Brewer Fanatic

Andrelton Simmons

This dude is a stud and is pretty cheap until 2020. Would cost a lot but i think hed be the answer to our MI problems. The angels are most likely out of it (Ohtani injury with the mariners and red sox/yanks taking the 2 WC spots this year).

Brewers recieve: SS Andrelton Simmons

Angels recieve: SS Orlando Arcia, P Freddy Peralta, OF Corey Ray

He meets our competing window. Angels get pitching and OF depth plus Orlando to fill their hole at short.

Simmons is one of the most under rated SS in the game - I have him as the 6th best SS in the game behind Lindor / Machado / Correa / Turner / Torres

In terms of Value - He has probably just as much as Yelich

On top of Simmons being one of the most valuable players in the game, the Angels have an extremely, extremely defined window of Mike Trout's contract which also ends in 2020.

This trade would only be possible if the Angels decided that they've again blown it and are blowing the entire thing up, which I don't think they'll do until the deadline of 2020, maybe 2019 deadline if it looks really bleak and yeah, we'd have to add a lot more to it to make it happen.

The Angels didn't just acquire a bunch of good players through free agency and trades the last couple years to trade one of those guys away for prospects.

And as for their chances this year, I was just looking at the standings this morning. They are 7 games out of a wild card spot and in third place 7 games out of first in their division but have more wins than the AL Central leading Indians. They have a lot of ground to make up but their record isn't bad.

Angels are totally not that out of it - sure this year is tough but they have Trout and Ohtani - it's not THAT bleak for them.

Well, Ohtani has gone from great pitcher and good hitter to just "good hitter" for the next 2 years most likely. Garrett Richards is on the mend and Zack Cozart just left with an injury yesterday with Simmons already on the DL.

The Angels also have this uncanny ability to have replacements waiting in the minors that I've never heard of (that's saying something) and all of them seem to have the batting line of .270/.320/.410 with 3 HR in the hitter-friendly PCL [edit: OK, some of the guys they've brought up are actually hitting well in the PCL but also are batting 9th in their very top-heavy order so probably don't have much potential]. Some of the guys they've put in their lineup the past few days aren't going to help much.

We're only approaching the halfway point but I think the Mariners may have buried the Angels (especially given their injury situation) earlier this week.

Trout is approaching HGH Bonds territory in the season he is putting up and the Angels are 7.5-8 games out of the 2nd Wild Card spot/the division and the injuries just got worse.

If the Brewers were willing to part with Travis Shaw, I could maybe see the Angels moving Simmons. Cozart's bat plays way down at third base, and while he'd be a step down from Simmons with the glove, Cozart would still be a good shortstop defensively. Angels would lose some "hit" and OBP when swapping Simmons' bat for Shaw's bat, but they would gain in SLG. I don't think any trade would work without Shaw, and obviously the Brewers would need to add more into this deal. I'm thinking the Angels would be looking for another starter with Ohtani's elbow problems, so they probably ask for Peralta or maybe Woodruff. If they would be looking for a reliever, Taylor Williams seems like the best match for both sides. They will be looking for MLB pieces first, and maybe prospects to round out the back of the package.

Cozart did just go on the DL and I haven't bothered to check how serious his injury is. If he is back healthy and playing 2 weeks from now, it's something that's fun to at least kick around.

Verified Member

The Angels are definitely not going to trade Simmons when he's having a breakout offensive season. He's arguably the best SS in the game right now, better than Machado, and is on a team friendly contract.

We'd be better off trading for Machado, who should be cheaper, and hoping that Arcia can rebound in 2019. Not that I think there is a >1% chance the Brewers get Machado.

If the Brewers were willing to part with Travis Shaw, I could maybe see the Angels moving Simmons. Cozart's bat plays way down at third base, and while he'd be a step down from Simmons with the glove, Cozart would still be a good shortstop defensively. Angels would lose some "hit" and OBP when swapping Simmons' bat for Shaw's bat, but they would gain in SLG. I don't think any trade would work without Shaw, and obviously the Brewers would need to add more into this deal. I'm thinking the Angels would be looking for another starter with Ohtani's elbow problems, so they probably ask for Peralta or maybe Woodruff. If they would be looking for a reliever, Taylor Williams seems like the best match for both sides. They will be looking for MLB pieces first, and maybe prospects to round out the back of the package.

Cozart did just go on the DL and I haven't bothered to check how serious his injury is. If he is back healthy and playing 2 weeks from now, it's something that's fun to at least kick around.

When I was thinking about what might the Angels want if they actually were to seriously consider trading Simmons, my first thought was Shaw. Then also a major league starting pitcher, Guerra or Chacin. I doubt the Brewers would trade Chase and I doubt Suter or Woodruff would do anything for LA. Then throw in a Brewers prospect not name Huira or two and you've probably got a deal.

So we're looking at something like Shaw, Guerra, Ray, and Burnes for Simmons. Fair? Maybe, but I'll pass. Creates too many holes.

When I was thinking about what might the Angels want if they actually were to seriously consider trading Simmons, my first thought was Shaw. Then also a major league starting pitcher, Guerra or Chacin. I doubt the Brewers would trade Chase and I doubt Suter or Woodruff would do anything for LA. Then throw in a Brewers prospect not name Huira or two and you've probably got a deal.

So we're looking at something like Shaw, Guerra, Ray, and Burnes for Simmons. Fair? Maybe, but I'll pass. Creates too many holes.

From the Angel's perspective, I'd do that deal. Lose 2+ years of Simmons, but gain 3+ years of Shaw and 4+ years of Guerra. Throw in a solid top 100 prospect in Burnes and another prospect in Ray that is probably just bubbling under the top 100. In addition to getting Cozart off third base, it would also add a big left-handed bat to the Angel's lineup, which might be a necessity depending on how Otani's elbow responds.

Pro-rating this partial season to a full season, and the average WAR (Baseball Reference, Fangraphs) for Simmons would extrapolate out to 7.35. Do the same thing with Shaw and his WAR would be 5.3. So a difference of approximately 2 WAR. Interestingly enough, if calculating the average WAR from 2016-2018, Simmons is at 5.6 per season and Shaw would be at 3.6 per season...the same 2 WAR difference. Simmons has more value than Shaw, but since Shaw is controlled for an extra season, I think the difference in value between the two players is closer than what most people would realize.

From the Brewer's perspective, there is no way I would do the deal. Aguilar at third base everyday? Maybe Miller fans would like it, because one logical way to fill third base would be to move Villar there and then have Miller play everyday at second base (despite the good thinks management has said about Villar's improvement at second). But yeah, no way to I take Shaw's bat out of the lineup PLUS remove Guerra from the rotation PLUS give up two of the organization's top 6 prospects.

Archived