Brewer Fanatic

Davies back to [10-day] DL... Choi recalled... Bandy outrighted to AAA

markedman5

Pretty amazing that we are in first place getting nothing from Davies and Nelson and very little from Chase

Thankfully Guerra has been a nice surprise, Chacin has been decent and Suter has been serviceable. But it is amazing as we're missing major production from our top 3 from last year.

This team might finally be learning how to use the 10 day do to their advantage.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Hopefully they send Davies out on a couple of rehab assignments to make sure he's right so he doesn't get shelled again right out of the gate when he comes back.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I get the feeling Davies is going to wind up the odd man out in the rotation longterm - depending on trade targets, I wouldn't be surprised to see him dealt before this time next season (likely offseason, possibly Spring training 2019 or least likely at this year's deadline considering he's scuffling with a shoulder). I think they have plenty of rotation options moving forward to forget about consistently hold a spot open for Davies, who struggles with consistency early in seasons and is going to start getting more expensive compared to other pre-arby options who will deserve their chance (Peralta, Burnes, Woodruff, others). If the Brewers bring in a veteran starter at this year's deadline, Davies' role for 2018 becomes even less clear.

Hopefully they send Davies out on a couple of rehab assignments to make sure he's right so he doesn't get shelled again right out of the gate when he comes back.

He got a rehab outing during his last DL stint and he looked sharp before promptly getting pounded in Milwaukee.

I suspect he really is dealing with injury issues much more so than this being mostly about DL manipulation.

If this was about my post, I just meant putting him on the dl now instead of waiting 4 days hoping it gets better before finding out he has to go on the dl anyway.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

I suspect he really is dealing with injury issues much more so than this being mostly about DL manipulation.

If this was about my post, I just meant putting him on the dl now instead of waiting 4 days hoping it gets better before finding out he has to go on the dl anyway.

No, not at all criticizing your post. I agree in general that I think the Brewers are getting smarter about utilizing the 10 Day DL. I'm just sincerely concerned about Davies' health through the rest of this season and especially over the next several weeks vs a tough(er) schedule.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

No, not at all criticizing your post. I agree in general that I think the Brewers are getting smarter about utilizing the 10 Day DL. I'm just sincerely concerned about Davies' health through the rest of this season and especially over the next several weeks vs a tough(er) schedule.

Same here

A ‘hurt’ or sore Davies is like a bad version of Jeff Suppan

The good version takes a month or two to get going. I fear he may be a rough case this year one way or another

The Brewers aren’t waiting to see if Davies will get better because they don’t even need him right now. If we needed a 5th starter likely he doesn’t even go on the DL. This was mostly a move to get someone on the roster we can use and avoid using a pitcher that has been terrible.

Also the Brewers said he is going to rest (with some throwing), no rehab assignment.

why don't they just leave him in extended spring training pitching every 5 days in a minor league game and bring him to the majors the first or second week of May when he's fine tuned his mechanics. Throwing BP for several games in April/May doesn't help the Brewers... Or have him report middle of January and get him started a full month before the rest of the team if it takes him so long to be effective...

A lot of young pitchers have problems with certain part of the season. Some need to learn to get going early, some to pitch in the dog days of summer, some late in the season when they are getting fatigued. Most of them learn to figure it out. Unless they are never allowed to figure it out. But it would be more a victim of a self fulfilling prophecy than any actual flaw that cannot be fixed.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Davies is hurt and I'd be surprised to see him make a meaningful impact for more than 2-3 starts in a row for the rest of the year, if he even gets that far. I like what Davies brings to the table, but when these issues come up -for any pitcher, I just don't see it for him this year.

Archived