Brewer Fanatic

2018 All Star Game Selections

Eye Black
Community Moderator

The voting for the 2018 MLB All-Star Game selections begins tomorrow (June 1st). This year’s mid-Summer classic is in Washington, DC on July 17th.

Here is the PDF version of the All-Star Ballot.

Use this thread to discuss which players (both Brewers and beyond) are making the best cases to be considered All-Star team worthy this year.

While pitchers obviously aren’t subject to fan voting, feel free to weigh-in on which pitchers deserve the All-Star Game nod as well.

EDIT: Here is the Online All-Star Game Ballot.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Community Moderator

My early votes for the NL and AL starting position players are as follows:

National League

1B - Freddie Freeman, Braves

2B - Scooter Gennett, Reds

SS - Trea Turner, Nationals

3B - Nolan Arenado, Rockies

C - Buster Posey, Giants

LF - Christian Yelich, Brewers

CF - Lorenzo Cain, Brewers

RF - Nick Markakis, Braves

American League

1B - Jose Abreu, White Sox

2B - Jose Altuve, Astros

SS - Francisco Lindor, Indians

3B - Jose Ramirez, Indians

C - Wilson Ramos, Rays

LF - Andrew Benintendi, Red Sox

CF - Mike Trout, Angels

RF - Mookie Betts, Red Sox

DH - J.D. Martinez, Red Sox

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Can I just say that I'm glad that they delayed the beginning of the voting this year to June 1st. Unless, I'm mis-remembering, I seem to recall days (maybe even last year) when they would already be voting for all-stars in early May. It always seemed to be ridiculous to be voting on all-stars with such a small sample of stats to use to make informed decisions.

Of course, it's all a popularity contest anyways, so I guess the stats don't really matter.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Don't think Shaw makes it with Bryant, Villanueva, Arenado and Longoria in the mix and a couple of those teams probably only getting 1 rep. I'd guess Cain makes it over Yelich if either one of them does, but even that isn't a sure thing.

I think we get two and the Brewer community is outraged. Hader is the lock, I'll guess Cain makes it too. Maybe we push a third in with the final 5 vote.

Lorenzo Cain and Josh Hader are essentially locks. Most places have Cain as a Top 5 MVP candidate. Being as he has been so good and we are winning like crazy wouldn’t shock me if he actually gets voted in. Christian Yelich is also having a hot start to the year (something he hasn’t always done) so he has a really good chance too. However he missed out in 2016 after a blazing start.

And not to damper the mood, but not only is Hader making the roster he is also going to pitch. No way he doesn’t...sorry. That being said since he usually pitch him 2 innings or sometimes more I honestly don’t care if he pitches a single inning during the ASG. He will get plenty of rest.

While the game itself doesn’t matter it is nice to put as many Brewers as you can and get some National attention. Maybe then announcers will know it’s Miller Park and not Miller Field. SMH.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I came up with this in about 30 seconds so if anyone has disputes, they are probably warranted.

In: Hader

Probably in: Cain

In if positions aren't overloaded with big market votes/1 representative guys: Jeffress, Yelich

Probably not in, but in play: Shaw

Longshot: Aguilar

Even longer shot: Guerra

My early votes for the NL and AL starting position players are as follows:

National League

1B - Freddie Freeman, Braves

2B - Scooter Gennett, Reds

SS - Trea Turner, Nationals

3B - Nolan Arenado, Rockies

C - Buster Posey, Giants

LF - Christian Yelich, Brewers

CF - Lorenzo Cain, Brewers

RF - Nick Markakis, Braves

American League

1B - Jose Abreu, White Sox

2B - Jose Altuve, Astros

SS - Francisco Lindor, Indians

3B - Jose Ramirez, Indians

C - Wilson Ramos, Rays

LF - Andrew Benintendi, Red Sox

CF - Mike Trout, Angels

RF - Mookie Betts, Red Sox

DH - J.D. Martinez, Red Sox

Great list Eye Black. I think my only changes would be Realmuto - NL C and Michael Brantley - AL LF. I had no idea that Markakis was having such a good year.

AL

1B - Jose Abreu

2B - Jose Altuve

SS - Manny Machado

3B - Jose Ramirez

C - Wilson Ramos

OF - Aaron Judge

OF - Mookie Betts

OF - Mike Trout

DH - JD Martinez

NL

1B - Freddie Freeman

2B - Scooter Gennett

SS - Trea Turner

3B - Eugenio Suarez

C - JT Realmuto

OF - Bryce Harper

OF - Lorenzo Cain

OF - Odubel Herrera

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Markakis has his best year slugging at his age 34 season, makes you scratch your head.

He's got 7 homeruns in almost 300 plate appearances..... Sometimes a guy is just hitting really good. Markakis is hitting .328, which he's never done. His ISO isn't way out of line from his career norms.

Please keep Hader and Jeffress out of it. While they are deserving, there's no reason to waste their arms in this pointless exhibition. Send Sogard if you have to. I really couldn't care less about which Brewers go or don't go.

Neither would be used for more than an inning and with All Star break now 4 days, both would be ready to resume their normal roles on the first game out of the break. Hader is a lock and for Jeffress it would be an awesome honor considering his career ups and downs.

Please keep Hader and Jeffress out of it. While they are deserving, there's no reason to waste their arms in this pointless exhibition. Send Sogard if you have to. I really couldn't care less about which Brewers go or don't go.

Neither would be used for more than an inning and with All Star break now 4 days, both would be ready to resume their normal roles on the first game out of the break. Hader is a lock and for Jeffress it would be an awesome honor considering his career ups and downs.

Considering the rate at which pitchers randomly get hurt I don't want any of our pitchers anywhere near the all star game. This place would burn to the ground if Hader felt a twinge pitching in the all star game and missed a month, and rightly so.

Considering the rate at which pitchers randomly get hurt I don't want any of our pitchers anywhere near the all star game. This place would burn to the ground if Hader felt a twinge pitching in the all star game and missed a month, and rightly so.

If that happened in the ASG, it would have happened in his next appearance in a "real" game. His elbow doesn't know it's an ASG or regular season game.

In fact, pitching an inning in the ASG keeps him on a regular schedule. One could argue having at least 4 days off in a row and then pitching could be an even greater risk.

I kinda prefer not to mother full grown adults. Sure we can strap on knee pads, elbow pads and safety goggles for every little risk but a guy playing in the ASG is an experience I wouldn't want to deny any player just for purely selfish fan reasons. How often is a guy like Hader (or to a lesser extent Jeffress) going to have this chance as a non-closing relief pitcher?

We'd all love to be able to say Hader will continue to be all-star worthy for seasons to come but there's really no certainty of that happening for one reason or another. Heck, the wheels could fall off in the next month and he'd be out of the running because he couldn't maintain his performance level. I will gladly take the risk of him pitching an inning in a meaningless exhibition game if it means he's continued to be a baseball unicorn when the voting ends.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Archived