Brewer Fanatic

Peralta up; Boone Logan DFA'd

OnaBadger58
Do we have any knowledge on what kind of inning limit they might have him on this year? How do we stretch him out to give us innings into the late season?

I was just looking into this.

He jumped from 82 IP in 2016 to 120 IP last season. 150 IP is about what would be likely for this year's target. He's at about 82 IP after tonight's outing.

For a quick & dirty guesstimate, if a typical SP averages about 5 starts per month & let's say 5 innings per start on average, that'd see Freddy hitting the 150 innings mark in September.

Seems like you could skip him a few times, especially with Davies & hopefully Nelson coming back, & keep him under a healthy innings increase. And maybe even keep him available for use in the bullpen in the postseason if we make it there.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we ride him for awhile here all we can hope for is him being a pen asset late season. Ive been downright stunned by his start as I assumed he was all set to be another pen weapon. Having him in that role for the playoffs is far from worst case. You see a lot of teams limit their starters to 4 innings in the playoffs. Hader Jeffress Knebel isnt going to be enough to cover a series. Having peralta in that mix helps a lot even if its 4 ip a series. Albers barnes taylor should probably see run when the starter fails their early game stint. Add jennings suter and whatever starters dont make the 4 as inning eaters should do the trick.

I'd prefer to bring Davies back into the rotation and send Peralta down simply because Davies has closed seasons well. Anderson needs to find his last year stuff. We don't know if we can expect Chacin and Guerra to hold up. We don't know how nelson returns.

You can either ride peralta now and hope we have 4 for the playoffs or see which of our 6 (anderson nelson suter davies chacin guerra) can place themselves in that 4 with a, no word play needed, ace up our sleeve.

If we ride him for awhile here all we can hope for is him being a pen asset late season. Ive been downright stunned by his start as I assumed he was all set to be another pen weapon. Having him in that role for the playoffs is far from worst case. You see a lot of teams limit their starters to 4 innings in the playoffs. Hader Jeffress Knebel isnt going to be enough to cover a series. Having peralta in that mix helps a lot even if its 4 ip a series. Albers barnes taylor should probably see run when the starter fails their early game stint. Add jennings suter and whatever starters dont make the 4 as inning eaters should do the trick.

I'd prefer to bring Davies back into the rotation and send Peralta down simply because Davies has closed seasons well. Anderson needs to find his last year stuff. We don't know if we can expect Chacin and Guerra to hold up. We don't know how nelson returns.

You can either ride peralta now and hope we have 4 for the playoffs or see which of our 6 (anderson nelson suter davies chacin guerra) can place themselves in that 4 with a, no word play needed, ace up our sleeve.

Have a feeling Burnes and a trade piece are going to play a part in this story when it is all said and done.

• 1 month later...
CC says Peralta's innings haven't been discussed yet. Really?

It is a huge issue if he is our best pitcher come late September/early August.

Coachspeak for - we have discussed it, but don't want to go over particulars with the press at this time.

I was really surprised that Peralta wasn't optioned after his last appearance. He has numerous factors working against him -- 1) They need to control his innings, 2) They have enough days off the rest of the day to work around a need for a 5th starter most of the time, and 3) He isn't pitching well.

The potential is definitely there but the control is a big problem right now. I'm surprised they've been as patient as they have with him at his age while Woodruff hasn't been given the same benefit.

The potential is definitely there but the control is a big problem right now. I'm surprised they've been as patient as they have with him at his age while Woodruff hasn't been given the same benefit.

It's almost as if the organization is higher on Peralta than Woodruff or something.

It's almost as if the organization is higher on Peralta than Woodruff or something.

Seemed like a reasonable observation as both were lower top 100 prospects, both good stuff, perhaps Woodruff even better, and Woodruff is several years older with much more refined command, and I simply said I was surprised. Didn't require a sarcastic, condescending reply, but you do what you often do.

Archived