Brewer Fanatic

What should be DS targets

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Britton just came back from his injury. It wouldn't hurt to get another lefty in the pen. Price tag is unknown right now.

I'm guessing Baltimore is going to hang on to him a while so that he can prove he's healthy. If he's lights out, the price will certainly go up. But right now, I doubt Britton costs too much since he's making $12M and coming off an injury. Take on his remaining salary and perhaps you don't have to give up too much.

Britton just came back from his injury. It wouldn't hurt to get another lefty in the pen. Price tag is unknown right now.

I'm guessing Baltimore is going to hang on to him a while so that he can prove he's healthy. If he's lights out, the price will certainly go up. But right now, I doubt Britton costs too much since he's making $12M and coming off an injury. Take on his remaining salary and perhaps you don't have to give up too much.

Yeah I don't expect Baltimore to move Britton anytime soon and his value could be sky high or it could be nothing at all. I would still be interested in him no matter what as he could fill in as a lefty only worst case scenario.

Who could be had and how much? Huira and Burnes are untouchable.

Jed Lowrie- 2B/SS (Erceg)

Tim Anderson- Unsure of cost (Santana and Nottingham)

Marcus Siemien- Would cost a lot (Santana, Nottingham and Peralta)

Asdrubal Cabrera- Would cost. Can he play SS full time? (Peralta and Ray)

Freddy Galvis- Could be cheap (Erceg)

Manny Machado- #3 Hitter, rental ( Santana, Ray and Peralta)

Who could be had and how much? Huira and Burnes are untouchable.

Jed Lowrie- 2B/SS (Erceg)

Tim Anderson- Unsure of cost (Santana and Nottingham)

Marcus Siemien- Would cost a lot (Santana, Nottingham and Peralta)

Asdrubal Cabrera- Would cost. Can he play SS full time? (Peralta and Ray)

Freddy Galvis- Could be cheap (Erceg)

Manny Machado- #3 Hitter, rental ( Santana, Ray and Peralta)

Lowrie would be a fine 2B, but he's really come down the past month. More of a utility guy - or if you think he'll stabilize 2B - he's an option.

Carbera would a rental as he's a FA after the season. No way you pay that much for him. And he's not a very good SS anymore. He'd be fine 2B if you wanted to get a guy to solidify the position for the rest of the year. Perhaps he wouldn't be awful at SS, but I remember seeing him a year or two ago at the position and he seems to have really lost his range (which was never that good).

Semien isn't anything special in my opinion. He's okay. I don't think he'd cost anything close to what you've posted. But maybe others feel he's a lot better.

Galvis is not much different than Arica. Good defender, can't hit. At 28, never will change. I'd pass.

Anderson has a .290 OBP for his career. He's got some talent, but his inability to get on base is a killer. Just too flawed of a player for my taste. I certainly wouldn't want to have him in our line up now.

Machado would be ideal. I think the price would be big - but not massive, as he's a rental. But exactly how much he would cost is another story. You're offer of Peralta, Ray and Santana seems high on initial glance - but when you consider it, Santana's stock is really down. And Ray and Peralta aren't can't miss type prospects. Not sure if Baltimore would want Santana. I read somewhere they would want a couple of young, close to the majors arms.

Some interesting ideas.

I've got to think Brandon Woodruff still holds some solid trade value. He was a low top 100 prospect before his graduation, and between his dominance for the Sky Sox this year and mixed results for the Brewers, that value probably holds firm now.

He has nice stuff and really has only had one bad outing this year -- a real ERA buster in Colorado.

Depending on how comfortable we are with parting with him, he could be a good fit for a club like the Orioles who can afford to be patient with him.

I'm not saying you could get Machado for Woodruff alone, but depending on how Manny's market develops, if the Orioles want controlled young pitching, he could make sense as a headliner.

Verified Member

Just throwing this out there as pure speculation, but I wonder if the Giants would consider a trade centered around Brandon Crawford for Orlando Arcia if they fall further out of contention.

Crawford is under a reasonable contract through 2021, but he's already 31 so his prime is probably not in front of him, whereas the should-be-rebuilding Giants could give Arcia a couple seasons to turn into a star. It also helps them clear a bit more off their overstuffed payroll.

When Crawford is on, as he has been so far this season, he's not much worse than Manny Machado as an overall player. Elite defense and he can hit a bit.

A couple moves like adding Tyson Ross and Brandon Crawford could help us a lot more than one big splashy player.

