Brewer Fanatic

How agressive will Stearns be at the deadline?

You'll also need to make room in early 2019 for Hiura, who barring injury will be needing to get added to the 40 man since he'll be in Milwaukee playing 2nd base.

I certainly hope you are right and Hiura is up in late 2018 or early 2019. However, that all assumes that he continues to own AA pitching.

Moreover, Hiura is still considered a butcher in the field. So although his bat might be ready, they may need to figure something out with the glove.

Is he? Not saying I know one way or the other, but from some of what I've read on him lately, it sounds like some folks think he can be decent at 2B. Not Brandon Phillips with the leather or anything, but solid enough to go along with his bat.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about Hiura's arm? Tommy John seemed somewhat inevitable so does he just try to time out getting it later this season so that he can return by early/mid-2019?

You don't just have TJ done as a preventative step, it's only for when your ligament actually tears. As far as I think can be determined thus far, Hiura had some soreness to start the season, but he's played 2B in 11 of 12 June games so far (appears he was rested for the one game he didn't start/play 2B; only had 1 PA on 6/4) & in 26 of his last 34 games.

Looks like we were pretty cautious with him in May, but since June they've pretty much turned him loose as the regular 2B. Can't imagine they'd do that if he had any discomfort still.

Time will tell with his defense & arm, but if he just keeps hitting in the meantime, I think whatever will happen will work out fine.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Moreover, Hiura is still considered a butcher in the field. So although his bat might be ready, they may need to figure something out with the glove.

Find the baseball scout with a quote that says he's a butcher in the field and post it. You might be looking awhile, because he's not a butcher in the field. He's not going to win any gold gloves defensively, but he's not a bad fielder and he's a good athlete - we're not talking about a statue in the field with no range and stone hands. Scouting reports pre-draft questioned his defense simply because he hadn't played a position his last 1+ collegiate seasons due to his arm troubles. It was more uncertainty of his position with the assumption that his arm was going to get cut on.

What about Hiura's arm? Tommy John seemed somewhat inevitable so does he just try to time out getting it later this season so that he can return by early/mid-2019?

Since his promotion to AA, where there aren't any other legit 2B prospects that would demand regular playing time at that position as part of their development, Hiura has played 2B every game he's started. I think he was a pinch hitter for one game that was likely a scheduled day off in the field for him. His elbow issues prevented him from playing his last collegiate season in the field leading up to the draft and he primarily DH'd in limited minor league action last season, but Hiura spent this past offseason and a full MLB spring training throwing, taking defensive drills, etc. He started in A+ primarily DH-ing due to what was deemed precautionary rest for his arm that was fatigued, which was concerning but also should have been expected due to an uneven workload the past few years. He then worked his way back onto the field and split 2B duties with Tucker Newhaus (Brewers' 2nd round pick out of high school in 2013) at A+ during May - on days he didn't play 2nd he DH'd and still got work in on the side.

All indications currently are that Hiura's arm isn't a concern to the point of him needing a ligament replacement surgery - you don't promote a prospect to a level where many games Biloxi doesn't use a DH if you think he's one throw away from blowing out his arm.

Find the baseball scout with a quote that says he's a butcher in the field and post it. You might be looking awhile, because he's not a butcher in the field.

It took me less than 2 minutes to find John Sickles report from March 2018:

1) Keston Hiura, 2B, Grade B+/A-: Age 21, first round pick in 2017 from University of California-Irvine, ninth overall, hit .371/.422/.611 in 167 at-bats in pro debut between rookie ball and Midwest League, 13 walks, 37 strikeouts; excellent hitter who is close to major league-ready, plenty of bat speed, projected to hit for both power and average; main question is defense, as he was limited to DH by an elbow injury for most of the season, got into just three games at second base in pro ball; may be destined for left field but even so his bat will play anywhere; ETA late 2019

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018/2/21/17038344/milwaukee-brewers-top-20-prospects-for-2018

Second base is not as difficult to play as 3B or SS. So the only way LF is an option is if you are butcher.

Find the baseball scout with a quote that says he's a butcher in the field and post it. You might be looking awhile, because he's not a butcher in the field.

1) Keston Hiura, 2B, Grade B+/A-: Age 21, first round pick in 2017 from University of California-Irvine, ninth overall, hit .371/.422/.611 in 167 at-bats in pro debut between rookie ball and Midwest League, 13 walks, 37 strikeouts; excellent hitter who is close to major league-ready, plenty of bat speed, projected to hit for both power and average; main question is defense, as he was limited to DH by an elbow injury for most of the season, got into just three games at second base in pro ball; may be destined for left field but even so his bat will play anywhere; ETA late 2019

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018/2/21/17038344/milwaukee-brewers-top-20-prospects-for-2018

Second base is not as difficult to play as 3B or SS. So the only way LF is an option is if you are butcher.

He said it’s a question because of injury, he’s played defense just 3 times in over a year, so it’s impossible to say how good or bad he will be. Calling him a butcher based on that is a huge stretch.

This post just totally proved my point...thank you

2nd base is not a need, upgrading it would be a luxury. We would need quite the upgrade to really improve it.

You have to be on something pretty good to think Hiura is going to play a big role this season or Villar will play a bunch of SS...let alone both.

Only way I can even remotely imagine Hiura on this team is if he comes up in September as a pinch hitter o something. Even then you are adding him to the 40 man to do so...I really don’t see that happening.

So there is only one problem that I see. This currently blocks Corbin Burnes (not Rule 5 eligible until December 2019) from a 40 man spot. So if I want to add him to the 40 man roster some time this year, then I have one spot I need to clear. One spot, only one spot.

You'll also need to make room in early 2019 for Hiura, who barring injury will be needing to get added to the 40 man since he'll be in Milwaukee playing 2nd base.

However, there are going to be moves made at the deadline and early offseason that clarify the 40 man roster and continue to give Stearns the flexibility he likes. One of the reasons I had no issues whatsoever with the package of players he sent to Miami for Yelich was that he replaced Brinson's 5 years of control that undoubtedly will include MLB growing pains with roughly the same amount of control for Yelich through his prime years, and the two other top prospects (Diaz, Harrison) were going to be part of this year's 40 man crunch as well.

Hiura really doesn't figure into the equation. Very, very, very unlikely he is added to the 25 man roster this year. Will not be eligible for the Rule 5 draft in December. Could easily be added to the 25 man roster in 2019 but likely won't happen at the beginning of the season. If one starts talking about May 2019, then there is a good possibility that one or two players have hit the 60-day DL and are not counted on the 40-man roster, but a more likely scenario is that Hiura eventually replaces someone else who played themselves off the 25 and 40 man rosters. I see no reason to worry about finding room for him now.

This post just totally proved my point...thank you

No, it doesn't. The writer said he didn't know how good his defense will be because he hasn't played much. That does not = butcher. Some people will just read what they want to hear.

He may be a butcher (I don't know), but I don't think you can say that just because he hasn't played much defense the last few years.

Plus, maybe it is just me, but butcher is usually reserved for the glove part of the defense, right? It sounds like he is athletic enough to have good range and most probably develop the glove, and if anything it will be the arm that is always the issue for Hiura.

Archived