Brewer Fanatic

Davies Injury Update [7/25 -- "Setback"; back tightness]

JDBrewCrew

Adam McCalvy

Verified account

@AdamMcCalvy

Zach Davies (shoulder) just finished throwing a bullpen at Miller Park. Fist bumps afterward make it seem it went just fine. He will throw several mound sessions, then 2-3 rehab starts, Counsell said. So Davies is at least three weeks or so away.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Other than starting out slow, Davies has been a solid pitcher for the Brewers the entire time he's been here. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that his longer stretch of not being in sync this year has been due to the injury. That said, definitely don't want to see him rush back. Take the time needed to make sure he's at 100%.

Zach Davies (shoulder) just finished throwing a bullpen at Miller Park. Fist bumps afterward make it seem it went just fine. He will throw several mound sessions, then 2-3 rehab starts, Counsell said. So Davies is at least three weeks or so away.

first of at least three minor league rehab starts on tuesday.

Stinks for him, but in reality there isn't a rotation spot in milwaukee I'd want him to slide into right now.

He's been dinged up ever since spring training and can't seem to get right this year. Hindsight is 20/20 and it would have been shocking back in january, but this past offseason would've been prime time to have traded Davies - I don't see him as a longterm brewer rotation arm and he's about to start getting expensive (albeit probably at a slower rate since this year appears to be a lost cause to convince an arbitration hearing that he's an upper rotation starter)

He still has a minor league option remaining, so if he's having issues I'd rather he was able to take his time in the minors, slowly working his way up to a full work load and be ready for next year, or if injuries hit later in the season.

• 4 weeks later...

Damn. Our SP depth is taking a huge hit.

Anderson

Chacin

Guerra

Peralta

Miley

Then after that we have Woodruff and Wilkerson? Yikes.

I wonder how set the Brewers are about keeping Burnes in the bullpen. These injuries may have to force their hand should another starter go down.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Anderson

Chacin

Guerra

Peralta

Miley

I wonder how set the Brewers are about keeping Burnes in the bullpen. These injuries may have to force their hand should another starter go down.

I'd say there's a very good chance a starter is acquired from outside the organization, as they have shown no indication that Burnes is going back to starting this year. I'd love to see a non-rental, but at this point they probably just need a body that isn't going to get shelled.

We also have Houser, who's been starting at Colorado Springs.

If this doesn't get Woodruff a fair shake, then i'm not sure what will. He was a former top 100 prospect, give him a shot!
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Anderson

Chacin

Guerra

Peralta

Miley

I'd say there's a very good chance a starter is acquired from outside the organization, as they have shown no indication that Burnes is going back to starting this year. I'd love to see a non-rental, but at this point they probably just need a body that isn't going to get shelled.

We also have Houser, who's been starting at Colorado Springs.

If Stearns feels we need someone, get a rental (unless it is DeGrom).

We need to assume that at least two spots next year will be for: Peralta, Burnes, Woodruff (lets not get into Hader now). So why pick up a guy that is only going to be in an overcrowded situation anyways? I fear we aren't going to get value for whoever we trade off from the current starters to make room for them.

Anderson

Chacin

Guerra

Peralta

Miley

Our depth is: Woodruff, Wilkerson, Burnes, Houser, M.Diplan, Asher, L.Ortiz, T.Supak, Derby, Z.Brown (assuming injury is minor)

The SP has taken a hit but it has never been this deep that I can remember. Still, I think Stearns will get a rental as we should not rely on kids in a playoff run.

Anderson

Chacin

Guerra

Peralta

Miley

Our depth is: Woodruff, Wilkerson, Burnes, Houser, M.Diplan, Asher, L.Ortiz, T.Supak, Derby, Z.Brown (assuming injury is minor)

The SP has taken a hit but it has never been this deep that I can remember. Still, I think Stearns will get a rental as we should not rely on kids in a playoff run.

In 2018, that depth ends at Wilkerson. Burnes is not starting this year. Maybe Houser gets a shot but none of those other guys will be making a start in Milwaukee this year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Anderson

Chacin

Guerra

Peralta

Miley

In 2018, that depth ends at Wilkerson. Burnes is not starting this year. Maybe Houser gets a shot but none of those other guys will be making a start in Milwaukee this year.

I could see Diplan making a spot start if they get desperate. He is already on the 40-man and has been pitching well at Biloxi. Asher is on the 40-man as well, although that is not inspiring at all. I believe that Ortiz, Supak and Derby would all need to be added to the 40-man to avoid the possibility of losing them in the Rule 5 draft, so any of those guys could get the call if needed. I think I saw yesterday that Brown is probably down 4-6 weeks, plus he isn't on the 40-man, so I can't imagine he's an option.

Amazing what a baseball season does to depth, and we're still in July. For me, I rather have a bullpen day than Wilkerson, Houser or Derby. Not sure I want to mess with Ortiz right now. I could see giving Supak a shot maybe if it comes to that.

I would also say it's not impossible to move Burnes back to a starter. Remember when he came up they still had Suter in the rotation and Davies on the way back. Now those options are out, so they may give Burnes a shot at starting after all.

Still, would be surprised if they don't trade for a SP in the next few days. That's the most likely option.

Archived