Brewer Fanatic

James Shields

SP James Shields + $6-7M (Whatever is left on his deal this season) for Brewers 16th prospect RHP Caden Lemons.

Shields has a higher fWAR than any current Brewers starter. 6 of last 7 starts are quality. 8 straight starts of 6 IP+, all of last 4 starts were 7 IP+. Team leader and great clubhouse guy, has been credited by many young Sox prospects for helping them with pitches and grips and mentoring.

Thoughts?

I don't trust Shields to continue getting the results he's getting at all. Not interested.

If you add his last 5 starts of 2017 to his first dozen this season, he's been quite decent, and he goes deep in games. That's not an insignificant amount of time. Clearly the White Sox are showcasing him. I think there's likely better options out there, but for a guy who wouldn't cost much in terms of talent back, I wouldn't dismiss him all that easily.

James Shields prior to yesterdays game, I had zero interest. After watching him pitch, I thought his stuff was nasty. Would I give high prospects for him, NO...Would I consider him for a couple a candidate for a trade in the middle of summer...Sure (At the right price, and not give away the farm)

Shields likes to pitch deeper into games. He may not want to come to Milwaukee knowing our new philosophy.

But he was very impressive yesterday.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'd be thrilled to get Shields if the return isn't significant in trading for him. It'll all come down to asking price. He's not a guy you count on to be a TOR arm in a pennant race, but as starting pitching depth and an upgrade to the bottom of the rotation? Absolutely
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Shields likes to pitch deeper into games. He may not want to come to Milwaukee knowing our new philosophy.

Not that impressive.... played with fire early and gave up multiple long balls.

Stearns loves his organizational depth, and Shields wouldn't cost a major prospect at this point - if he continues to pitch well, I'm sure the Brewers will look into it.

I expect the Brewers to check on a bunch of pitchers, and a bunch of whatever else they think the roster needs - why wouldn't they?

Stearns loves his organizational depth, and Shields wouldn't cost a major prospect at this point - if he continues to pitch well, I'm sure the Brewers will look into it.

I expect the Brewers to check on a bunch of pitchers, and a bunch of whatever else they think the roster needs - why wouldn't they?

Because he's been quite bad since 2015 and would cost us millions.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Shields is a shell of his former self - and at 36, he's probably not going to get better. His 2018 has been okay, but his HR rate is really low (for him). This is a guy who has given up 33, 40 and 27 HRs over the past three years (last season's 27 HRs surrender was done is just 117 innings). He's been better this year, but I just wouldn't trust him going forward - especially in Miller Park.

Perhaps the guy has fixed something in his delivery or whatever - but 1/3 of a mediocre season isn't enough to wipe away his last few years.

If you want some starting pitching depth he might work, but I wouldn't give up anything for him - and I certainly wouldn't take him without the Sox covering a boatload of his salary. He's the kind of guy you might pick up at the trade deadline for nothing if you have some back of the rotation concerns. But nothing more.

Philosophy? I think it's more that our starters can't make it deep into games, not that we don't want them to. Who wouldn't want a guy cruising through 7 innings per start, 1 inning of Hader, 1 Knebel?

Philosophy? I think it's more that our starters can't make it deep into games, not that we don't want them to. Who wouldn't want a guy cruising through 7 innings per start, 1 inning of Hader, 1 Knebel?

If you don’t think it’s part of their new philosophy, you haven’t been watching much. There have been plenty of opportunities to have our starter go farther in games and we don’t do it. Like Counsell has even said, they go into the game with an idea of how many outs they want to get out of a pitcher. We have seen our games get through 6ip and be at 80 pitches and still come out.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If you don’t think it’s part of their new philosophy, you haven’t been watching much. There have been plenty of opportunities to have our starter go farther in games and we don’t do it. Like Counsell has even said, they go into the game with an idea of how many outs they want to get out of a pitcher. We have seen our games get through 6ip and be at 80 pitches and still come out.

For some reason i'm having trouble envisioning a Corey Kluber, Luis Severino, Aaron Nola, Michael Wacha, etc type of pitcher being pulled at/before 80 pitches for us.

In my opinion they're molding to what we have, not molding the pitching. Brent Suter cannot go more than 5 innings, Chacin is the 6ish type. Guerra again, 5-6ish innings. Anderson is the only guy we have that can realistically go deep when he's on. Nelson can (and will) go deep when healthy. If they are doing it how you say they are then Shields is going to be RIGHT in their wheelhouse and a likely trade target.

I certainly wouldn't take him without the Sox covering a boatload of his salary. He's the kind of guy you might pick up at the trade deadline for nothing if you have some back of the rotation concerns. But nothing more.

No. READ the original post again. I'm asking about a specific offer, whether or not you guys would accept that deal or not. Not "Hey, what do you think of James Shields?".

All money covered, Lemons as the return.

I certainly wouldn't take him without the Sox covering a boatload of his salary. He's the kind of guy you might pick up at the trade deadline for nothing if you have some back of the rotation concerns. But nothing more.

No. READ the original post again. I'm asking about a specific offer, whether or not you guys would accept that deal or not. Not "Hey, what do you think of James Shields?".

Okay. No.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Okay. No.

Agree. No.

For some reason i'm having trouble envisioning a Corey Kluber, Luis Severino, Aaron Nola, Michael Wacha, etc type of pitcher being pulled at/before 80 pitches for us.

In my opinion they're molding to what we have, not molding the pitching. Brent Suter cannot go more than 5 innings, Chacin is the 6ish type. Guerra again, 5-6ish innings. Anderson is the only guy we have that can realistically go deep when he's on. Nelson can (and will) go deep when healthy. If they are doing it how you say they are then Shields is going to be RIGHT in their wheelhouse and a likely trade target.

But Shields goes deeper into games generally because the White Sox are tanking and don't care much and have not completely enacted the Brewers' stragety (partially due to not having as dominant of a bullpen). He's not a bad option to leave in there for the 6th/7th, but given our bullpen options, he's an inferior choice.

Now, Shields is pitching fairly well currently when he makes it to the 6th/7th, but that is beside the point.

We have a loaded/deep bullpen. If the game is close, we are tied or ahead, and Shields puts a man on base in the 6th with the meat of the opponent order up...which do you prefer? Unhittable Josh Hader to put the fire out, followed by Jeffress, followed by Albers or Knebel? Or do you want to see if you can get 15-20 more pitches out of 4.50 xFIP/ERA James Shields and then turn to the bullpen?

Severino, Kluber, etc. do not get pulled at 80 pitches because leaving them in is essentially as good as bringing in Josh Hader.

There does reach a point where we may need to have starters that can go deeper to maintain the bullpen throughout the year but I do not think that is an issue for our team this year. We are likely going to make it to September with a fresh enough bullpen because it is so deep.

Maybe this is what you meant and I'm misunderstanding. If so, apologies.

Archived