Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire INF Brad Miller and cash from TB in exchange for 1B Ji-Man Choi

jonescm128
brad miller played his first game for the sky sox last night and played shortstop. he committed two errors.

Bahahahaha, plug him in at SS...we'll be just fine defensively.

Figured you were going to be the first in to comment on that one.

Anyway, its obviously not a good start, but he's never had a FP less than .958 at SS in a season. He's clearly not a strong defender but he's not going to commit errors every game. It's not surprising he would have a rough start 18 months removed from playing the position. There's a reason they sent him to work on his game in AAA first.

This reminds me of the panic early in 2017 the first week of watching Villar play 2nd.

Miller will be fine at SS, as in, not a disaster. Or maybe he will be bad, I really don't know, but making snap judgments about it based on one single minor league game is a little ridiculous.

You're going to be disappointed if you think Miller was acquired to be Villar's backup and a pinch hitter. They would have likely called him right up if that was the case.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree that the Brewers sent Miller to AAA to see if he can handle AAA. However, I think he could still just end up being Villar's backup/utility guy because they are trying to see if he can handle SS and the possibility exists that they determine he can't. If they knew he could handle SS he would be up already.

I agree that the Brewers sent Miller to AAA to see if he can handle AAA. However, I think he could still just end up being Villar's backup/utility guy because they are trying to see if he can handle SS and the possibility exists that they determine he can't. If they knew he could handle SS he would be up already.

Not necessarily true. They may just want to give him 10 days there to get comfortable again. I don't think they are going to find out anything in 10 days that they don't already know based on his 3000+ innings there in his career, about 1000 more than every other position he has played combined.

brad miller played his first game for the sky sox last night and played shortstop. he committed two errors.

Bahahahaha, plug him in at SS...we'll be just fine defensively.

Figured you were going to be the first in to comment on that one.

Anyway, its obviously not a good start, but he's never had a FP less than .958 at SS in a season. He's clearly not a strong defender but he's not going to commit errors every game. It's not surprising he would have a rough start 18 months removed from playing the position. There's a reason they sent him to work on his game in AAA first.

This reminds me of the panic early in 2017 the first week of watching Villar play 2nd.

Miller will be fine at SS, as in, not a disaster. Or maybe he will be bad, I really don't know, but making snap judgments about it based on one single minor league game is a little ridiculous.

You're going to be disappointed if you think Miller was acquired to be Villar's backup and a pinch hitter. They would have likely called him right up if that was the case.

I know it's just one start, maybe he becomes fringe competent with a week of starts. I just think he's been moved multiple rungs down the defensive spectrum for a reason. If he makes it to Milwaukee I'll root for success, until then I'm hoping he struggles defensively as I expect so we aren't tempted to play him in games that matter at a position he cannot play.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/rays-miller-upset-at-move-off-shortstop/2287887

"Extremely disappointed," Miller said. "Obviously, I'm a shortstop. I've been working hard and doing everything they ask and playing well there, and (Monday) was kind of a punch to the gut, them telling me he's our shortstop now."

Miller will move to first base. He could also see time in the outfield. He said the team did not mince words when telling him the reason behind the move.

"They said him playing shortstop was our best chance to win," Miller said.

Miller, whose 16 home runs as a shortstop are a franchise record, entered Tuesday's game tied for third among AL shortstops with 13 errors. His .959 fielding percent ranked last.

"I understand the disappointment with him, but we're constantly going to make decisions that are going to improve our entire club," manager Kevin Cash said. "We can't just focus on an individual. I understand where he is coming from, I appreciate it, but at the same time we feel we're going to be a better defense with this new alignment."

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/the-mariners-opening-day-shortstop-in-2014-and-2015-brad-miller-is-designated-for-assignment-before-the-seattle-series/

"Although he is capable of playing all four infield positions and even left field, Miller had become a defensive liability at almost all of them.

Verified Member

He hasn't fielded balls from the middle infield in an actual game in several years. I wouldn't read too much into a couple of errors as he knocks the rust off...

Once again, Miller's career numbers at SS by advanced metrics are -3.0 UZR/150 and -6 TZ/year. Those are below average but perfectly normal numbers for a major league SS.

The entire narrative that Miller is a butcher on defense seems to be based on Tampa Bay's bizarre decision to move him to 1B, which in any event was because they had numerous glove-only SS to start instead, and also probably because Tampa Bay are a dumb franchise.

David Stearns and the front office clearly disagree with that decision by Tampa Bay, so who are you going to trust?

The fact that Miller is arguably a platoon bat is a legitimate criticism. I remain skeptical that his defense is, especially when we've been playing Villar in our middle infield for several years now.

There are 21 players with at least 3,000 innings at SS from 2013-16. Miller ranks 18th in DRS (-23) & 16th in UZR (-6.5) in that sample.

While he was merely adequate to bad from 2013-15 (2,235 innings, -9 DRS, +0.8 UZR), his metrics tanked in 2016, of the 28 SS with at least 800 innings his DRS of -14 ranked 27th & his UZR of -7.3 ranked 23rd.

Miller will have to hit to provide any value as he has literally graded out negative everywhere he's ever played: 2B (1,011 innings, -8 DRS, -8 UZR), 1B (605 innings, -6 DRS, -2.3 UZR), OF (259 innings, -15 DRS, -8.9 UZR) & 3B (22 innings, -1 DRS, -0.7 UZR).

Verified Member
There are 21 players with at least 3,000 innings at SS from 2013-16. Miller ranks 18th in DRS (-23) & 16th in UZR (-6.5) in that sample.

While he was merely adequate to bad from 2013-15 (2,235 innings, -9 DRS, +0.8 UZR), his metrics tanked in 2016, of the 28 SS with at least 800 innings his DRS of -14 ranked 27th & his UZR of -7.3 ranked 23rd.

Miller will have to hit to provide any value as he has literally graded out negative everywhere he's ever played: 2B (1,011 innings, -8 DRS, -8 UZR), 1B (605 innings, -6 DRS, -2.3 UZR), OF (259 innings, -15 DRS, -8.9 UZR) & 3B (22 innings, -1 DRS, -0.7 UZR).

One season worth of defensive statistics is meaningless, which is why Tampa Bay's decision to move him to 1B made no sense. Ranking 16th out of 21 players who were good enough to be regular major league shortstops seems about right: below average but a credible starter there.

• 3 weeks later...
It's early but the Miller acquisition looks like it's paying off. Getting traded to a first place team seems to have revitalized him to the point where he has to be in the lineup almost every day against RHP as he's now carrying an OPS+ of 121 for the season. With this pitching staff being strikeout/flyball types, his defensive issues are less problematic. Now if Saladino/Orf can provide some consistent offense, the lineup looks a lot better.

meanwhile in the IL- Ji-Man doin what ji-man do, hittin well. though- he kind of reminds me thus far of having the career arc of travis ishikawa. would you take the over or under on Choi outperforming Ishikawa's career?

I anxiously await the day my "Tastes Great, Less Filling" chant catches on.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

meanwhile in the IL- Ji-Man doin what ji-man do, hittin well. though- he kind of reminds me thus far of having the career arc of travis ishikawa. would you take the over or under on Choi outperforming Ishikawa's career?

Remember, Ishikawa clinched the pennant for the Giants.

Archived