Brewer Fanatic

What should be DS targets

I have a hard time giving up on Davies who's been a cool customer for the Brewers. But this may just not his year. Time will tell. I'll throw another name into the mix: Dan Straily. He'd come with 2 more years of control.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really think Wilson Ramos should be a target. He is a rental, but I wouldn't think he would cost much -- especially compared to Realmuto. He was great in 2016, injured most of last year, and has been solid so far in 2018.

I really think Wilson Ramos should be a target. He is a rental, but I wouldn't think he would cost much -- especially compared to Realmuto. He was great in 2016, injured most of last year, and has been solid so far in 2018.

Good target, Surhoff5. Tampa may want to wait until the deadline to see if they can close the gap on the AL's second WC spot. For now it's looking like the WC's will go to two of BOS/NYY/SEA/HOU. Hopefully those clubs make Tampa's decision easy & sooner.

Via MLBTradeRumors, I found an article from one of the Rays' beat writers from April 14th, with this note buried way at the end:

If the suddenly catcher-depleted Mets had enough interest in Wilson Ramos to take even most of his team-high $10.5 million salary, the Rays would love to talk.
Sounds like they might listen to offers even now.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Verified Member

I'm not a fan of Ramos as a target, because his price is going to be jacked up the league-wide need for catching help (the Nationals and Astros in particular come to mind). Pina works well with the pitching staff and he has a bit of offensive upside if his BABIP normalizes.

I would rather target a rental position player where we can get better value, such as 2B/SS.

As the season progresses, it looks more and more like the starting pitching is what will need an upgrade. Brewers sit at 8th in the NL in runs/game, 9th in starting pitching ERA and 1st in relief pitching ERA. So more bats or starting pitching? What is really a concern is that the xFIP for Brewer starters is 4.58, and that's the second worst mark in the NL (just barely behind the Marlins - 4.62). Now maybe Stearns will think Miley and Peralta will fix that down the road, but it's hard for me to think any analytics guy would look at the current number and not be concerned about it.

As the season progresses, it looks more and more like the starting pitching is what will need an upgrade. Brewers sit at 8th in the NL in runs/game, 9th in starting pitching ERA and 1st in relief pitching ERA. So more bats or starting pitching? What is really a concern is that the xFIP for Brewer starters is 4.58, and that's the second worst mark in the NL (just barely behind the Marlins - 4.62). Now maybe Stearns will think Miley and Peralta will fix that down the road, but it's hard for me to think any analytics guy would look at the current number and not be concerned about it.

Don't forget that Nelson should be an improvement as well. I think we should get at least one good starter from Nelson, Peralta, and Burnes.

I would focus on the bats personally.

As I have mentioned before Peralta and Burnes aren’t really realistic options. Both will hit innings limits making them useless come September sometime. If you depend on Jimmy Nelson...good luck.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I still get the feeling that the Brewers will trade for a younger frontline-type starter with several years of control. The current rotation has greatly exceeded expectations, but not to the point where they couldn't use another guy at the front of the rotation. I too had high hopes that Nelson would be back sometime in June, but the lack up any significant updates on his status has me to the point where anything he contributes this year is going to be gravy.

Don't forget that the team is still in the situation where they have a high number of prospects who will need to be added to the 40-man in the offseason, or risk being lost in the Rule 5 Draft. I anticipate several of those guys going in deals before August 1 for a frontline starter, and even afterwards to fill other various roster holes. With how fluid the roster has been so far this season, and the fact that they look to be in contention, the team is definitely going to make trade moves ... probably several.

If you had to trade one to Get Machado, would you trade Burnes or Peralta?

I still look back to the JD Martinez trade to see what the Tigers got - Not a Whole Lot

Still think a Arcia / Ortiz / Ray gets it done

Honestly I have a hard time seeing Freddy Peralta start long term. His control is beyond bad, but as we know the stuff is greatand he is really young. Burnes is probably the safer bet as a starter.

Though if we are going to be a bullpen focused staff Freddy Peralta could be something real nice.

I still look back to the Marlins as a trade partner for the Crew. With the obvious target being Realmuto the Marlins also might dangle Jose Urena who is coming off his best season, is 26 years of age, has increased his K rate, lowered his walk rate and his FIP is 3.88.

Not sure what a package could look like to acquire both Realmuto and Urena but I'm sure it'd be somewhat extensive.

