Brewer Fanatic

2018-06-17: Phillies (Nola) at Brewers (Anderson) 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 10-9]

Eye Black
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no idea which site is correct,

but aguilar has the 2nd best rbi per AB

So you don’t think Aguilar is in a bit of a slump? Just curious.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I understand that you normally don’t want to use your best relievers when you’re behind. But, when they haven’t pitched in 3 or 4 days, and you’re facing an offensively challenged team that has already gone to the bullpen in the fifth inning, maybe it would make sense to use some of your better relievers to try to keep the game close and count on your offense to score a couple of runs over the last 4 innings.

Using Logan in the sixth yesterday, letting a struggling Anderson start the sixth today, and then going to Williams in the 7th today allowed the Phillies to put tied and one run games out of reach. IMHO this was a bad weekend for Counsell.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Our very own Maas brought up a very good point on Twitter. He said as long as Counsell continues to refuse to use Hader with any deficit, he'll continue to pitch every 4-5 days.

I've been on the bullpen Hader bandwagon for a long time but his usage schedule makes it totally pointless not to be starting him.

I understand that you normally don’t want to use your best relievers when you’re behind. But, when they haven’t pitched in 3 or 4 days, and you’re facing an offensively challenged team that has already gone to the bullpen in the fifth inning, maybe it would make sense to use some of your better relievers to try to keep the game close and count on your offense to score a couple of runs over the last 4 innings.

Using Logan in the sixth yesterday, letting a struggling Anderson start the sixth today, and then going to Williams in the 7th today allowed the Phillies to put tied and one run games out of reach. IMHO this was a bad weekend for Counsell.

I agree with you 100% on this. It's more important to give them regular work than to save them strictly for protecting leads because you never know when that will be. Use them even in blowouts just to keep them sharp.

I agree with this for the most part. Anderson has done nothing to expect him to go out and shut them down after you cam back to tie it on the ace for them. It was a game that required you to hold them get back up score and win the game going away. Just not good management.

Not when he has 11 rbis this month and is still batting .290 for the year

shaw is batting .189 the last 30 days...

I have yet to see one post about him slumping.

If aguilars average dips below .270 and he isnt getting tons of rbis

i will start to worry

He is 2-4 today with an rbi

RBIs are not a great way to judge a guy. It’s great that he’s driving them in but it’s probably more so about his place in the lineup than much of else. Oh and plenty have talked about Shaw. I’ve even mentioned he shouldn’t start against lefties.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Lol Aguilar doesn’t have any kind of track record to be “slumping”. He is what he is. A guy who can mash now and them but isn’t someone you’d want in the middle of your lineup with any regularity.

I have this fear that Hader is nursing some little injury that they don't want anyone to know about. I can't imagine any other reason for some of these recent bullpen decisions.

Hader should have been a starter anyways. He will never max out his value in the pen. An argument for a different day...

OMG Counsell, you got Logan up in the bullpen?

CC has really ticked me off this weekend. Houser's thrown up two times and you still leave him in to give up another run. Now he's probably going to put in Logan ahead of an overrested Hader and Knebel? I realize the game's probably out of hand but my God....

Brewers batters:

Name[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]OPS+

Jesus Aguilar[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]137

Christian Yelich*[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]127

Travis Shaw*[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]124

Lorenzo Cain[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]124

Ryan Braun[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]99

Jonathan Villar#[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]95

Domingo Santana [space][/space][space][/space]83

Manny Pina[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]66

Orlando Arcia[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]36

Seems pretty silly to be questioning Aguilar's slump given even after his poor start to June he is still our best batter...

I have this fear that Hader is nursing some little injury that they don't want anyone to know about. I can't imagine any other reason for some of these recent bullpen decisions.

Because CC's a simp?

Believe me, I considered that as well. But if Counsell really were this stupid he wouldn't be able to walk out to the mound to make all these stupid changes without falling down more often. The minor injury theory is all I can come up with, let the Phillies think they have to deal with him, even if you know he can't go.

I'm just grasping at straws here man, lol.

Brewers batters:

Name[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]OPS+

Jesus Aguilar[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]137

Christian Yelich*[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]127

Travis Shaw*[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]124

Lorenzo Cain[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]124

Ryan Braun[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]99

Jonathan Villar#[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]95

Domingo Santana [space][/space][space][/space]83

Manny Pina[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]66

Orlando Arcia[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]36

Seems pretty silly to be questioning Aguilar's slump given even after his poor start to June he is still our best batter...

So you can’t be in a slump if you just have one humongous month during the course of the year? I’ll remember that one. :laughing

Come on now. He’s in a slump. (Maybe even breaking out today) It’s not the end of the world to acknowledge it. It’s not even a terrible one.

Braun on in the 8th to hit that bases empty grand slam.

So you can’t be in a slump if you just have one humongous month during the course of the year? I’ll remember that one.

That would have to be some month to have an overall OPS+ above 135...

He is in a slump, but he's also been pretty clearly NOT the problem with this offense...

IMHO the issues with the offense (in decreasing importance) are:

1) 3 Black holes at the bottom (C/Pina, SS, P)

2) Santana/Villar, while not black holes are horrible at the plate (High K, swing at anything, Few pitches per AB).

3) Braun regressing.

Archived