Brewer Fanatic

What should be DS targets

here are some ideas:

Bartolo Colon (I can't resist putting the big fella on the list)

Patrick Corbin

JA Happ

Assuming Corbin has a monster season where teams see him as an ace to acquire for the post-season wouldn't Arizona just tag him with a QO for 2019? If so, we would have to trade at least the equivalent of the draft pick to entice AZ, right? Not sure, I want to trade that much in prospects for a two month rental.

I do think if the Brewers add to the starting pitching, it is a guy they think is a #1. Why trade for another #3, when we have a slew of those guys already on the staff.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’d keep my eye on Cole Hamels. I have my doubts he changed overnight to be the most homer happy pitcher in baseball. We will see were he is in two months. His salary could make him a really good value in July.

Chris Archer has greatly rebound lately after his rough start to the year. Probably the most Ace-like guy you will find.

Tyson Ross is also a guy who has been really dominate at times this year.

I’d keep my eye on Cole Hamels. I have my doubts he changed overnight to be the most homer happy pitcher in baseball. We will see were he is in two months. His salary could make him a really good value in July.

Considering he wasn't that good last year (4.20 ERA, 4.62 FIP, K/9 around 6), and his velocity continues to be down, I would say it's entirely possible that he just isn't anything better than average now.

I think Verlander raised expectations for mid 30s veteran starter rentals to unrealistic levels.

Only way I see Stearns doing that is if it's a strict salary dump with nothing of value going back and the Rangers picking up the 6M buyout next year.

Tyson Ross would be a solid rental now that he looks back to what he was a couple of years ago before his injury.

I checked him out as well. Only concern I have with him is his high BB rates.

I’d add significant ground ball rate decline this season vs. pre-surgery, and his ability to make through the season at 45% slider usage. That being said, he is still a good pitcher and would be happy if the Brewers got him without using a top 5 organizational prospect.

I really do like the Bartolo Colon idea as a super cheap pickup to be able to put Suter back where he is best - spot starter and long man. He's seen some things... and done some things... I'm not completely being sarcastic there either. I don't see any pitcher that will be well worth the package it would take as a slam dunk. I think Stearns will find a guy or two he can get cheap and smart that may just push the back end of the roster closer to the middle, thus improving the team overall.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/all-of-the-things-that-have-less-cultural-relevance-than-bartolo-colon/c-277960402

Colon does absolutely nothing for me on this team.

His only advantage over guys like Suter is that he can go longer into games generally with the same caliber of pitching (maybe).

If we're adding a pitcher, it's somebody that gives us marked improvement in innings 1-5 or 6 in the playoffs. The extra innings pitched does not help much with the team we have. We can handle guys like Chacin and Suter going shorter, especially once we get to September.

Colon's BABIP against is also .210. There may be something to generating some weak contact, but his surface numbers are likely going to regress.

His only advantage over guys like Suter is that he can go longer into games generally with the same caliber of pitching (maybe).

If we're adding a pitcher, it's somebody that gives us marked improvement in innings 1-5 or 6 in the playoffs. The extra innings pitched does not help much with the team we have. We can handle guys like Chacin and Suter going shorter, especially once we get to September.

Colon's BABIP against is also .210. There may be something to generating some weak contact, but his surface numbers are likely going to regress.

I dont disagree with that. I rather pay a little for a guy like him however.. than overpay for a Hamels or other guys discussed who will command more and for in - most cases - not give you any more than we currently get.

I dont disagree with that. I rather pay a little for a guy like him however.. than overpay for a Hamels or other guys discussed who will command more and for in - most cases - not give you any more than we currently get.

That's fair...if any move is only $ and the $ isn't huge, I'm fine with it. That said, it seems to not do much. Get an upgrade or just roll with what you have.

Carlos Rodon.

Obvious injury concerns with him coming off of a shoulder surgery but he's one rehab start away from being back in the big leagues. Might also be too early in his years of control for the White Sox to consider dealing him.

Fits the profile of a guy the Brewers would make a move for with his wipe out slider. Change up was coming on very strong last August before the injury. Love to see what Derek Johnson could do with a guy like this.

I wonder what it would take to get Bumgarner. He does have limited no-trade protections to a handful of clubs, which the Brewers could be on.

But he also has a very reasonable $12 million club option for next season.

Way more than we'd be willing to pay, if Bumgarner became available he would be the #1 target on the block and there would be a massive bidding war for him. No indication that the Giants are looking to sell in the mediocre NL West anyway.

It's unlikely the Giants trade Bumgarner because the NL West is bad so they're relatively close and they've stayed relatively close without Bumgarner all year and Cueto most of it while also having a difficult schedule.

I wonder what it would take to get Bumgarner. He does have limited no-trade protections to a handful of clubs, which the Brewers could be on.

But he also has a very reasonable $12 million club option for next season.

Way more than we'd be willing to pay, if Bumgarner became available he would be the #1 target on the block and there would be a massive bidding war for him. No indication that the Giants are looking to sell in the mediocre NL West anyway.

I think there would be an absolute riot in San Francisco if the Giants traded Bumgarner.

Those are the hot take types of thought I really hope Stearns stays away from. It will ruin this process being made.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm as annoyed with Davies as anyone, but here are his career splits:

1st half: .793 OPS against, 1.36 WHIP, 4.56 ERA

2nd half: .676 OPS against, 1.23 WHIP, 3.37 ERA

Its frustrating right now, but if history holds true, we are going to want and need that 2nd half Davies down the stretch. He just isn't good for several months out of the gates for whatever reason.

I’m not a big fan of calling Davies a “slow starter” and giving him a free pass. First off small sample size warning for the whole slow starter thing. He struggled greatly to start last year in April/May...in 2016 he struggled in April (3 starts), but rebounded by May.

Zach Davies needs to be replaced if he is still a garbage pitcher come July. No need to panic because he is just coming back from an injury. We have a whole month plus some to decide if he is acceptable or not. However Zach Davies relies so heavily on his control. If that shoulder injury throws him off even slightly he is quickly subpar.

I'm not giving him a free pass. He needs to perform to stay in the rotation. However he's been successful enough the last few years to at least be given until Nelson returns to start showing some rebound signs. If they're not there by then, go ahead and let him figure it out in AAA.

But the fact does remain that he's been a very good second half pitcher.

If he is still ailing and seems to be rushing his comeback, just DL him for 10 days and go with Woodruff or Peralta for a couple of starts. If he just needs to work out his control, just let him work it out with Johnson. I believe the management will make the right call.

As others' have mentioned, I like:

JA Happ and Lowrie

Put me down for Brad Hand again this year.

This is a pretty well rounded team. The starting pitching I think still leaves a bit to be desired if you're talking about a WS contender but every where else they're really good (right now)

This team has a bit of a feel like the Royals did a couple years back. You're not really sure if they belong but they can beat you in a lot of ways. The starting pitching isn't elite but the bullpen is.

Archived