Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire INF Brad Miller and cash from TB in exchange for 1B Ji-Man Choi

jonescm128
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He (Miller) will probably be called up shortly.

he was just optioned, so he must stay down for at least 10 days, unless replacing a player put on the disabled list.

Does that transfer when you’re traded? Doesn’t seem right.

further clarification, an optioned player accrues time spent optioned with his previous organization.

for example, when alec asher was acquired via trade with the dodgers on 17 april, he had been optioned 5 april by the dodgers. thus, he already had spent at least 10 days optioned. the brewers optioned him that same day, and would not have been held to a reset clock if the brewers had wished to recall him on let's say, 20 april (just three days later).

however, miller wasn't optioned by the rays prior to this trade. as others have pointed out, he was designated for assignment.

So choi is replaced by Thames on the mlb roster, while Miller hopefully can accommodate himself enough at SS to become a better hitting version of Perez.

My hope with the current group of players in the organization is that miller replaces Sogard after 10 days, while arcia plays ss everyday until saladino comes off the dl - at that point Perez gets optioned or dfa'd. The sooner Sogard leaves the brewer organization, the better. Frankly 99% of brewer fans have to be tired of sewing him as either a mlb or aaa option at this point.

So choi is replaced by Thames on the mlb roster, while Miller hopefully can accommodate himself enough at SS to become a better hitting version of Perez.

My hope with the current group of players in the organization is that miller replaces Sogard after 10 days, while arcia plays ss everyday until saladino comes off the dl - at that point Perez gets optioned or dfa'd. The sooner Sogard leaves the brewer organization, the better. Frankly 99% of brewer fans have to be tired of sewing him as either a mlb or aaa option at this point.

Still need one more move to accommodate that #5 starter sooner or later. Thames is really coming up for Woodruff (I assume), who came up for Chou. Miller and Sogard work as a straight swap when Miller comes up. Saladino for Arcia works. But assuming they'll float that 5th rotation spot until they need it again, they'll have to find another move to make at some point to accommodate.

Did anyone else hear about Choi/agent complain about his demotions and demand/want to be traded? My buddies were talking about how they had heard this last week.... couldn't find it.

Ji-Man Choi wanted to make clear that the Twitter report yesterday stating he wanted to be traded was wholly inaccurate. “That’s 100% false,” he said. “I’m happy to be here and I was shocked when it came out. It made me angry. I’ve spoken with my agent about it as well.”

2 more things I wanted to point out on Miller:

1) His defensive numbers in 2013 and 2015 were actually slightly positive at SS, slightly negative in 2014, and 2016 was his only year as a 'bad' defender there. He's not going to be Arcia, but if we can assume his standard defense at SS is closer to his 2013-2015 he should be close to average and just fine.

2) Tampa is well known as an extreme pitchers' park. Could be exciting and a real find to get a potential 30 HR guy at SS.

No reason trying to spin Miller's defense into anything other than being bad. Defensive metrics for him are poor regardless of position (even 1B). From 2015-2018 he's been a .239/.319/.420/.738 hitter who would average 20 home runs when adjusted to 162 games. It all comes down to if the evaluator thinks that those offensive numbers outweighs the bad defense.

No reason trying to spin Miller's defense into anything other than being bad. Defensive metrics for him are poor regardless of position (even 1B). From 2015-2018 he's been a .239/.319/.420/.738 hitter who would average 20 home runs when adjusted to 162 games. It all comes down to if the evaluator thinks that those offensive numbers outweighs the bad defense.

It's not a "spin" at all. What I said is literally true. He was a slightly above average defender 2 years at SS, slightly below average, and well below average one year.

And that's the key- when he played SS heavily in 2016 (105 games), his WAR was 1.6 despite a solidly negative defensive WAR. His bat is good enough to make him valuable at either middle IF position despite his defensive liabilities.

If we are to take out his one year of bad SS play in 2016 we certainly can't assume he is a 30 HR guy either from 2016. His max was 11 his other 4 years playing. I don't doubt he will be more valuable than Sogard but beyond that it is up in the air.

If we are to take out his one year of bad SS play in 2016 we certainly can't assume he is a 30 HR guy either from 2016. His max was 11 his other 4 years playing. I don't doubt he will be more valuable than Sogard but beyond that it is up in the air.

Setting the bar awfully low. You could pull a fan out of the stands and find more value than Sogard has been this season.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Verified Member
If Miller could hit as well as he does at SS/2B and play good defense, he would have cost us actual prospects rather than just a change of scenery for Choi, and he would be the everyday SS rather than a bench bat super utility guy (who won't even need to play SS once Saladino comes back, unless Arcia gets sent back down.

It's not a "spin" at all. What I said is literally true. He was a slightly above average defender 2 years at SS, slightly below average, and well below average one year.

For the record, even though my post followed yours, it was not intended to be a direct response to you. Just got the feeling from reading through the thread that the defensive considerations were being minimized.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I like the move. He's got pop and defensive versatility. I would imagine he will take Sogard's spot as soon as he shakes the rust off at 2B and SS.

To be able to grab a guy who is only 28 and only one year removed from a 30 HR season, who has put up decent OBP numbers in the past, and all you give up is a guy that was signed to a minor league deal, and sits 4th on your 1B depth chart, is a no-brainer.

