Brewer Fanatic

2018-06-11: Cubs (Quintana) at Brewers (Guerra) 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 7-2, 11 innings]

Eye Black
Changing the prices of tickets will do a thing. This is a simple numbers game. A very tiny fan base from a small market up against possibly the league's largest fan base from a gigantic metro area that practically spills into its own. They will always be at the games. The subject is so played out.

exactly.

the basic fact that we draw as well as we do, with the smallest market in baseball.... is a testament to our fan base.

nothing you can do about a much much much larger fan base going to our home stadium.... besides beat them on the field more and more .... which has not happened...

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Craig Counsell might be the best manager in baseball. Stop it.

I think Counsell is a very good manager but has little experience in big games/playoff games and has to do a better job managing prime games.

Experienced playoff seasoned managers understand that you necessarily have to be more aggressive in these monster games and leave the comfort zones that a manager finds in playing the numbers games against non elite teams.

Counsell stuck to his guns last night and was extremely conservative. While the decision to pull Jeffries after one inning was conservative, it was also logical since Hader was burned for the entire series and Abers has pitched solid all year and was still available. But against a hot batting team like the Cubs and with Jeffries in command, the better play imo would have been to leave Jeffries in. Essentially, not worrying about tomorrow and playing for the win...….and much needed psych and confidence for the team.

On offense, we put up a lineup that was conservative, data based, and did what Counsell always does in these Cub games, sits Left handed batters. But after we see the same results over and over again, maybe it's time to just play your best players. Sitting Shaw made some sense as he is 1 for 14 against Q but I just don't think it sends the right message to the ballclub sitting your stud players in a bigtime national game. Obvoiusly, Aguilar is going through a funk as his avg dropped 50 points recently, albeit a few HR's, but sitting both Shaw and Thames seems really odd.

On the other hand, Madden allowed haywood to hit against Hader. He delivered.

But at the end of the day, Counsell's moves were justified, even if there may have been a more aggressive approach, and we lost this game because our players simply choked. On defense, and of course on offense. No confidence against the Cubs but we give the Cubs a lot of confidence against us. Hopefully, we can get lucky and at least win one game in the series.

Oh, and btw, the Cubs are the better team as well.

Changing the prices of tickets will do a thing. This is a simple numbers game. A very tiny fan base from a small market up against possibly the league's largest fan base from a gigantic metro area that practically spills into its own. They will always be at the games. The subject is so played out.

Yep. Also, there are a ton of Cub fans all over the state of Wisconsin that are going to these games at Miller Park, so I don't think restrictions on out of state ticket purchases does much of anything.

I was at the game yesterday, the single best part of the game for me was watching Schwarber try playing left field. That guy is an absolute disaster out there, most of my bar league softball team is better in the outfield than him. It's actually hilarious.

Aside from that, I felt like CC was trying too hard to be efficient with his relievers. It was pretty clear early on that Hader didn't have his A grade stuff. Wasn't hitting his spots like he does and couldn't really command his slider well. I felt like CC should have had a quicker hook with him. I also was a bit surprised that Jeffress wasn't sent out for a 2nd inning. I'm sure CC was thinking he wanted him available Tuesday, but getting through that inning could have been huge as the top of the order was coming up. I thought it made sense to keep your best out there for 1 more inning and give the top of your order another shot to break through for the win before going to your lesser relievers.

But the efficiency thing generally bugs me. We have 8 guys in the pen and most have barely pitched at all over the last week or so due to off days and whatnot. Heck that's probably part of why Hader and Knebel didn't have their A game. Albers clearly didn't have it either, it was like a hit parade up there. Turn to Barnes or Williams sooner while it's still a 1 run game with a couple runners on and give our guys a chance. Don't let it blow up to a 7-2 game trying to save a ton of relievers. If it really gets bad, you can swap someone out for a fresh Lopez.

That game was lost IMO when Perez doubled with 0 out and we stranded him, not sure that another hitter even made contact. That can't happen. We needed that run.

Our bullpen has been so good that we are quick to point fingers at it when it falters, the offense so consistently bad that we barely notice it anymore. The offense can't continually expect the bullpen to be lockdown every night. This team would probably be under .500 if the bullpen hadn't been lights out.

They need to score more runs. They need Thames back, and maybe some external talent.

IMO the turning point in the game was the botched double play by Villar when Cain threw the ball in to him but he dropped a sure tag at 2nd. Villar makes that play and more than likely we leave that inning with the lead.

IMO the turning point in the game was the botched double play by Villar when Cain threw the ball in to him but he dropped a sure tag at 2nd. Villar makes that play and more than likely we leave that inning with the lead.

This is absolutely fair, I don't know why Villar has such a hard time with tags. On SB attempts as well that type of thing happens so often to him. I'd bet 90% of all 2b in the minors make that play consistently...that was as routine as it gets considering the throw from Cain.

I strongly disagree with rickh about you shouldn't sell tickets to Cubs fans or whatever but I do agree with him that if you live within reasonable distance to Miller Park then you kind of forfeit the right to complain about all the Cubs fans at Miller Park on a message board while the game is going on.

