Brewer Fanatic

2018-06-16: Phillies (Eflin) at Brewers (Guerra) 3:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 4-1]

Eye Black

11 innings. Yet, Erik Kratz is totally fine with you because he's hit well for like 25 at-bats.

Logan has never been a good reliever, but he's not atrocious throughout his career.

:laughing What are you even talking about? I've barely ever said a word about Kratz and he's a backup catcher that barely moves the needle one way or another.

You admit 'Logan has never been a good reliever' yet you defend him in a pen full of good relievers. And 11 innings is a pretty good sample for a mediocre LOOGY to get DFAed, especially when you don't need a LOOGY. You don't give huge leashes to guys that were never that good in the first place. Ask Neftali Feliz or Tommy Milone.

I said he's never been a good reliever. He's also never been a bad reliever minus a season or two throughout his career. Every bullpen needs one or two of those guys. You can't have an entire bullpen of Josh Hader's and JJ's. He's actually been a pretty consistent back-end reliever for a long time now.

Sure you can. Maybe not all Hader and JJ, but all of Hader, Knebel, Jeffress, Barnes and Williams are really high end quality relievers, possible late inning guys. That's 5.

You don't need to have a trash can at the back end of your pen if you have better options in the minors. He's got to produce now. Being an 'ok' reliever for his career doesn't buy him a ton of leash now.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Counsell is too locked into ONLY using Hader in tied/lead situations. They were down one run at that point, and it was as good a place as any to use your best reliever to keep the game close.

Hader isn't a LOOGY (obviously, I guess), but saving him for ONLY tied/ahead situations is just like using your closer only in the 9th inning with a 1 to 3 run lead. It's restrictive and stupid.

BA with the “it’s easy to second guess when a move goes wrong” referring to CC’s decision to pitch Boone Logan. I don’t think it’s second guessing when everyone in the park knew how that was going to go before it happened.

Yeah, Rock is ever the company man. There's no 'second guessing.' Badically everyone was screaming WHAT?! from the moment they saw him warming up.

It can cost a lot of money to just bring up any reliever who's doing well in Colorado Springs. You want to make sure it's worth that money before making assumptions. It's not all about who the most talented players are, if so, Vlad Jr. would've been in the major league to start the season for the Blue Jays. I'd want to have a really high level of confidence in some guy before throwing away half a million dollars on a league minimum contract.

It can cost a lot of money to just bring up any reliever who's doing well in Colorado Springs. You want to make sure it's worth that money before making assumptions. It's not all about who the most talented players are, if so, Vlad Jr. would've been in the major league to start the season for the Blue Jays. I'd want to have a really high level of confidence in some guy before throwing away half a million dollars on a league minimum contract.

Well, we threw away 5 times that much on Logan. I don't know what Nick Ramirez could bring to the table, but I think he's earned the right to prove it's better than what we're getting from Logan. And even selecting Ramirez doesn't lock you into a league minimum deal, he can he optioned st that point.

Otherwise, guys like Houser are already on the 40 man and options.

Nine walks, got picked off twice, and we have only scored one run. Not gonna win doing that no matter if Boone pitched or not.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Stearns has been very clear that everyone on the 40 man is part of the team, and will contribute at the big league level. If someone on the 25 man isn't getting the job done, or they have a reliever who pitched multiple innings, they will absolutely dip into the rest of the 40 man roster in order to bolster the 25 man. Cost is a consideration, but we're playing in an era when teams will and are expected to frequently use the entirety of their 40 man roster.

Dude has literally pitched 11 innings this year, y'all need to ease up. He's not Eric Gagne just yet lol.

Sorta tough to get innings credited when your whip is almost 2.5. He has been around long enough. 16 games and a 2.4 WHIP. His ERA would be around 12.0 if he actually ever did pitch one inning at a time.

That said, he has lost his command years ago. Obviously, we don't have anyone better though as Counsell isn't just throwing games away on purpose. Maybe he pitches 'lights out' in simulation or practice and just needs some more work in games. Whatever the case, we need to send him on assignment if he can't straighten things out and get the WHIP below 2.0. Dude is absolutely frying us. If he is hurt, then give him some rest because he is just awful and has cost us 5 games this year.

This game is CC's fault. Just a flabbergasting move to go to Logan there. Incredibly stupid.

With a completely rested BP, and only down 1 run against a tough team, why would CC go with arguably our absolute worst bullpen dude?

I can't make any sense of it but the game fell away from us really quick after Loggy went in.

Scoring one run lost the game. Boone Logan sucks but the game was lost on offense again.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

How important is it for a playoff team to have a Boone Logan? Not very so investing anything in trying to make him a LOOGY is just wasted time Clouseau Counsell....

No doubt Logan won't make the playoff roster. My guess is that we carry 4 starting pitchers and move a starter to the pen for any playoffs. Logan, Sogard, aren't going to be on any successful playoff team. Don't worry.

Archived