As soon as I saw Miller was DFA'd, I figured he'd be a Brewer. His versatility and left-handed stick fit what Stearns is looking for.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The Miller add seems like a solid move. It comes for cheap. It's one of the reasons you keep some financial flexibility - so you can take on some salary during the course of the season to shore of deficiencies.

The only thing I'm miffed about is that Sogard is still around. He's a better defender than Miller, but Miller's bat way outclasses Sogard's. Just make the move and go. Although I can imagine they are going to give Miller a few games at SS to get him re-acquainted to the position - but it doesn't seem like that should be a big deal for a guy like him.

As for the SS position - I still hope Arcia can turn things around. His defense is great, and if he can get some things ironed out, I think his bat can be okay. But we shall see.

You should double check Miller's ph numbers before assuming he'll improve our bench. He's a poor defender that is specifically bad at ph, hard pass. The primary reason I dislike it is the negative on defense, if he swaps out for sogard it's a net push with the bat. Miller's sub 500 ops ph is probably about where sogard is

47 PA over his career. Completely meaningless. And Sogard has an OPS somewhere around 300 on the season.

Why would he need to "fix" anything when he's already outhitting Braun, Santana, Arcia, Pina, and Villar this season?

Except it isn't meaningless at all, because that's the likely role he would be filling for this team. 1-2 starts a week max(probably 1) and 4-5 PH appearances per week. PH is a different animal and not everyone exceeds without regular playing time as Aguilar has in that role, I would actually say a majority of players struggle at the plate without consistent playing time.

Miller needs to be a better hitter than he's been if he's going to be a fringe 2b or 1b type of player, which is what he's been the last couple years. In that scenario, yes the Brewers would have to help him improve beyond 720ish ops(likely less with us considering his role). If he miraculously can play an average ss/2b with the Brewers, 720 ops would be fine given the defensive value. But he hasn't graded out as average at any position in the last 4 years, including 1b. So I'm really not sure where all the people who are saying "oh we can get rid of Sogard now...Miller can be backup SS" are coming from...it really doesn't make any sense.

Villar and Saladino can also be "backup SS" if need be. If Arcia sits, Miller can start at 2B vs. RHP, with Villar getting the start at SS. However, Miller could play SS in a pitch, which is valuable in and of itself.

Trade seems to make sense for both teams and gives Choi a change of scenery/opportunity he would not get in Milwaukee.

I wouldn’t totally rule out the possibility of Arcia being sent back to AAA. They really didn’t want him back up and he is only back up because of the Saladino injury. Miller could give them someone they actually feel comfortable throwing out at SS everyday not named Arcia under the current roster construction.

Of course someone mentioned Arcia surviving till Saladino returns which is quite possible too.

In some way I feel the Brewers will actually send down Arcia to be there as long as they originally planned. We will see.

You guys really think Brad Miller can get the majority of starts at shortstop for the Brewers? I just don't see it. Defensive aspect is just too strong to ignore and while Miller would definitely bring a better bat, it's not likely that he will OPS .850+ (but possible considering the way Sogard hit last season).

I guess I always put more stock into what teams actually do rather than the talk that comes out of the mouths of GMs/managers. The Rays could have kept Miller as a versatile defensive player that provided some pop off the bench. Instead, once 1B/DH was filled with Bauers/Cron, they opted to trade Miller and even kick in some money to get him off their roster. The commentary from the Tampa end pretty much reads that once they made the committment to Bauer at 1B, that they had no place for Miller to play (even though he has played all over the diamond). Meanwhile they pick up Choi, another player that fits best at 1B/DH but will likely get looks in left field because their outfield production has been awful (and it's easier to live with bad defense in left instead of bad defense in the middle infield).

To me this trade looks like one insurance policy for another. Two bench players. Miller gets some "low leverage" innings around the infield and is a primary insurance policy in case Villar is injured or goes down the drain performance-wise. Choi gets some innings in left field to see if his defense can meet the very lowest minimum standard but if not he's an insurance policy in case Bauers flops or Bauers/Cron gets injured. Both teams likely hoping to luck out and stumble across a hot bat for a 6-8 week stretch. That's pretty much how I see this trade.

I'd guess we see him much more at 2B than SS. In spite of Villar being generally adequate this year he hasn't passed much eye test and doesn't seem to me like management has much trust in him. We'll see of course but if he just plays the exact amount mixing SS/2B that Sogard did the first month-ish, he's a clear upgrade of Sogard so I don't see anything to complain about.

I think he's going to play a lot. Stearns probably saw something that made him think he can be closer to the 30-HR guy he was in 2016. I think Arcia is headed back down or will rarely start and be a late-game defensive sub. Arcia's also looked a little bit better at the plate since coming back up but it's nothing conclusive enough to know for sure. But I think there was probably some advanced statistical work that showed if he bats twice a game the Brewers are better off than they are now.

I like the move, it has the makings of one of Stearns' low-risk great pickups.

Have to think this is more about finding AAAA depth and a potential upgrade for the 25th spot on the roster. I really don't believe that Miller will take away playing time from Arcia.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Miller is not a SS, he hasn't been for years and there's a reason TB isn't playing him there. Villar would be a far better defensive SS than Miller...and he was moved off the position for a reason. I'm not sure it would be wise to even give him spot starts at SS.

Archived