Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire INF Brad Miller and cash from TB in exchange for 1B Ji-Man Choi

jonescm128
Why is it when the brewers trade spare parts to get something that they need, some people here freak. Yes Choi has had some big moments, but he is only batting .233 and 2 organizations gave up on him after 1 season. Miller may or may not be able to help the big league club, but I’m pretty confident in saying we won’t be regretting this trade a year from now.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why is it when the brewers trade spare parts to get something that they need, some people here freak. Yes Choi has had some big moments, but he is only batting .233 and 2 organizations gave up on him after 1 season. Miller may or may not be able to help the big league club, but I’m pretty confident in saying we won’t be regretting this trade a year from now.

Because the man hit a grand slam yesterday and folks are still swooning over their 66th 1B option on roster.

Who is a better player: Choi or Miller?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Maybe I missed it but what post here is showing even a minimal amount of freak out.

The better question is who is a better player: Miller or Sogard?

That was going to be my follow up because Miller is better than Choi. He’s better than Sogard. He’s better than Perez. What the heck are we complaining about around here?

Trying to use 50 PA’s of him as a pinch hitter has me stunned. Is he a great defender? Uhh... no. But we aren’t scoring enough runs and Miller might help us solve that.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

He (Miller) will probably be called up shortly.

he was just optioned, so he must stay down for at least 10 days, unless replacing a player put on the disabled list.

Does that transfer when you’re traded? Doesn’t seem right.

Really nothing not to like about this. Miller has a .758 career OPS against righties, which immediately and basically for nothing upgrades our lineup against RHP at one of our 2 black holes.

Yes, I would imagine the plan is for Miller to see significant time, and starts, at SS.

Actually the only thing I don't like about this was him being optioned down and Sogard surviving the roster another 10 days.

Seems like an upgrade over both Sogard & Perez (creates some interesting opportunities to play to the platoon advantage, though, with Perez + Miller). Good use of depth by both clubs.

Even if you don't believe in Choi, obviously the Rays view him as worth giving a shot, & they gave up someone they viewed as redundant (just like we did w Choi). Fun deal.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Sogard is simply not an MLB player at this stage. Choi is surplus. Those are easy positions to take. Doesn’t mean we have to love the trade.

I’m not a Miller fan but maybe we get a competent MLB bat. He doesn’t seem like a Stearns level athlete, so I have some misgivings. It’d be nice to have a guy who’s not an automatic out in that roster spot like Sogard is.

If Santana gets some caffeine and energy, perhaps he can bring the vitality to the lineup that Choi has brought. If Santana had minimal value coming off his year last year, he’s probably in Scooter Gennett territory in terms of value. He needs to get on a roll and go.

Could’ve swore the Rays DFA’d him a few days ago.

Designate for Assignment (DFA)

Definition

When a player's contract is designated for assignment -- often abbreviated "DFA" -- that player is immediately removed from his club's 40-man roster. Within seven days of the transaction (had been 10 days under the 2012-16 Collective Bargaining Agreement), the player can either be traded or placed on irrevocable outright waivers.

If the player is claimed off said waivers by another club, he is immediately added to that team's 40-man roster, at which point he can be optioned to the Minor Leagues (if he has Minor League options remaining) or assigned to his new team's 25-man roster. If the player clears waivers, he may be sent outright to the Minor Leagues or released. Players with more than three years of Major League service time or who have been previously outrighted may reject the outright assignment in favor of free agency.

Miller was DFAed, but they worked a trade out with the Brewers before having to place him on irrevocable outright waivers...

Without the snark, how would you rate the following defensively at SS:

Miller

Villar

Perez

Sogard

Saladino

Just curious what the spread is between these guys.

Saladino

Sogard

Villar

Perez

No idea on Miller yet, but it doesn't sound like he's good at short.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Miller. He's similar or better with the bat, but plays a few premium positions.

Smart move for the Brewers. Easy deal to make. The Rays are dumb.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Miller

Villar

Perez

Sogard

Saladino

Saladino

Villar

Perez

Sogard

Will have to wait to see Miller play but it’s doubtful he’s not as good as Sogard there.

Miller

Villar

Perez

Sogard

Saladino

Saladino (only of the 5 to have a single positive grade, +3 DRS)

Sogard (has gotten SS innings over both Villar & Hernan last two seasons)

Villar (2,200+ below average SS innings)

Miller (3,000+ even worse SS innings)

Perez (105 career MLB innings at SS)

Did anyone else hear about Choi/agent complain about his demotions and demand/want to be traded? My buddies were talking about how they had heard this last week.... couldn't find it.

Also, Brad Miller should be a nice boost off our bench. He is a tall drink of water, can play the post, and does a decent job when squaring to the hoop.... decent defender and solid Boilermaker.

Did anyone else hear about Choi/agent complain about his demotions and demand/want to be traded? My buddies were talking about how they had heard this last week.... couldn't find it.

Also, Brad Miller should be a nice boost off our bench. He is a tall drink of water, can play the post, and does a decent job when squaring to the hoop.... decent defender and solid Boilermaker.

Choi's camp shot that rumor down right away and said it wasn't true at all.

I laughed. Thanks. #52!

Archived