Brewer Fanatic

2018-06-18: Brewers (Chacín) at Pirates (Williams) 6:05 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 1-0]

Eye Black
This is a big issue that DS needs to figure out and I think you have to figure the Bullpen will regress a bit this second half. The hitting is a major concern at this point and not sure if this current lineup can get them over the top.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Counsell with one explanation for on-again, off-again offense: "I think that’s what you’re going to get if we’re reliant on the same guys, the two of them, to do the damage. When they don’t have a good night, which is going to happen, it’s going to be tough to plate runs."

Calling out some guys. I like it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Counsell with one explanation for on-again, off-again offense: "I think that’s what you’re going to get if we’re reliant on the same guys, the two of them, to do the damage. When they don’t have a good night, which is going to happen, it’s going to be tough to plate runs."

Does he think the other guys aren't trying?

I think his comment is ridiculous.

Who are the 2 guys that everyone is relying on? Cain and Yelich?

So Shaw and Jesus are relying on them as well?

Ridiculous comment. Simple fact of the matter is that once we get past our #5 hitter, and some nights #6, we are screwed. When our 6 - 9 in the order are automatic outs, what do we expect? Eric Sogard should never, and I mean NEVER see another at bat in a major league uniform, yet we keep trotting him out there. Santana and Arcia NEED to be sent to AAA to figure some things out. They have nothing to offer this team offensively. I'm not saying to give up on them, but they need to get things right, and in a major league line-up isn't the place to do it. Sogard is a lost cause. Him I have completely given up on.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I'm kind of with Turbo on this one. What does it say to Shaw and Aguilar to make a comment like that?

If you're annoyed about the offense Craig, which you should be, make some damn changes instead of calling out the guys who don't deserve to be called out.

You've got 2 pretty nice young catchers in Colorado Springs that you refuse to give any sort of long look to. You continue to keep Arcia up despite his atrocious offense. You inexplicably continue to employ Eric Sogard and have wasted nearly 100 plate appearances on him this year despite numerous better options.

To Craig's point, I shudder to think where this offense would be without Yelich and Cain. Aside from that, you've got a good thing with the Thames/Aguilar platoon, and Shaw, and that's about it. Despite his bad luck Braun just flat out isn't that good anymore for a corner OF/1B bat, yet you continue to put him in a run producing slot in the order. I have no idea why Santana is even still up.

I'm also totally done with Darnell Coles and can't understand why the organization isn't. His fault or not, he's got a several year track record now of inconsistent feast or famine offenses which seem to remain the case despite a rebuilt lineup. For him to get to add Cain and Yelich to his lineup in the off season and somehow pull off being shutout 10 times before the end of June is just a remarkable accomplishment in a very bad way.

Verified Member

Does he think the other guys aren't trying?

I think his comment is ridiculous.

Who are the 2 guys that everyone is relying on? Cain and Yelich?

So Shaw and Jesus are relying on them as well?

Ridiculous comment. Simple fact of the matter is that once we get past our #5 hitter, and some nights #6, we are screwed. When our 6 - 9 in the order are automatic outs, what do we expect? Eric Sogard should never, and I mean NEVER see another at bat in a major league uniform, yet we keep trotting him out there. Santana and Arcia NEED to be sent to AAA to figure some things out. They have nothing to offer this team offensively. I'm not saying to give up on them, but they need to get things right, and in a major league line-up isn't the place to do it. Sogard is a lost cause. Him I have completely given up on.

Agreed. I would say four guys are the offense.

I'm kind of with Turbo on this one. What does it say to Shaw and Aguilar to make a comment like that?

If you're annoyed about the offense Craig, which you should be, make some damn changes instead of calling out the guys who don't deserve to be called out.

You've got 2 pretty nice young catchers in Colorado Springs that you refuse to give any sort of long look to. You continue to keep Arcia up despite his atrocious offense. You inexplicably continue to employ Eric Sogard and have wasted nearly 100 plate appearances on him this year despite numerous better options.

To Craig's point, I shudder to think where this offense would be without Yelich and Cain. Aside from that, you've got a good thing with the Thames/Aguilar platoon, and Shaw, and that's about it. Despite his bad luck Braun just flat out isn't that good anymore for a corner OF/1B bat, yet you continue to put him in a run producing slot in the order. I have no idea why Santana is even still up.

