Brewer Fanatic

Peralta up; Boone Logan DFA'd

OnaBadger58
I wouldn't worry about inning limits too much, because the Brewers can easily utilize September callups to preserve arms with all their SP options. For all we know this could also be a good spot to showcase Peralta at the MLB level a few times for teams viewing him via trade to get a really good look at outside of CO Springs.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't worry about inning limits too much, because the Brewers can easily utilize September callups to preserve arms with all their SP options. For all we know this could also be a good spot to showcase Peralta at the MLB level a few times for teams viewing him via trade to get a really good look at outside of CO Springs.

good point

It is an issue. At this pace he will be shut down in August. They need him tested and able to go 6 strong on September.

Also, DS will not trade Peralta or Hiura. This is no showcase, Peralta is the real deal.

I think you just told us why we should worry. Heat of the pennant race and we must depend on call ups to keep us afloat...sounds real promising.

I think you just told us why we should worry. Heat of the pennant race and we must depend on call ups to keep us afloat...sounds real promising.

So you got that out of a post that said either Peralta's up as part of a showcase that would deal him (if that's the case, who cares what his innings limit is?), or guys like a healthy Davies and Jimmy Nelson added to MLB rotation options would give the Brewers the flexibility of shelving Peralta for a week here and there (the only young arm currently on the 40 man with an innings limit concern at this point)??

Guys brought up in September wouldn't be shoved into an every 4th day starting role - having a pile of pitchers with MLB experience extending beyond a typical 25 man gameday roster would give the Brewers a ton of flexibility on how to use the bullpen or even establish a "bullpen game" without worrying at all about taxing late inning relievers. Would going into a September game with the mindset of giving Peralta the first 3-4 innings followed by Miley or Suter for 2-3 more before turning the game over to a pile of quality relievers be such a bad thing?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Too many?

Granted Chacin and Gurrera (sp?) but Anderson is just so so. Imo miley is pretty bad. Peralta is, at best, 1 year away. Davies is interesting when healthy. Woodruff is below par. Onlt 2 or maybe 3 of our pitchers are good enuf to still have command at 100 pitches.

If we get 5 innings and give up 3 runs, ill take it.

Chacin and Guerra have been terrific. Anderson has shown flashes of being who he was last year. I don't believe in Miley either, but he was good when healthy. Davies was great last year, and is still young. Peralta was electric his first start and tonight. Hopefully Nelson comes back sooner rather than later. And you totally forgot Suter, who has probably been the most consistent starter of anyone over the last month. But he doesn't throw in the mid 90s, so most overlook him.

With this electric pen, your dang right I'll take 5 innings and 2-3 runs. That is going to win them most games.

If neither stays in the rotation permanently, should be able to keep the innings down with all the shuffling of Peralta and Woodruff. Sacrifice is routine and consistency, which may be a trade-off they're willing to take.

Logan was garbage. Glad they're moving on.

Jimmy Nelson will move into the rotation at some point and that gives a natural reason to move Peralta out. Also I'm a firm believer that if the Brewers are in it next month they will trade for a SP.

Jimmy Nelson will move into the rotation at some point

This is obviously what is planned, but is anyone else concerned that we are taking this for granted? The guy had a major injury to his throwing shoulder and has already had his return date pushed back (we were told June at the start of the year) with no defined timetable to return. And even if/when he does return it’ll be with 2-3 months left in the season, with no spring training, and certainly a short leash for pitch counts and 10-DL stints.

Just saying, while I really hope to be wrong, I for one am not banking on Jimmy Nelson to make a big impact in 2018.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Jimmy Nelson will move into the rotation at some point

This is obviously what is planned, but is anyone else concerned that we are taking this for granted? The guy had a major injury to his throwing shoulder and has already had his return date pushed back (we were told June at the start of the year) with no defined timetable to return. And even if/when he does return it’ll be with 2-3 months left in the season, with no spring training, and certainly a short leash for pitch counts and 10-DL stints.

Just saying, while I really hope to be wrong, I for one am not banking on Jimmy Nelson to make a big impact in 2018.

Agreed. It's June 19th and he hasn't thrown off a mound yet. When he's back he's back, but I wouldn't expect anything from Nelson at this point.

Agreed. I think some are setting themselves up for bigtime disappointment if they think Nelson will be a contributing factor this season.

I hope I am wrong.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I’m not going to make any definitive comments about Nelson...because honestly I see a lot of people throw things out there on a topic they know little about. Nelson is not a typical shoulder injury so he is even harder to predict.

That being said where Nelson is at in his rehab is a total mystery to us. We haven’t had an update in awhile and even when we get an update we don’t know what that means for Nelson. We don’t know the pace of his rehab like the Brewers know internally. We can point to past examples, but honestly that can be really inaccurate.

