Brewer Fanatic

All-Stars: Prince batting 6th; Peavy starting

crossface21
  • Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Sheets doesn't make it at this point its criminal. He is easily one of the best SP's statistically and he has a history to go with it.

Don't discount the Brewers success as a team also. He's the #1 starter on a 44-32 team. It's totally justifiable to take 3 players from a division leader, but not so much if the team stinks.

I think Cordero should get the nod, being the best closer in the game so far even with his recent struggles. Hardy started off hot enough, but he's since cooled down and I think he is more of a long shot. From best to Hardy I would rank them like this:

Jose Reyes

Jimmy Rollins

Hanely Ramirez

Edgar Renteria

JJ Hardy

I think Sheets is one of the top 10 starters in the National League and should win a trip to the All-Star game. Below is my list of the current top 10 starters in the NL in order, to see how Sheets stacks up. These rankings are my personal opinion and are based largely on ERA, WHIP, Ks and WINS. I don't know when selection is, but there is time from now and the ASB for any pitcher to prove himself more worthy or struggle.

Jake Peavy

Brad Penny

Chris Young

Aaron Harang

John Maine

Derek Lowe

Brandon Webb

Ben Sheets

Cole Hamels

Oliver Perez

John Smoltz

EDIT: I can't figure out how to format the stats correctly.

Can anyone find a site that lists some of the rules and regulations for picking the all-star teams. I know in 2003 they took some of the picks away from the managers and put in the player vote, and I know each team gets 32 players with the last one being decided by the internet vote. But is there a rule on how many pitchers they take, is it somewhere around 12 or 13? What about how many starters they take vs. relief pitchers?

Fielder and Cordero are in, little debate about that. Sheets has two starts before the rosters are selected correct? If he wins both games, I can't see an 11-3 pitcher on a division leading team being snubbed. And the guy does have street cred.

With Hardy, I think it depends how hot (or not) he is between now and the time the selections are made. For example, if he hits a few more HR it will real hard for LaRussa to pass him up. You have to ask, when was the last time a guy who was 2nd in the league in HR and top 5 in RBI was passed over.

Worst case scenerio, don't they still have that "fans vote for the last player" thing? If they do, Hardy is guaranteed to be on that list. Then it's our job to make sure he gets selected.

Quote:
My guess is JJ is the guy added at the end via the fan voting. The last all star spot

JJ is really not that far behind Reyes. Granted there is a very limited time left to vote, but JJ has definitely closed the gap.

Link

JJ won't catch Reyes, but he won't need to worry about being the last man added, IMO. SS with 18 HRs & slick d? That's the easiest backup choice LaRussa's gonna have.

Fielder looks to be on the fast track to superstardom, Ben is probably on-board, JJ as mentioned, CoCo has a shot, Estrada outside shot (possible injury replacement). That's my guess - 2-4 this year, probably 3.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Since Ramirez and Renteria have both been better than Hardy, it will likely be the worst choice LaRussa could make. I really don't think that will happen since I think Renteria will be Atlanta's lone representative.

Reyes, Ramirez and Renteria are all better than JJ, I'll grant.

However, and this is coming from someone who is not a huge JJ fan, how is Rollins better? JJ is hitting much better than Rollins is and their career rate stats are basically identical so there is not even the Prince vs. Pujols argument to be made.

Plus, UZR has Rollins rated at -13 runs below average so far defensively this season, while JJ is at +1. That's a huge margin.

I'm very comfortable saying that JJ is, at worst, the 4th best NL shortstop this season and Rollins has not been in his class.

I disagree about Hardy, obviously. He's far & away the leader at HRs for the position, and actually outclasses Reyes in OPS.

Renteria - .885

Ramirez - .876

Hardy - .862

Reyes - .856

Rollins - .844

For my tastes, I'll take the guy slugging .521. His OBP will rise as he continues to get back in the groove, and the other players seem to be playing about as well as possible (save perhaps Rollins).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I have a hunch that it will be Fielder, CoCo, and Sheets, at least initially, with Hardy (perhaps undeservedly) on the bubble. Four Brewers might be a stretch (not because of merit, mind you).

I do think J.J. would have an excellent shot at winning the last-second fan balloting, though. So that might get the Brewers four players anyway.

NL SS is a loaded position

NL shortstops actually have a higher OPS this season than NL rightfielders, .743 vs .741. That's kind of crazy.

Just think how big the gap would be between the two positions if the NL didn't have Corey Hart bringing up the overall RF OPS number!

Quote:
Its crazy how good those 5 SS are in the NL. In the AL you have Jeter and Tejada. Thats it. I mean there are some decent guys but there are not 5 as good as those 5 in the NL.

Carlos Guillen is having a monster year. Leyland will definitely be adding Guillen barring an injury.

Quote:
Their similar OPS's aren't even close in value.

Wasn't this same argument made when comparing Prince vs. D. Lee? I'm still not seeing the overwhelming advantage. Is there a website that I may reference for this explanation?

Archived