in some lower level talent for some of the AA level talent. Maybe see if you can substitute in Diplan and Lutz for Grisham and Woodruff.

Maybe. You're getting Realmuto without having to give up (arguably) our two top prospects, Hiura and Peralta. Hard to argue with that, and Castro fills a need too.

I agree with Plush that you'd ideally like to substitute in some lower level talent for some of the AA level talent. Maybe see if you can substitute in Diplan and Lutz for Grisham and Woodruff.

The problem is that if the Marlins aren't getting our two best, you can bet they are going to be stingy about wanting a ton of talent on the backside. Without Hiura, they rightfully will ask for a lot more.

Hiura, Arcia, Peralta, and Ray

For

de Grom

Does it all hinge on Hiura for most?

Is it even enough to get a #1 pitcher?

If they did this deal it would be very difficult for me to hang in there as a fan. I would not trade Hiura or Peralta, let alone both of them. Especially for a pitcher.

Thought this might be a fun thread if anyone has any good “proposals” that pop in their minds. They don’t have to be ones that you hope they do or that even really happen in the MLB but everyone has random thoughts here and there with players.

Mine tonight was...

Thames & Aguilar for Josh Bell

Would you do it? Why, or why not?

What the heck? I'll grant you that I think Bell probably is a bit better of a HR hitter than shown this year, but he's not a great defender and nothing special as a 1B hitter. I'd argue that he'd be in AAA for the Brewers.

So other than the annoyance of having to move Thames/Aguilar around a bit to bad defensive positions to get their bats in the lineup, they are way, way better than Bell.

Bell is only 2 years younger than Aguilar.

They are both under team control for the same amount of time (until 2022).

Thames is 31 but has the perfect amount of control: Next year + a team option for 2020.

I've always been a skeptic of Aguilar until recently assuming that he's maybe improved his launch angle to move into being a very good MLB hitter, but I'd probably wager that Aguilar is more valauble than Bell over the next 4.5 years. He's already a better defender.

This might be the whiskey talking but what about.......

Braves receive:

Santana

Davies

Brewers receive:

Touki Toussaint (RHP)

William Contreras ©

Kyle Muller (LHP)

Cristian Pache (OF)

Probably selling low on Santana and Davies here and this is probably an off season deal more so than a deadline or in season trade. I like Contreras and Muller the most. Toussaint is the big name but I think he probably slides into the bullpen more so than he is a starter.

Pache is more of a defensive OF with a plus arm and plus speed. He bats like Ichiro where he starts to run as he is hitting so not much power in his swing. Pache could definitely hit for power if his swing can be fixed. Very raw offensively.

Verified Member
Brewers don't do that. I know the Braves have an excellent system, but you're not even getting one top 10 organizational prospect for two major league pieces that have been above-average as recently at last year, are still very young, and are under team control for several more seasons.

Thanks for passing that along, Eye Black. As you say, that's pretty uninteresting from the Brewers' perspective, but perhaps to be expected from a Mariner's site. Vincent is just a guy, who has been pretty bad this year but ok-ish in the past and isn't young at all. De Jong seems like young fodder, as he hasn't really succeeded at AAA (or AA, really). And I'm always leery of any minor leaguer that is on their third organization at age 24 and was once traded for cash....

If the Brewers decide to trade of a player at a potential position of surplus like Thames, it should either be to fill a major hole on the MLB roster to help the team now, or for prospects to help re-load the farm system. This proposal manages to do neither...

Archived