I see no problem selling tickets to Cubs fans, I do it often enough with my 20 pack...helps me pay for it. They'll find their way in if they want to get in, whether it's my tickets or someone elses or buying from the brewers ticket office.

One other kick I got out of this game(along with every other Cubs game) is how excited their fans get for medium deep fly balls. I remember one specific one yesterday, clearly off the trademark based on the sound...extremely loud cheers as Braun jogs in maybe 20 feet and makes a routine catch. You would think after a while, even a fringe intelligent human being would figure out the difference between a HR and a shallow-medium deep fly ball.

So take advantage of it and jack the tickets for Brewers/Cubs game up to $200 for terrace reserve seats and $50 for general parking. Bleed them dry if they want to come.

I strongly disagree with rickh about you shouldn't sell tickets to Cubs fans or whatever but I do agree with him that if you live within reasonable distance to Miller Park then you kind of forfeit the right to complain about all the Cubs fans at Miller Park on a message board while the game is going on.

I see no problem selling tickets to Cubs fans, I do it often enough with my 20 pack...helps me pay for it. They'll find their way in if they want to get in, whether it's my tickets or someone elses or buying from the brewers ticket office.

One other kick I got out of this game(along with every other Cubs game) is how excited their fans get for medium deep fly balls. I remember one specific one yesterday, clearly off the trademark based on the sound...extremely loud cheers as Braun jogs in maybe 20 feet and makes a routine catch. You would think after a while, even a fringe intelligent human being would figure out the difference between a HR and a shallow-medium deep fly ball.

I found it odd that the game wasn't sold out and that the market price on SH for tickets to the game was fairly low. Wasn't like the Cubs fans paid premium on SH. While our attendance is over $1 million, the supply and demand pressures mean that Brewer ticket prices must be kept low, thus the $5 seats and the $20 bucks for 6 tickets packages that pack fans into the seats. The Indians marker, even smaller, has less price pressures and can get above face value premiums because the product is more sustained. But the brewer market will gain steam if we keep winning. One more player pickup prior to trading deadline (an ace preferred) may push us into a divisional championship.

Changing the prices of tickets will do a thing. This is a simple numbers game. A very tiny fan base from a small market up against possibly the league's largest fan base(since 2015) from a gigantic metro area that practically spills into its own. They will always be at the games. The subject is so played out.

So take advantage of it and jack the tickets for Brewers/Cubs game up to $200 for terrace reserve seats and $50 for general parking. Bleed them dry if they want to come.

Fixed

Arcia is a gift that keeps on giving...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who read that and my blood boiled for that guy even more.... is it Miller time yet???????

He's telling the 2B who isn't looking back at the infield that the runner is coming and he needs to tag him. That's his JOB as a SS in that situation.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Arcia is a gift that keeps on giving...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who read that and my blood boiled for that guy even more.... is it Miller time yet???????

He's telling the 2B who isn't looking back at the infield that the runner is coming and he needs to tag him. That's his JOB as a SS in that situation.

I didn't really see an issue with this either. If he can't handle the added pressure of being told a runner is coming to 2nd, exactly what level of pressure can he handle? Is he going to completely miss the ball in a late September or October game? That's an absolutely dreadful excuse for making a mistake...

Changing the prices of tickets will do a thing. This is a simple numbers game. A very tiny fan base from a small market up against possibly the league's largest fan base(since 2015) from a gigantic metro area that practically spills into its own. They will always be at the games. The subject is so played out.

Fixed

I think restricting ticket sales to in-state credit cards is needed to protect your home from invasion. Thats what the astros do and other teams. Something has to be done. its embarrassing and damaging to the product.

It's obviously a bad drop by Villar but I don't think it was a mental lapse or anything. He was trying to get the tag down as quickly as he could because he didn't know how close Zobrist was to the base. If he knew how far away Zobrist was, he obviously would've taken more time to make sure he had the ball.

37 yo runner tagging at first, and our MLB 2nd baseman doesn't know where he is? I could have been blindfolded and told you that Zobrist wasn't close to the bag. A gifted double play but a second baseman who fell asleep and wasn't focused. That said, Villar did homer previously and was about the only batter who wasn't crapping his pants against a very lame Quintana who would have a 7.0 ERA minus the brewer games.

He's got his back turned waiting for the ball. Why would you think he knows where he is? When he has Arcia screaming tag! tag! tag! at him I would assume that it's going to be a close play. When I was watching I was shocked at how far away from the base Zobrist was.

Funny thing, I was there, front row taking the heckling in the 11th. You? Probably flying the ol Cubs W flag... congrats on the win and net cash, by the way.

I live a 3 hour drive from Miller Park and still go to 5-6 games a year. I have a family of 5 with two toddlers and I am the sole income provider for the 5 of us at about 60 hours a week. This is the most I can afford to invest in both time and money. Hope it is okay with you.

