Brewer Fanatic

Miami Marlins Trade

Dan Straily and Derek Dietrich for Domingo Santana, Adrian Houser or Jacob Barnes, and a choice of Freddy Peralta, Brett Suter or Brandon Woodruff. Straily pencils in to the rotation, Dietrich plays OF when Braun can't (can also play 2B), Santana starts everyday in Miami and Peralta, Suter or Woodruff go into the Marlin rotation. Houser or Barnes is an add in for the Marlins bull pen.

Community Moderator

To elaborate on FTC's response, Straily is doing a lot with smoke-and-mirrors this year.... his FIP is truly terrible. Yes, he's still young-ish and cheap, but I don't think he adds much if anything relative to the value being given up there.

And Dietrich's offensive value and any versatility are almost entirely offset by how bad he is defensively. He's basically an OF only, and his bat isn't good enough to be a valuable acquisition for our team with our glut of OF/1B types already.

I like the idea of adding Derek Dietrich though. Flexibility and a decent hitter.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Curious what you guys would give up JUST for Staily?

I think I'd be willing to part with Santana and Houser for him, personally although I'd try to package Santana for a better SP first.

Curious what you guys would give up JUST for Staily?

I think I'd be willing to part with Santana and Houser for him, personally although I'd try to package Santana for a better SP first.

I understand that Santana's value is way down, but I'd rather just run Suter or any of our AAA depth guys out there and hope for a decent 5 innings rather than...running out Dan Straily and hoping for a decent 5 innings and giving up value for an identical or potentially inferior pitcher.

I'd basically take Straily for a low-ceiling AA prospect or something like that if we think there is some improvement that can be made that would make him an upgrade over Suter or anyone in that tier of pitchers that we have.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Dan Straily and Derek Dietrich for Domingo Santana, Adrian Houser or Jacob Barnes, and a choice of Freddy Peralta, Brett Suter or Brandon Woodruff.

This would be a really, really poor trade for Milwaukee.

Straily is a back of the rotation arm - a nice thing to have, but he's not a difference maker. Plus, he began the season on the DL with arm inflammation - something you'd have to make sure isn't a long term issue.

Dietrich is just meh. He's a bit of a tweener, doesn't walk much, and struggles against left handers.

Both guys have value - but not a lot. They certainly would be okay to have, but no way you give up that much for them.

Archived