And with Marlins you have Castro to address 2B as well as significant salary you can eat for them in order to reduce the cost in prospects. Personally I don't think his upgrade over Villar is all that drastic and wouldn't be looking to do it, but it is an improvement and might help reduce prospect cost.

If you had to trade one to Get Machado, would you trade Burnes or Peralta?

Burnes. Simply because Peralta's ceiling is higher. If he can work out his control issues, there's your TOR starter we've been talking about for years. Burnes could be a dent starter, but I feel like there are other Burnes in the system. Not to mention cheap guys like Chacin you can find to do the same thing.

That's not a knock on him, I just think it's a relatively easy decision for me Peralta vs Burnes.

In some semblance of need, and assuming certain teams are out of the race in July:

Tyson Ross

Cole Hamels

Jed Lowrie

Jonathon Lucroy

Bullpen arms

The Brewers aren't going to be able to stay in the race with the current make up of their rotation. The peripherals suggest Anderson, Davies and Suter are the three weakest pitchers on the roster. Cole Hamels is a free agent to be, still throws in the mid-90s, is left handed, and has 100 post season innings pitched in his career. He'd be the best target for Milwaukee, but the Brewers are on his no-trade list so it could get complicated.

Tyson Ross is a free agent to be too and is healthy and back to form. His "cost" would be less than Hamels; however, he has thrown only 120+ innings since opening day 2016 and may not have the stamina to pitch into October.

Lowrie another free agent to be, would add a much needed bat to the Brewers lineup. He has some versatility having played 2B, 3B, and SS in the last two seasons. The last few years, Beane has made some incredibly poor trades so maybe a trade to Milwaukee without giving up top tier talent is possible.

I don't think Lucroy is much of a catcher anymore, but Pina's play and the trade for Kratz prove the Brewers have nothing at the position so they could use somebody. Unless another contender has a injury to their catcher, the Brewers could likely acquire Lucroy for minimal talent if they take on the salary.

Bullpen--Swarzak was a killer out of the pen last year and I'm sure every team is always on the look out to add veteran bullpen arms.

And with Marlins you have Castro to address 2B as well as significant salary you can eat for them in order to reduce the cost in prospects. Personally I don't think his upgrade over Villar is all that drastic and wouldn't be looking to do it, but it is an improvement and might help reduce prospect cost.

Castro is having a nice season. Not great, but nice. His contract is $11M next year which is reasonable for his production. Castro is not a negative value player that a team can just take on and 'eat' for lower prospect cost. He has value. Not much, but it's there.

Even if he didn't, the Marlins are not in contract dumping mode anymore, and aren't going to be taking on lower returns in exchange for contract dumps.

1. Cain- CF

2. Yelich- LF/RF

3. Realmuto- C

4. Shaw- 3B

5. Aguilar/Braun- 1B/LF

6. Braun/Santana- LF/RF

7. Villar- 2B

8. Castro- SS

9. Pitcher

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Jed Lowrie is now down to barely over career expectations after a bad month of May and early June.

I'd imagine his cost probably goes back closer to "older veteran rental" if it wasn't already seen as that by most GMs.

Now the question is whether he's worth it as an upgrade over Villar? Probably in the same way that Neil Walker was, but the question can be asked pending what it would cost in trade/salary.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Jed Lowrie is now down to barely over career expectations after a bad month of May and early June.

I'd imagine his cost probably goes back closer to "older veteran rental" if it wasn't already seen as that by most GMs.

Now the question is whether he's worth it as an upgrade over Villar? Probably in the same way that Neil Walker was, but the question can be asked pending what it would cost in trade/salary.

If they want anything more than a Nate Griep type, then nope.

1. Cain- CF

2. Yelich- LF/RF

3. Realmuto- C

4. Shaw- 3B

5. Aguilar/Braun- 1B/LF

6. Braun/Santana- LF/RF

7. Villar- 2B

8. Castro- SS

9. Pitcher

Trading Thames?

Holy hell. How’d I forget that beast? I’ll blame it on moving. Well there ya go. Even more of a stacked lineup.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The Lucroy talk has to end. He is a shell of his former self offensively. That bridge is burned, hard pass on Lucroy coming back to Milwaukee.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The Lucroy talk has to end. He is a shell of his former self offensively. That bridge is burned, hard pass on Lucroy coming back to Milwaukee.

And yet still a better option than Manny Pina.

Archived