Don’t go down this hole with him. He seems to be permanently stuck down there on a few issues and wants to drag as many as he can. I’ve nicknamed him Pennywise for myself to remind myself to just laugh at 99% of this crap.

I'm in the same boat as Adam.... get to about 10 games a year, with kids, won't get season tickets because of cost. I just personally think selling to the enemy is something that a good fan base should not get caught up in; usually, the best seats go to the Cubs fans (saw good support from Brewers fans in nice seats Mon., though)... guessing you won't give a nickname to adam, though.

I don't necessarily think Villar was making excuses for his flub, just going through what happened. But in general I agree, it's the big leagues, pressure comes with the job. In the end Villar's misplay paired with Hader's inability to retire Hayward in a lefty vs. lefty matchup only resulted in 1 run. It was a big run but it didn't kill the Brewers chances to win the game.

What kind of irks me is when you read the AP game recap Zobrist's decision to tag up from first base isn't even mentioned. If Villar fields it cleanly Zobrist is out by a mile and how much are Cubs fans crying out for Zobrist to be benched for that decision? The only reason it looks good is because it worked, but it was a terrible base running play in my book. The one sliver of hope in the decision process is you force the defense to execute, which ultimately they didn't, but it wasn't going to be a close play, it was entirely reliant on a bad throw or bobble. I'm not sure you go for broke in the top of the 8th just to get 2nd base on a 1st out fly out and risk 2 outs nobody on.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

And you might as well make a little money on the side while they come, right? The logic of one who sells out.

Not to go directly at you, sir, but the urban dictionary has this to say about a sellout....,

"One who betrays a cause for personal advancement"

You can't stop them from coming.... but come on, the front office could literally could get tickets into Brewers fans hands easily and at the game if Brewers fans wouldn't flip them.... root problem.

Fixed

How many people would actually be at this game?

It's obviously a bad drop by Villar but I don't think it was a mental lapse or anything. He was trying to get the tag down as quickly as he could because he didn't know how close Zobrist was to the base. If he knew how far away Zobrist was, he obviously would've taken more time to make sure he had the ball.

37 yo runner tagging at first, and our MLB 2nd baseman doesn't know where he is? I could have been blindfolded and told you that Zobrist wasn't close to the bag. A gifted double play but a second baseman who fell asleep and wasn't focused. That said, Villar did homer previously and was about the only batter who wasn't crapping his pants against a very lame Quintana who would have a 7.0 ERA minus the brewer games.

He's got his back turned waiting for the ball. Why would you think he knows where he is? When he has Arcia screaming tag! tag! tag! at him I would assume that it's going to be a close play. When I was watching I was shocked at how far away from the base Zobrist was.

Look, no way in hell is he close to second base. I could have known that with a blindfold on. Certainly, I don't need Arcia to be crying as Villar said (odd for him to say that). Zobrist is 37 years old. It was a completely asinine decision by him to run. Speedsters like Cain wouldn't even tag up. Zobrist must have seen the mass confusion out in the outfield between Yelich and Cain and figured that maybe Cain wouldn't be on the pivoted foot to get a lot on the throw. While Zobrist was partially correct as Cain didn't get as much on the throw as he could have, everyone in the stands knew the 37 yo Zobrist simply was a gifted double play and poor base running and not EVER be close to second. Nobody ever is, never mind a old guy like Zobrist. Certainly, Villar didn't need Arcia screaming at him. That said, the ball was there in plenty of time, and Villar panicked and assumed Zobrist was Bob Hayes and he dropped the ball.

Sad.

Look, no way in hell is he close to second base. I could have known that with a blindfold on. Certainly, I don't need Arcia to be crying as Villar said (odd for him to say that). Zobrist is 37 years old. It was a completely asinine decision by him to run. Speedsters like Cain wouldn't even tag up. Zobrist must have seen the mass confusion out in the outfield between Yelich and Cain and figured that maybe Cain wouldn't be on the pivoted foot to get a lot on the throw. While Zobrist was partially correct as Cain didn't get as much on the throw as he could have, everyone in the stands knew the 37 yo Zobrist simply was a gifted double play and poor base running and not EVER be close to second. Nobody ever is, never mind a old guy like Zobrist. Certainly, Villar didn't need Arcia screaming at him. That said, the ball was there in plenty of time, and Villar panicked and assumed Zobrist was Bob Hayes and he dropped the ball.

Sad.

What Arcia did by yelling "tag!" is how baseball players across all talent levels play the game. They communicate, often in one word phrases.

Like I said, it's rare for a guy to try to take 2nd on a fly out. Arcia should just keep his yap shut? That's insane. These guys don't have time to shout a full sentence of information to each other, yelling "tag!" expresses exactly what's going on to the defender that has his back to the play while waiting to receive the ball.

It's not an excuse for dropping the ball. Blame Villar, sure. Blame Arcia? That's extreme reaching.

And "cry" is a synonym for yell or shout. English is not Villar's first language, it's understandable he might not use the exact word a native speaker would in that situation.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Archived