The Brewers don’t have to give updates so it is possible we have missed good updates or missed bad updates. We just don’t know. You can probably bank on Nelson being healthy by September, but I don’t know how much you can bank on his impact. Our rotation isn’t good, but there really isn’t any dead weight. So not like he is an automatic improvement anywhere regardless of how he performs.

Regarding his pitch count or innings being limited upon returning...that seems wrong. I certainly don’t think his injury is going to impact that outside of his first couple starts back. He won’t get much work in before winter...not sure that will be much of a concern.

Nelson did mention a couple of days ago he is working toward throwing 150 ft on flat ground. So nobody does know for sure if he will pitch again this year but we do know he is a long ways away. I would think at least a couple of months to pitch on flat ground, then the mound, then rehab starts to work his way back up.

Peralta can not stay in the rotation the rest of the year, that would be too big of an innings jump for him.

He's only at 75 innings right now. His limit is likely 150 and they are only about 2 weeks away from the halfway point. I can see a 6 man rotation at some point or skipping his turn a couple times and that would keep him at his target.

Peralta can not stay in the rotation the rest of the year, that would be too big of an innings jump for him.

He's only at 75 innings right now. His limit is likely 150 and they are only about 2 weeks away from the halfway point. I can see a 6 man rotation at some point or skipping his turn a couple times and that would keep him at his target.

I know you keep throwing it out there, but they're not going to a 6 man rotation. They need the arm in the bullpen, not another starter. They have basically been using a 4 1/2 man rotation all season.

If Peralta stays in the rotation all year, even using a very conservative number of 5 innings per start, he would rack up another 90 innings. That's 165. And more likely it would be closer to 180. They can't just keep him on the 25 man and skip his start a few times. I mean, they could, but that would be a waste of a roster spot for way too many games.

Maybe they ride him until Davies is back, send him down and he can skip a couple starts, limit his outings here and there, and then you'll have him fresh for the stretch run. He can come up and replace whoever is injured/ ineffective at that time.

I agree Nelson isn't even in the picture. If and when he comes all the way back, we'll see where things stand. Nothing to even plan for at this point though.

I know you keep throwing it out there, but they're not going to a 6 man rotation. They need the arm in the bullpen, not another starter. They have basically been using a 4 1/2 man rotation all season.

If Peralta stays in the rotation all year, even using a very conservative number of 5 innings per start, he would rack up another 90 innings. That's 165. And more likely it would be closer to 180. They can't just keep him on the 25 man and skip his start a few times. I mean, they could, but that would be a waste of a roster spot for way too many games.

Maybe they ride him until Davies is back, send him down and he can skip a couple starts, limit his outings here and there, and then you'll have him fresh for the stretch run. He can come up and replace whoever is injured/ ineffective at that time.

I agree Nelson isn't even in the picture. If and when he comes all the way back, we'll see where things stand. Nothing to even plan for at this point though.

There are a lot of ways to reduce innings. He will miss a start over the ASB, plus they will probably line him up after to hit a couple of off days in August, where they might send him down for 10ish days and get a couple of 'starts' there that only go 2-3 innings. Then September happens and its easy to keep a starter to 5 innings and maybe skip a start.

First he has to prove he can stick.

Verified Member
Why not try a 6-man rotation for a while to keep our SP arms fresh? The bullpen should be fine because we have a number of guys you can cycle through from AAA, and several of our high-leverage guys can easily go multiple innings per appearance. If you want 13 P on the roster, you could also send Domingo down to fix his swing and just play Braun/Thames in the OF.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Why not try a 6-man rotation for a while to keep our SP arms fresh? The bullpen should be fine because we have a number of guys you can cycle through from AAA, and several of our high-leverage guys can easily go multiple innings per appearance. If you want 13 P on the roster, you could also send Domingo down to fix his swing and just play Braun/Thames in the OF.

Starters don't like their routine messed with. A 6 man rotation messes with that routine quite a bit. I know the idea has been brought up before, but starters are a funny bunch. I feel like it would be easy to say "they should just adjust", and yeah, it should be easy to do, but baseball players (as we know) are creatures of habit, and starters moreso than most.

Starters don't like their routine messed with. A 6 man rotation messes with that routine quite a bit. I know the idea has been brought up before, but starters are a funny bunch. I feel like it would be easy to say "they should just adjust", and yeah, it should be easy to do, but baseball players (as we know) are creatures of habit, and starters moreso than most.

And yet they don't complain in the playoffs when starters go 3 days, 6 days, or over a week between starts.

A better question may be why turn the world upside down to get Zach Davies in the rotation? Why in the world would you mess with a formula that's working?

Not saying it could never work for any team, ever. But trying it with this team at this time sort of seems like doing it just to be cute.

I don't understand how Peralta hasn't earned his spot every 5th day at this point, atleast until Nelson returns.

Yeah, the Twins game was a stinker, struggling with the 6 walks, but my goodness. Even if you have to limit his innings and skip some starts or something, this guy can help the team win without being a detriment to his future.

Archived