Brewer Fanatic

2018-06-11: Cubs (Quintana) at Brewers (Guerra) 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 7-2, 11 innings]

Eye Black
  • Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It wasn’t a bad throw, but short hoping it when the middle infielder is going to go for a quick tag on the other side of the bag is definitely far from preferred.

I mean, ffs, not every throw from deep in the outfield is going to have Olympic archer-like accuracy. It was a throw that was perfectly in line with the base, bouncing right before Villar. It was a good othrow.

At some point they just won't swing.

I don't know if the Cubs have a "For the love of God, don't swing" sign but if there was ever a time to create that sign, that at bat by Baez was it.

Smirked at this...probably wouldn't even be a sign, just maddon telling the batboy to go get the hitters bat

I don't know if the Cubs have a "For the love of God, don't swing" sign but if there was ever a time to create that sign, that at bat by Baez was it.

We need to draw one of those up for every AB against Chatwood tomorrow.

Amazing how people see different things. Cain was in deep CF and threw a one hop almost right on the bag. Villar dropped it. As BA pointed out, Villar has cleaned up his fame a lot this year. But he does struggle at times with throws from catcher, OF, etc. Routine play, he dropped it. Doesnt mean he sucks, doesn't mean he's always screwing up every night.

Go up there without a bat?

Chili Davis running out to take the bat away would be good TV.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It wasn’t a bad throw, but short hoping it when the middle infielder is going to go for a quick tag on the other side of the bag is definitely far from preferred.

I mean, ffs, not every throw from deep in the outfield is going to have Olympic archer-like accuracy. It was a throw that was perfectly in line with the base, bouncing right before Villar. It was a good othrow.

It was a tough hop on the throw, but I think most any baseball fan would agree that it is a play the 2B has to make. But plays like that aren't made every day. It's baseball. It sucked, but at least the damage was kept to a minimum.

Let's drop it and go win this one now.

Chatwood walked 56 already....

I want Chatwood to pitch all 9 innings and Arcia to take every at bat, just to see what the results would be.

We would be sorely disappointed I fear

:laughing

The sheer entertainment factor would be amazing. Arcia swings at two 56 foot pitches to start the at bat and the rest of the at bat is the Brewers dugout screaming at Arcia right before the pitch to take away his attention so he can't swing. Would truly be a magical game.

What happened with Villar. I don't see an error. Missed tag on a stolen base attempt?

Really bad throw by Cain that Villar tried to rush a tag on and didn't complete the catch. Zobrist had no business tagging up on that play but with Cain's poor arm I guess they were just trying to be aggressive. Should have been an easy out if either player had done their job.

I am being nit picky here but looking back at this, Cain had to take a quick glance at Braun before he made the catch. It appeared that they were both calling for the fly ball up until the last moment. For a second there, I thought they may have misplayed it and I was thankful it didn’t drop. This is why I believe Zobrist went for it as Cain ended up making a flat footed throw. It was a short hop and I believe Villar got caught in between. If he goes out any further to catch it on the fly, he doesn’t get to the bag to make the tag. If he sits back at the bag, it becomes an impossible hop to handle.

Just my 2 cents on what I saw.

What happened with Villar. I don't see an error. Missed tag on a stolen base attempt?

Really bad throw by Cain that Villar tried to rush a tag on and didn't complete the catch. Zobrist had no business tagging up on that play but with Cain's poor arm I guess they were just trying to be aggressive. Should have been an easy out if either player had done their job.

You have got to be watching a completely different game than me.

So I rewound my TV to rewatch it. Cain catches it at least 8 feet in front of the warning track in the gap. That is not a hard throw at all from that spot on the field to 2B, he had time to stop and make a good throw so momentum isn't a factor. The throw is definitely better than it looked to me live, it looked like he one hopped it but they just got unlucky that it missed Villar by about half a foot so he had to try to make an awkward catch on a ball bouncing just out of his reach. Not as bad a play on either player as it looked live.

Honestly I know it doesn't make sense on the surface, but I would have almost batted Eric Thames anyway. Rosario isn't throwing strikes and Thames has a good eye. Thames also has that just got back magic one can dream on.

Archived