Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire INF Brad Miller and cash from TB in exchange for 1B Ji-Man Choi

jonescm128

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That grand slam got MLB talent in return!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Great trade. Used depth to possibly help fix a hole.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Ok...grab a middle infielder to to see if you can find some more offense.

But, more importantly, [sarcasm]lay the ground work for a Chris Archer deal later. Clearly this move is made after seeing Archer's latest tweet.[/sarcasm]

@ChrisArcher22

Jun 7

To any parties interested, BMills is a great dude, teammate and player. He will help your team on many fronts. Looking forward to watching him drop head on people.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Speaking only for myself, I don't want Brad Miller dropping head or any other body part on me.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Community Moderator
One notable item from the original signing of Ji-Man Choi, he chose to sign with the Brewers over the Rays. Tampa Bay offered him a major league contract with a 40-man roster spot this off-season.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Last time Miller played SS was 854 innings with TB in 2016. He graded out at -14 DRS/-7.3 UZR. Career marks are -23 DRS/-6.5 UZR in 3089 innings at SS from 2013-16.

How bout 2B?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Verified Member
Last time Miller played SS was 854 innings with TB in 2016. He graded out at -14 DRS/-7.3 UZR. Career marks are -23 DRS/-6.5 UZR in 3089 innings at SS from 2013-16.

I don't really care if he is a horrible defender if he is just the bench UTIL taking over for Sogard. Those numbers are bad but passable for a major league SS, and Miller is still just 28 so it's not like he can no longer play there.

Massive upgrade in my opinion. Miller is no star but he's a solid bat to come off the bench and get spot starts around the infield, or even in a platoon with Villar.

Verified Member
I would disagree and say Miller can no longer play SS.

Based on what? The Rays stopped playing Miller there because he was replaced by two guys who are only in the major leagues because of their SS defense (first Tim Beckham and then Adeiny Hechavarria), and I think nobody would dispute that Miller is a bad defensive SS and should not be a primary starter there.

How bout 2B?

In 1224 2/3 MLB innings, Villar has posted a 0 DRS and -9.2 UZR/150 while playing second base. In 1011 MLB innings, Miller has posted a -8 DRS and -13.4 UZR/150. So the defensive metrics have Villar as a better defensive second baseman than Miller. Miller has the reputation of being a subpar defensive player no matter where he plays and the defensive metrics seem to back that up.

Hasn't been mentioned yet, but Miller performs poorly against left handed pitching. This year has slashed .265/.286/.353/.639 against lefties, which is a bit of a step up from the .228/.290/.330/.620 from 2015-2017.

I think the trade is pretty odd. Miller seems like he'd be a decent enough candidate to platoon with Villar, but the need for two legitimate shortstops will make it difficult for the Brewers to fit Miller on the 25 man roster. To me it looks like he's here strictly to protect against another injury. It's also unlikely the Brewers would make a committment to him past this year as if he is offered arbitration at year's end he would be guaranteed to make a minimum of 3.6 million in 2019.

it appears that miller has been optioned for the first time ever in his career.

I believe in another week or so he will have 5 years of service and can decline further options. So once he gets called up it will likely be for good.

I don't really care if he is a horrible defender if he is just the bench UTIL taking over for Sogard. Those numbers are bad but passable for a major league SS, and Miller is still just 28 so it's not like he can no longer play there.

Massive upgrade in my opinion. Miller is no star but he's a solid bat to come off the bench and get spot starts around the infield, or even in a platoon with Villar.

You should double check Miller's ph numbers before assuming he'll improve our bench. He's a poor defender that is specifically bad at ph, hard pass. The primary reason I dislike it is the negative on defense, if he swaps out for sogard it's a net push with the bat. Miller's sub 500 ops ph is probably about where sogard is

Verified Member
You should double check Miller's ph numbers before assuming he'll improve our bench. He's a poor defender that is specifically bad at ph, hard pass. The primary reason I dislike it is the negative on defense, if he swaps out for sogard it's a net push with the bat. Miller's sub 500 ops ph is probably about where sogard is

47 PA over his career. Completely meaningless. And Sogard has an OPS somewhere around 300 on the season.

Why would he need to "fix" anything when he's already outhitting Braun, Santana, Arcia, Pina, and Villar this season?

Down the stretch he will really be replacing Hernan Perez, not Sogard:

c Pina

1b Aguilar

2b Villar

ss Arcia

3b Shaw

lf Yelich

cf Cain

rf Santana

c Kratz

1b/of Thames

if Saladino