I'm also totally done with Darnell Coles and can't understand why the organization isn't. His fault or not, he's got a several year track record now of inconsistent feast or famine offenses which seem to remain the case despite a rebuilt lineup. For him to get to add Cain and Yelich to his lineup in the off season and somehow pull off being shutout 10 times before the end of June is just a remarkable accomplishment in a very bad way.

I'm definitely on board with some changes, but the options in AAA aren't that great either, to be honest.

I thought we'd have all of this OF depth but Braun and Santana have struggled big time, and the depth at AAA (Broxton, Phillips) haven't done much either. Phillips showed some promise at the end of last season at the big league level, but he looked completely overmatched in his big league ABs this year and he has not really been hitting in Colorado Springs. Broxton has started to pick it up a bit of late, but we all know he is super streaky and a K machine. That said, I think Santana needs to go down so I wouldn't mind seeing Broxton come up for him.

At C, I think it's time for Nottingham to come back up and get a chance at seeing the majority of the starts. Pina has been a black hole offensively and Kratz has tumbled back to earth after his hot start. Bethancourt's numbers look good but they are completely CO Springs driven.

I'm not sure what the answer is at SS. Miller's 10 days in the minors is almost up and he's going to play some SS, like it or not. Sogard needs to go but Arcia also needs to go down to figure things out. Can Dylan Moore play SS? Release Sogard, send down Arcia, and bring up Miller/Moore? Miller, Moore, and Perez hold down SS as best they can for a month and then see if Arcia has figured things out or make a move for a SS at the deadline.

I think they need to try something. You can't just keep trotting out the equivalent of 3 pitchers in your lineup everyday.

Reporter: Why has the offense been so inconsistent?

Counsell: We need more consistency.

I didn't read his comments as calling anyone out, simply stating the truth. When the guys who should be our best hitters aren't getting it done, the offense sucks because everyone else in the lineup sucks. That's a fact. If he's calling anyone out, it's Stearns for keeping Arcia, Perez, and Sogard on the roster.

Reporter: Why has the offense been so inconsistent?

Counsell: We need more consistency.

I didn't read his comments as calling anyone out, simply stating the truth. When the guys who should be our best hitters aren't getting it done, the offense sucks because everyone else in the lineup sucks. That's a fact. If he's calling anyone out, it's Stearns for keeping Arcia, Perez, and Sogard on the roster.

Who are the guys who should be our best hitters? Seems to me our best hitters are getting it done pretty consistantly, it's the rest of the line-up that is killing us.

Cain, Yelich, and Shaw (for the most part) are getting it done. Jesus is a gift. Thames just back from the DL. Braun isn't getting it done. Is he one of the best hitters you are talking about?

That leaves Villar, Pina, Arcia, Santana. Are these the guys that should be our BEST hitters? Everyone expected a lot more from Santana, so I think he is probably one you are talking about.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Shaw and Aguilar were not in the lineup last night. So maybe he was referring only to last nights game not that those two haven’t been streaky themselves.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This team needs a bat. This is not a funk, it's who the team is.

^^^This^^^

I'm curious as to who your bats were last year? I am a new Brewer fan and it's hard to imagine how this team got to within 1 game of the wildcard? I mean, if Yelish and Cain weren't around and Aguilar wasn't a regular???

At any rate, not sure if Miller is going to convert to SS. His first game in the minors he had two errors. Anything worth a shot though by playing him and also playing Aguilar at 3rd when needed. But the bottom line is that we need another bat to compete in the playoffs. Our bullpen is solid, not sure if our starters are for real so we could use an ace. But the Brewers didn't make a move last year when the playoffs was on the line, so not sure we can expect a move. I mean this isn't the Astros. If it were then I'd go with an Ace first over a much needed bat.

I've seen some talk, on here, about Santana going to AAA but I don't think that's the answer. Sogard on this team and getting bats, shows how we have little depth anyways. Let alone sending Santana down.

I mean, even if Counsel stops the musical chairs and we don't have any of our bats with 'rest' days, we are only maybe 6 deep at best. The last 3 spots are just wasted at bats statistically. If we have guys 'on rest' then sometimes we only have 4 or at most 5 guys who can swing at this level.

Archived