Brewer Fanatic

2018-06-13: Cubs (Montgomery) at Brewers (Chacín) 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 1-0]

Eye Black
I'd argue if the ball shorthops Heyward, Perez would've been lucky to score on the throw based on where his lead had him, too. Either get 1/2way down the line, or get on the bag to at least bluff and force a throw that you can read on the way down the line to see if it's sailing over the catcher's head or not - in between is the worst spot to be.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually think the fly ball thing also exists at Wrigley so I wouldn't chalk it up to WI folks who rarely go to games or anything. One t hing I've thought of kinda in support of them is that maybe they are good fans and generally into the game than the average crow so it sounds louder because of that (keep in mind this happens a little bit for everyone, so if more of them are paying attention it would then be louder). IDK.

Perez was in a tough spot, tag probably doesn't work so he was going that far in case it bounces he can give it a shot then.

You know you're a very bad hitter when you're up with 2 outs and a runner in scoring position with the pitcher on deck and they have absolutely no desire to pitch around you.

Arcia is a bad hitter but most 8-hole hitters are. I’d want to get that guy out so you can lead the next inning off with the pitcher. That’s the smart play pretty much all the time and definitely early in the game.

Unless you've got a total albatross of a hitter or a really good hitting pitcher I disagree. It's not worth risking the run just to leadoff the pitcher the next inning. Chacin pretty clearly pitched around Gimenez in the 2nd to face Montgomery which was the right call.

You know you're a very bad hitter when you're up with 2 outs and a runner in scoring position with the pitcher on deck and they have absolutely no desire to pitch around you.

Arcia is a bad hitter but most 8-hole hitters are. I’d want to get that guy out so you can lead the next inning off with the pitcher. That’s the smart play pretty much all the time and definitely early in the game.

Unless you've got a total albatross of a hitter or a really good hitting pitcher I disagree. It's not worth risking the run just to leadoff the pitcher the next inning. Chacin pretty clearly pitched around Gimenez in the 2nd to face Montgomery which was the right call.

I don’t like it. There’s like a 10% more of a chance of a hit with you’re 8th place hitter. I say you go after him and get the out.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I guarantee the "what were you thinking, Perez?" posts would have been forthcoming had he been thrown out. And, from history on this board, from some of the same posters criticizing him staying put.

Oh yeah, CAIN!!!!!

I wouldn't have complained. If we had someone that had at least a 20% chance of getting a hit up to the plate, I wouldn't have sent him and would have complained. Right now I figure Arcia is about a .150 hitter.

Braun sure smashed that one, unfortunate result.

Yeah, he’s really good at lining out. Especially to the centerfielder.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I guarantee the "what were you thinking, Perez?" posts would have been forthcoming had he been thrown out. And, from history on this board, from some of the same posters criticizing him staying put.

Oh yeah, CAIN!!!!!

Regardless of how deep the play is made, if an outfielder needs to dive in order to catch the ball it adds about a full second in the time it takes for him to get a throw toward the plate off. The situation being a hopelessly scuffling Arcia and Pitcher's spot coming up, I'd rather Perez be super aggressive in that spot by tagging up and going for it. The next best play would've been to get down the line further and read the play to see if the ball shorthops Heyward - then he walks home instead of trying to score from ~15 off 3rd and still have a coin flip chance of getting thrown out.

back to the game, thank god that hanger got thrown to Gimenez and not a hitter capable of doing something with it...Chacin dodging a bullet there.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I couldn't have been more wrong on how productive Chacin has been. Really has been a huge addition.

All the complaints about Chacin being a poor signing and a waste of money for a marginal #5 starter seem like they were a long time ago. He did not look great in April, though. Since, though, he's been better than advertised.

Oh yeah, CAIN!!!!!

Regardless of how deep the play is made, if an outfielder needs to dive in order to catch the ball it adds about a full second in the time it takes for him to get a throw toward the plate off. The situation being a hopelessly scuffling Arcia and Pitcher's spot coming up, I'd rather Perez be super aggressive in that spot by tagging up and going for it. The next best play would've been to get down the line further and read the play to see if the ball shorthops Heyward - then he walks home instead of trying to score from ~15 off 3rd and still have a coin flip chance of getting thrown out.

back to the game, thank god that hanger got thrown to Gimenez and not a hitter capable of doing something with it...Chacin dodging a bullet there.

But he couldn't have known for sure if it's a dive. If he stood at the bag expecting a dive/catch but he pulls up to short hop then he can't go. The way he did it he could've went for it if it bounced. Tough spot to be in, nothing to get too mad about either way

Sooner or later Braun is going to start having some 3-4 hit games. He's killing the ball a lot, but seemingly right at defenders.

June OPS north of .900 coming into this game

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I assume with this pitch count Chacin is probably going six innings and that is about it.

Jeffress, Knebel for sure? Hader, maybe? Is there any reason Williams and Barnes can't go again if needed? I am leery of Jennings and obviously Logan at this point in time.

Edit: Hopefully six.

Archived