Brewer Fanatic

2018-06-06: Brewers (Anderson) at Indians (Carrasco) 12:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 3-1]

Eye Black
The bull pen was not going to sustain it's dominance for a full season. We have seen lately that they are not bulletproof, which only magnifies the need for better starting pitching.

If we continue to lean on the bullpen the rest of the year like we have done to this point, it will not be pretty come September.

Or an offense. An offense would be a good thing.

Ya, pretty much need offense. Improving the starting pitching would mean losing 2-1 instead of 4-1.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Improving our offense goes without saying imo… If you are a Brewer fan, you know the struggles offensively.

Yelich and Cain were not enough apparently. However, imagine where we would be without them? Less than .500?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Improving our offense goes without saying imo… If you are a Brewer fan, you know the struggles offensively.

Yelich and Cain were not enough apparently. However, imagine where we would be without them? Less than .500?

It would help if Santana wasn't reverting back into April Domingo.

In the last two games, Choi has more hits than Aguilar.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It would help if Santana wasn't reverting back into April Domingo.

I am old school when it comes to the line up and playing the players that give you the best chance of winning on a daily basis. Do players need an occasional day off, maybe, but even miore importantly, they need consistant at bats. Playing 4 games a week doesn't allow any kind of groove. I think Villar and Domingo need to play all the time, just like Shaw, Yelich and Cain. Stop trying to be cute with the line-up, and stop trying to play guys so their feelings aren't hurt. Bench guys need at bats too, I get that, but your main guys need to play, A LOT!

When I said Cleveland's pen would have to cover at least three, I should have considered the Brewers offense...

It's pretty hard to believe a team with such clear flaws is 12 over even with an L today (not a given, but looking likely), but that is a good thing. Honestly, if this team adds before the deadline, I hope it adds a bat. Cheaper and the rotation has enough to keep them in most games. That is all that is necessary with this pen.

Benching Santana (or Braun for that matter) for a AAAA guy like Choi is asinine. Just no excuse for it. None. It’s what makes me feel like Counsell might not be the right man for the job.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

What position player do we need to replace to make our offense so much better?

Outfield seems set.

1B? Thames will be back at some point, is he enough?

SS? C?

2B should be fine if our manager will allow Villar to play there every day. (not that 2017 Villar can't or won't come back. Could happen)

3B is set with Shaw.

Benching Santana (or Braun for that matter) for a AAAA guy like Choi is asinine. Just no excuse for it. None. It’s what makes me feel like Counsell might not be the right man for the job.

I don't know. All 3 have looked pretty bad this week...Braun is not Pujols bad, but je ia certainly providing less and less value.

Please stop walking Rajai Davis.

I'm with you on that. 100%.

Outfield seems set.

SS? C?

2B should be fine if our manager will allow Villar to play there every day. (not that 2017 Villar can't or won't come back. Could happen)

3B is set with Shaw.

Is OF set? Two-thirds of the way, I think. Of course, we have very little realistic chance to move Braun or Santana at this point, and they wouldn't bring a lot back.

The downside of depth is that sometimes all your 1-2 WAR players look more like 1 WAR players all at once.

Outfield seems set.

SS? C?

3B is set with Shaw.

Agreed. May it be time to move around the order some?

I've never understood Villar hitting 7th. Bat him second and move Yelich into the three spot?

Cain

Villar

Yelich

Shaw

Aguilar

Had to come back with something with substance after my first ever post, long time reader, of course. :)

OF is set simply because of what you said. Domingo and Braun are here to stay. Yelich and Cain will play daily. I can't see any changes being made with the OF.

OF is set simply because of what you said. Domingo and Braun are here to stay. Yelich and Cain will play daily. I can't see any changes being made with the OF.

Santana has an option remaining (According to roster resource anyway); I'd look to use it. Play Braun, Cain, Yelich. Having Thames play LF or Phillips in RF on their off days may not be ideal (Due to defense and offense respectively), but to me Santana offers nothing right now. He's a poor defender (Defensive metrics like him so far this year, but they need a lot more data to be reliable. So I'll trust his career numbers), offers nothing on the bases. And he's not doing the one thing a DH type needs to do, which is hit. His approach and his numbers don't really suggest he's due to improve either.

Not that it'll make a huge difference, but I don't really see much of a reason not to do it.

Santana has an option remaining (According to roster resource anyway); I'd look to use it. Play Braun, Cain, Yelich. Having Thames play LF or Phillips in RF on their off days may not be ideal (Due to defense and offense respectively), but to me Santana offers nothing right now. He's a poor defender (Defensive metrics like him so far this year, but they need a lot more data to be reliable. So I'll trust his career numbers), offers nothing on the bases. And he's not doing the one thing a DH type needs to do, which is hit. His approach and his numbers don't really suggest he's due to improve either.

Not that it'll make a huge difference, but I don't really see much of a reason not to do it.

Agree with this. Maybe seeing the ball fly out of CS will help Santana, and maybe Braun gets it going.

Edit: that was a pretty horrendous AB from Aguilar. Yikes.

Phillips doesn’t belong on the MLB roster. Otherwise I agree. He’s just not that good right now (maybe ever).

Archived