Brewer Fanatic

2018-06-03: Brewers (Suter) at White Sox (Covey) 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 6-1]

Eye Black
This team got off to what, it's best start in franchise history? Not quite the same old Brewers. 14 games over and best record in NL even after today. Quite the reactionary IGT today.

The Brewers did have the best 50 game record in franchise history. Do you know the final record of the team that held the previous record?

Given the experiences of 2007, 2009, 2014, and 2017, it’s hard to blame Brewers fans for being somewhere between cautious and skeptical about good starts.

Sure, but saying a 1-2 series loss to the White Sox the first weekend of June is as big a deal as has been noted in this thread is beyond hyperbole. Sure, they have warts, but so do those other teams we fret over.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What makes you think the Cardinals have a better offense than the Brewers? The Cardinals have issues in their bullpen and so do the Cubs. The Brewers have a better team ERA than the Cardinals as well. I don't think this is a case of the same old Brewers. Same old Brewers fans, maybe.

I think the Cardinals have had more damaging injuries, especially with pitchers, than the Brewers have, and as they get guys like Reyes and Martinez into the regular rotation they will be tough. Like the Cubs, they will have several starters better than anyone the Brewers have, including some who are capable of going through a lineup more than twice.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Suter and Chacin have been the most consistent starters this year. Nothing amazing but consistent. Never would’ve guessed that to start the year.

Somewhere, Junior Guerra is crying.

What makes you think the Cardinals have a better offense than the Brewers? The Cardinals have issues in their bullpen and so do the Cubs. The Brewers have a better team ERA than the Cardinals as well. I don't think this is a case of the same old Brewers. Same old Brewers fans, maybe.

I think the Cardinals have had more damaging injuries, especially with pitchers, than the Brewers have, and as they get guys like Reyes and Martinez into the regular rotation they will be tough. Like the Cubs, they will have several starters better than anyone the Brewers have, including some who are capable of going through a lineup more than twice.

Maybe, we still have the better offense, pen and probably defense as well.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Well, it was fun while it lasted. Humiliating series loss. I can just hear Cubs and Cardinals fans doing their best Dana Stubblefield impression "Same old sorry Brewers." And I'm not so sure they're wrong. It's not like this team has a rich history of holding division leads. I figure the Cubs will overtake us for good when they come to Wrigley North in about 10 days.

And if the bullpen starts to falter like they are today and Friday it could get ugly. Albers and Jennings have been bad this weekend.

Wow.

I think you need a Brewers timeout.

Not sure how you can say the Brewers have a better offense when the Cardinals are scoring about the same number of runs in a significantly less hitter friendly park.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

The Cardinals have issues in their bullpen and so do the Cubs.

What issues do the Cubs have in their bullpen? Their starting rotation has underperformed, but their bullpen has been excellent.

They're fine. They're a better team that last year and they still have a very good system. They're not supposed to be able to win every series against bad teams yet. That's an unreasonable expectation. They also have plenty of ways to improve, like when they called up Hader and acquired Swarzak and Walker last year. I don't think they're a true contender yet, but they're getting much closer and they're in a better position than any other wild card contender at this point (still think the Nats, Cubs, and Dodgers are the cream of the crop for the time being).

Not sure how you can say the Brewers have a better offense when the Cardinals are scoring about the same number of runs in a significantly less hitter friendly park.

That whole thing was in response to you saying the Cardinals had a better offense. They don't. By just about every statistical measure the Brewers offense is better including those that adjust for park factors. It isn't monumental, but they are better than the Cards. Thus, not sure how you can say the Brewers don't have a better offense.

Archived