Just throwing this out there as pure speculation, but I wonder if the Giants would consider a trade centered around Brandon Crawford for Orlando Arcia if they fall further out of contention.

Crawford is under a reasonable contract through 2021, but he's already 31 so his prime is probably not in front of him, whereas the should-be-rebuilding Giants could give Arcia a couple seasons to turn into a star. It also helps them clear a bit more off their overstuffed payroll.

When Crawford is on, as he has been so far this season, he's not much worse than Manny Machado as an overall player. Elite defense and he can hit a bit.

A couple moves like adding Tyson Ross and Brandon Crawford could help us a lot more than one big splashy player.

I like Crawford a lot. And adding him would mean the defense wouldn't suffer. As you note, age is not on his side, but you figure he's got a couple of good seasons left in him. His bat is solid - nothing special (I don't expect him to hit .300+ like his is this year - more like .260ish).

He's due $15M per year through 2021, so he isn't cheap.

Not sure SF would deal him (although they should).

I guess it all comes down to are you willing to move on from Arcia. That's Stearns' call - and I don't know what the answer is.

Crawford is an interesting target but I ask you this: which players have the most trade value for a rebuilding SF Giants team?

In my estimation if Crawford isn't #1, he is #1A to MadBum. That means they are looking for a huge value haul for Crawford.

They would be demanding Hader & likely Keston (for the local marketing) & a young minor league pitcher. If the Crew tries to keep Hader & Keston out of it, all the rest of the minors would be on the table & that it means at least 2 of the following 3 pitchers would be going (Burnes/ Woodruff/ F.Peralta) if not all 3. If only 2, then there are other pieces going as well but I would expect the Giants to be making a pitching grab.

The Giants might have some interest in Arcia but I would not count on it. They could use the payroll flexibility (gained by moving Crawford) to take on a lousy contract & also get a different high upside SS that is blocked in a different organization.

Why do people act like they know what Stearns' style is? He hasn't been here long enough to have a style. Unless you're talking about last year when we were a few games behind in the division to a better team and 5-6 games back in the wildcard and not in any position to go after a big name, especially a rental.

Not saying I want to go after a rental (it's like the last thing I want Stearns to do) just saying we have no idea if he would or not.

It's just kind of a silly time of year for rumors, and I would agree with Trwi that trying to predict what Stearns will or won't do is a fool's errand at this point. Reports mean little, the same reports had us sending Braun for Kemp in the offseason. You constantly see 'reports', the latest ones saying the Brewers will heavily target starting pitching but not Machado. I doubt anyone really knows.

I don't expect us to heavily pursue Machado if the price is too much, but I do expect us to at least do our due diligence on it and keep an eye on his trade market and gauge if an offer makes sense.

I would caution against using the JD Martinez or any rental from last year as a baseline expectation for Machado's market, though. Every market is different. I really have no idea what he will cost, but if I had to venture a guess I would bet it will be a lot closer to a Yu Darvish return than a JD Martinez return. Maybe more than a Yu Darvish return.

It will be really interesting to see what Machado brings, wherever he ends up. I am one that does not want to see any of Hiura, Burnes or Peralta traded unless it's for someone like DeGrom, and even then I'd have a hard time parting with Hiura. Although, Realmuto would be tempting if he could be had with a deal built around one of Burnes/Peralta.

I'd be more interested in some temporary fixes for this season that shouldn't take our top prospects. Guys like Iglesias, Mercer, Lowrie, Ross, Gausman, etc. Another bullpen arm or two.

Why do people act like they know what Stearns' style is? He hasn't been here long enough to have a style.

I think Stearns has shown his style thus far to be the acquisition of controllable players via trade (Yelich, Shaw) or reclamation projects (Chacin, Guerra). Does not mean that long term or even this season that will be his play but I do believe if a deal is made to acquire something significant, it will be for a Syndergaard, Archer type (someone under long term team control) or a Happ, Ross, etc... (a rental but not going to cost a ton in prospect capital) versus an expensive rental like Machado.

Community Moderator
I want nothing to do with Hamels. 6.41 DRA

If they feel the need to obtain a starter Happ would be my preference. Ross would be ok too.

I think they're more likely to roll with the depth they have at SP and hope Guerra, Chacin, Anderson, Davies, Nelson, Burnes, Peralta, Woodruff, etc are enough to get them effective innings the rest of the way.

I agree with everything in this post. If we are to trade for a starter, I really like Happ and Ross as options for us.

