Brewer Fanatic

Hader or Knebel for the last out in the 9th?

owbc

Hader or Knebel for the last out in the 9th? (5/30 game situation)  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Hader or Knebel for the last out in the 9th? (5/30 game situation)

• Hader
    • Knebel

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
depends on situation - righty or lefty, how many pitches thrown, how much rest they've had etc. etc.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Kind of skewed when you ask in hindsight to be honest. Anyone who didn't really know at the time is now going to say "Oh yeah Knebel was right" now that it worked out, as they probably would have if we had stuck with Hader and it had worked out.

Kind of skewed when you ask in hindsight to be honest. Anyone who didn't really know at the time is now going to say "Oh yeah Knebel was right" now that it worked out, as they probably would have if we had stuck with Hader and it had worked out.

Yah, kind of pointless to ask now. The IGT seems to lean Hader while this leans painfully Knebel. I’m calling BS.

The question should be answered honestly. How did you feel in your gut when the change was made? That is how it should be answered. Hindsight answers are ridiculous..

When the change was made, I thought it was asinine given the struggles Knebel has been having. I did NOT want him in a high leverage situation, and if it had been up to me, it would have all been up to Hader.

I voted Hader, but m glad it worked out.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I choose third option. I was ok with either one.

That's my vote. Contrary to popular belief, not every move CC makes is either genius or moronic. I was fine either way, even fine if Knebel started the inning. CC knows way more about each player and the bigger picture than we do.

The question should be answered honestly. How did you feel in your gut when the change was made? That is how it should be answered. Hindsight answers are ridiculous..

When the change was made, I thought it was asinine given the struggles Knebel has been having. I did NOT want him in a high leverage situation, and if it had been up to me, it would have all been up to Hader.

Should be? Yes. But we all know in the real world that if Knebel had come in and served up a tater today, this poll looks much different.

I choose third option. I was ok with either one.

That's my vote. Contrary to popular belief, not every move CC makes is either genius or moronic. I was fine either way, even fine if Knebel started the inning. CC knows way more about each player and the bigger picture than we do.

This

When you have lots of good options you make your choices and then they either work out or they don't.....

I'm just glad Hader got his glove on that comebacker or they might still be playing after blown saves from JJ and Hader in the same game.

It is not like the game got postponed in the middle of the last at bat. We know the answer, Knebel got the last out. We won the game. I'll take the W over any "could have should have" argument. Counsell said in the post game press conference that Hader had already faced 9 batters and he was struggling a little and he didn't want anyone to face him a 2nd time.

Works for me....

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

At the time, I trusted Counsell. He has made so many correct calls with bullpen management that I trusted the move....

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

The move at the time and in hindsight was the correct one. Hader was blowing up a bit and was extremely lucky already not to give up the lead. It was a righty and there was a base open so a good spot for Knebel. If the bases were loaded or a lefty coming up I think they stick with Hader one more batter. Counsell's explanation was fine so kind of silly for some to complain Knebel is leading the poll and only a hindsight answer.

No-brainer to me. Hader is on pace for almost 100 innings. The most he ever pitched in the minors was 126, as a full-time starter with regular rest. He's only 24 and it would be incredibly short-sighted to risk over-using him at all. I'm not saying they're over-using him now, but they would be if they kept him in every time people here clamored for him. He doesn't have to go 2 innings every time, especially if he looks at all tired. That's crazy to me.

You have to trust Knebel to get 1 out against a power RHB in that situation, period. Williams, Barnes, and Albers already pitched 2 innings in the series. Jeffress was done for the day. I'm well aware of Knebel's struggles, and I'm about as much of a "Knebel regression" guy as anyone because of his walks. Knebel should not automatically get every 1-inning save chance regardless of match-ups. But 1 crucial out in a favorable match-up with first base open is completely different. Not wanting him as the "closer" doesn't mean you should never use him in crucial situations. Glad CC is in charge and playing the long game.

I was at the game yesterday and just now have a chance to respond. I had noticed two things about Hader. He was getting squeezed for balls and strikes and he was laboring in the 9th. When I saw Knebel warning up, I knew if the winning run got on base, that Knebel would come in and I thought it was a good move before Knebel got the save. Hindsight is always 20 20 but regardless of the outcome, I think this was the right move. That being said, letting Hader go one more batter given that Martinez was up I think also wouldn't have been a bad move persay.

Community Moderator
The poll yielded a fairly divided result--hopefully a lesson that bullpen decisions can be quite subjective. If Knebel had blown the game I'm sure the result would be different--maybe 60-40 in the other direction.

The poll yielded a fairly divided result--hopefully a lesson that bullpen decisions can be quite subjective. If Knebel had blown the game I'm sure the result would be different--maybe 60-40 in the other direction.

Lol, there's no way you believe that number.

Archived