Brewer Fanatic

2018-05-28: Cardinals (Weaver) at Brewers (Suter) 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 8-3]

Eye Black
Counsel is doing great. Making tough moves? He just Arcia down. Last year things like putting down Guerra, Peralta. Pulled the plug on Villar last year, has now pulled it on Sogard twice. I mean, when Braun came back it was whining about how all he'll do is put him back in the 3 hole and braun will suck. Well, he does exactly what ya'll wanted and you're complaining about the manner in which he did it. Plus, Braun has been great.

For all the nitpicking of Counsel on here you'd think we're below .500 and have some clear locker room issues rather than massively overachieving the last two years I think he's got the locker room fully on his side to do whatever he sees fit. Of course little stuff here or there that we might do different, but overall he's doing great. Let's get behind him

Here we go again. Can't disagree with one thing without the dramatics of "you'd think we're below. 500" or "let's get behind him". "Whining" "Complaining"

I never said Counsell wasn't doing great. I think he's a great manager, it does mean he is exempt from ever being critiqued. I hope he's here a long time. One can disagree with someone they like on something without it being a big flipping deal.

I love my wife, it does not mean I agree with everything she does.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Counsel is far and away the best manager of this team in my lifetime, maybe the best in franchise history once it's all said and done. Seriously, the things I remember past Brewer managers doing are just crazy compared to Counsel.

Was at a game where Macha refused to use his last bench player because he was the backup catcher, even though it was late in extras and we had a runner at 3rd and one out, Randy Wolf pinch hit instead and struck out while the Brewers later ended up losing.

Was at a game where the Brewers trailed 2-1 in the bottom of the 7th, runners on the corners and just one out, Lopes decides to let Sheets hit for himself, he lays down a sacrifice (not a squeeze or saftey squeeze) just flat out sac the runner to 2nd, Brewers don't score and end up losing.

Watched Yost continue to put Turnbow in to close games and never take him out until the lead was gone, doesn't matter if he's walked the last two hitters on 8 pitches, he's the closer and he's not coming out of the game. Watched RR decide it's a good idea to have your #2 hitter laying down sac bunts after the leadoff hitter gets on base to open the game. Watched him decide to put Kotsay in CF in the NLCS! Nothing like Bettancourt, Weeks, Kotsay up the middle defensively! Watched Kameron Loe pitch to the meat of a lefty heavy lineup because its the 8th inning and he's the 8th inning guy regardless of if he's pitched 5 days in a row. Watched Yost put McClung in the 8th inning of a one run game late in the pennant race so he could play beanball and get payback from something earlier.

There's probably hundreds more that many of you remember over the years but with Counsel, very few. He manages this team about as optimally as possible and the results the last couple of years have been very good.

Counsel is far and away the best manager of this team in my lifetime, maybe the best in franchise history once it's all said and done. Seriously, the things I remember past Brewer managers doing are just crazy compared to Counsel.

Was at a game where Macha refused to use his last bench player because he was the backup catcher, even though it was late in extras and we had a runner at 3rd and one out, Randy Wolf pinch hit instead and struck out while the Brewers later ended up losing.

Was at a game where the Brewers trailed 2-1 in the bottom of the 7th, runners on the corners and just one out, Lopes decides to let Sheets hit for himself, he lays down a sacrifice (not a squeeze or saftey squeeze) just flat out sac the runner to 2nd, Brewers don't score and end up losing.

Watched Yost continue to put Turnbow in to close games and never take him out until the lead was gone, doesn't matter if he's walked the last two hitters on 8 pitches, he's the closer and he's not coming out of the game. Watched RR decide it's a good idea to have your #2 hitter laying down sac bunts after the leadoff hitter gets on base to open the game. Watched him decide to put Kotsay in CF in the NLCS! Nothing like Bettancourt, Weeks, Kotsay up the middle defensively! Watched Kameron Loe pitch to the meat of a lefty heavy lineup because its the 8th inning and he's the 8th inning guy regardless of if he's pitched 5 days in a row. Watched Yost put McClung in the 8th inning of a one run game late in the pennant race so he could play beanball and get payback from something earlier.

There's probably hundreds more that many of you remember over the years but with Counsel, very few. He manages this team about as optimally as possible and the results the last couple of years have been very good.

Macha really wasn't that terrible but his refusal to ever use his backup catcher was dumb I agree. Macha's worst flaw was a totally flat personality and complete inability to relate to any of his players.

Roenicke was the opposite, he generally seemed respected but was a terrible manager. He didn't seem to have a clue. He just seemed to do whatever fit into Small Ball 101.

I didn't think Yost was as bad as people made him out to be, heck the guy has a World Series now. Remember him being a pretty bad bullpen manager. It also drove me nuts that he would bat the pitcher 8th but then bat Tony Gwynn Jr. #2 and thus totally defeat the purpose of batting the pitcher 8th.