I don’t think I realized just how impressive of an age-35 campaign J.A. Happ is having while pitching in the AL East. Through 82.2 IP he has a 1.065 WHIP and a 10.2 K/9! And it would certainly be nice to add another left-handed starter to the rotation.

[sarcasm]Unfortunately being raised a Cubs fan disqualifies Happ from further consideration.[/sarcasm]

Not just “at Night” anymore.

If they feel the need to obtain a starter Happ would be my preference. Ross would be ok too.

I think they're more likely to roll with the depth they have at SP and hope Guerra, Chacin, Anderson, Davies, Nelson, Burnes, Peralta, Woodruff, etc are enough to get them effective innings the rest of the way.

I agree with everything in this post. If we are to trade for a starter, I really like Happ and Ross as options for us.

I don’t think I realized just how impressive of an age-35 campaign J.A. Happ is having while pitching in the AL East. Through 82.2 IP he has a 1.065 WHIP and a 10.2 K/9! And it would certainly be nice to add another left-handed starter to the rotation.

[sarcasm]Unfortunately being raised a Cubs fan disqualifies Happ from further consideration.[/sarcasm]

What about him being Ethan Happ's cousin? There has to be at least some Wisconsin pride in J.A. Happ.

I didn't realize how good Happ's been either. I just thought of him as a finesse lefty who doesn't move the needle much, but he's actually been pretty good the last couple years. Very good against lefties too which comes in handy against good lefty-heavy lineups in our division like the Cubs and Reds.

I still think the need for starting pitching on this team is overblown.

The organizational depth at SP is already extremely strong. I know you can't guarantee production from Nelson this year, but between Nelson, Peralta, and Burnes, our answers are likely already in-house.

So it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to give up valuable trade assets just to add more depth. Maybe if you can get a rental like Happ for little, I could get behind it but I'm guessing the bidding will take him beyond a top 15-20 organizational prospect type, and topping that plus taking on his salary isn't worth it to me when you have numerous in house options.

Failing all that, of course it's always worth adding an ace type like Syndergaard or DeGrom if you can get a good deal, but you don't get guys like that on a good deal.

The organizational depth at SP is already extremely strong. I know you can't guarantee production from Nelson this year, but between Nelson, Peralta, and Burnes, our answers are likely already in-house.

I just don't think it wise to rely on two rookies, one with zero MLB experience, one with 2 very good MLB starts (and 1 not-so-good), and a guy that isn't really throwing yet.

I think the depth is somewhat smoke-and-mirrors. Anderson is pitching worse than last year, Davies has been hurt/ineffective, and we're lucky if we're getting QS out of the likes of Woodruff/Peralta/Suter/insert name here. Chacin and the re-emergence of Guerra have been bright spots in an otherwise fairly dismal rotation so far this year. They're doing enough to win, which has largely been a product of the bullpen eating 3-4 innings every single night, which has worked well so far, but that HAS to start catching up to them.

I don't think we have the luxury to let a guy like Burnes adjust to the majors in the middle of a playoff race.

I just don't think it wise to rely on two rookies, one with zero MLB experience, one with 2 very good MLB starts (and 1 not-so-good), and a guy that isn't really throwing yet.

I think the depth is somewhat smoke-and-mirrors. Anderson is pitching worse than last year, Davies has been hurt/ineffective, and we're lucky if we're getting QS out of the likes of Woodruff/Peralta/Suter/insert name here. Chacin and the re-emergence of Guerra have been bright spots in an otherwise fairly dismal rotation so far this year. They're doing enough to win, which has largely been a product of the bullpen eating 3-4 innings every single night, which has worked well so far, but that HAS to start catching up to them.

I don't think we have the luxury to let a guy like Burnes adjust to the majors in the middle of a playoff race.

I should clarify -- I think between Nelson, Peralta, and Burnes, our options are likely in-house long-term -- not necessarily this season.

I'm ok with selling off decent prospects that are potentially part of the roster crunch anyway, for upgrades anywhere, not necessarily starters.

I don't think it would be wise to sell off major assets because of not wanting to count on Peralta, Nelson, and Burnes for postseason 2018. We're not as good as the Cubs are yet, and someone like Happ doesn't change that. This could be a wild card team, but I'd rather roll with who we got and see what happens rather than invest significantly in a 1 game playoff.

If you want to sell off guys out of roster crunch guys to give us a little better shot this year, sure. But this team should still be looking at the big picture.

Archived