None of the guys in the 15 years or so before that really ever had an ounce of talent to work with and are pretty tough to evaluate. I agree on Counsell being the best of the bunch. I liked Sveum and wish he had gotten the job in 2009 instead of Macha, but we'll never know how it would have worked out.

i was there. There were probably 5000 cardinals fans there.

In a sold out crowd of 43,000 that fact didnt bother me at all

Cardinal fans are known for showing up on the road

but it wasnt like when packer fans have 25,000 to 30,000 against

the buccaneers or arizona cardinals.

The only time i noticed was when they hit a 2 run homer

God, I hate this moron.

I don’t care for him but I don’t think he’s wrong. Aguilar is not good defensively.

Huh? I think he is just fine at 1st. smh

That’s great that you do but numbers suggest he’s average at best.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don’t see the issue with talking to Braun about the batting order switch. It’s not like Counsell asked for his permission, he sat down and explained why he was doing it... it’s called communication. Did he have to do it? No, but good leaders do it

Great game, great run these last few weeks, this team is so fun to watch.

And the first page of the IGT never disappoints. :laughing

Not only was Braun ok with keeping Jesus at 3.....he suggested it. Putting the team first....great to see.

Things like this go a long ways in a marathon season. Leadership is good on this team and it’s showing.

He also had a good game as well.

I predicted this team could be World Series champs. Games like this make me feel very optimistic.

I don’t see the issue with talking to Braun about the batting order switch. It’s not like Counsell asked for his permission, he sat down and explained why he was doing it... it’s called communication. Did he have to do it? No, but good leaders do it

really strange that there are so many who are not giving Counsell credit. Dont get me wrong, managers are fair game but how he has handled our pitching has been phenomenal.

really strange that there are so many who are not giving Counsell credit. Dont get me wrong, managers are fair game but how he has handled our pitching has been phenomenal.

Basically everyone is giving Counsell credit. And Stearns.

Counsel is doing great. Making tough moves? He just Arcia down. Last year things like putting down Guerra, Peralta. Pulled the plug on Villar last year, has now pulled it on Sogard twice. I mean, when Braun came back it was whining about how all he'll do is put him back in the 3 hole and braun will suck. Well, he does exactly what ya'll wanted and you're complaining about the manner in which he did it. Plus, Braun has been great.

For all the nitpicking of Counsel on here you'd think we're below .500 and have some clear locker room issues rather than massively overachieving the last two years I think he's got the locker room fully on his side to do whatever he sees fit. Of course little stuff here or there that we might do different, but overall he's doing great. Let's get behind him

Here we go again. Can't disagree with one thing without the dramatics of "you'd think we're below. 500" or "let's get behind him". "Whining" "Complaining"

I never said Counsell wasn't doing great. I think he's a great manager, it does mean he is exempt from ever being critiqued. I hope he's here a long time. One can disagree with someone they like on something without it being a big flipping deal.

You tried to make the argument or larger judgment that Counsell is incapable of making tough decisions based on something as little Braun bringing this up to him rather than him doing it on his own. And yea I'm the one overreacting.

You tried to make the argument or larger judgment that Counsell is incapable of making tough decisions based on something as little Braun bringing this up to him rather than him doing it on his own. And yea I'm the one overreacting.

So then give examples why you disagree, like you started off doing, instead of dramatically making it about implications that we suck, we're under .500, and we should be grateful and supportive instead of whining and complaining.

I think Counsell and Stearns do a fantastic job, but I find the backlash quite over the top sometimes when one might simply disagree or take exception to a single thing they do.

No, as I said there's gonna be little stuff here and there and of course I'm one to point them out here and there too. And I'll acknowledge as little things, not try to make some grand judgment. The .500 type lines is about how frequent this is on the board (not specific to you), like he's constantly under scrutiny as if he's doing terrible. ETA: my list of examples were things of significance that he's had the balls to do after you were saying he wouldn't know how to handle a tough decisions based on having a disucssion with your 10 year MVP vet instead of just doing it on his own with no communication.

Specific to your post, you were trying to make some kind of larger grand judgment on his ability to make difficult decisions based on whether he batted a guy 5th or 3rd. And even though he did what you wanted, you still disapproved the manner in which he got to the decision.

And specific to the Braun handling when he came back, he's done nothing that was ballyhooed on here as a likely problem. Hasn't played him every day, moved him down, Jeses still playing 1B. Yet you're still finding something to criticize him, even though he's doing what you want.

ETA: good time to have 5 DH games to get everyone in the lineup. Though, I'm sure he'll still find a way to play PErez in the OF somehow, there's my little nitpicking.

Part of me wants to contact my ex-student employee and find out whether he stayed to the end today or not.

The rest of me knows better than to prolong contact. Thanks, Brewers.

You could text him a "neener neener"!

If I text him, he'd then have my cell phone number and based on his library conduct, he would NEVER STOP texting me. :(

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived