Brewer Fanatic

2018-05-27: Mets (Wheeler) at Brewers (Chacín) 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 8-7]

Eye Black
29-5 when we score at least three.

23-1 when we score 5, so 1 more should do it! ;)

24-1 when we score 5!!

I had to look it up. Our one loss was a 6 to 5 loss against these same Mets.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nothing wrong with going to Knebel there. If you can’t go to him with a two run lead, when can you?

Brewers win!!!

Agree. Hader not available .....JJ now can pitch tomorrow and Corey is a guy they need.

Managers can't give up on guys just because they have a bad day or 2.. ...that's for fans.

Great win.......

So if Counsell used Corey in the 8th and not went to Jeffress in the 9th, we would all be cool with it?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

So stupid to revert to ridiculous bullpen dogma when you've been so successful bucking it all year long.

they didn’t want to pitch Jeffress two innings

12 pitches. They used an outing anyway so they may as well get some more pitches out of him. It's wasteful and inefficient to have such a short outing. Yeah, they might need to rest him tomorrow, but in the long run you can get more innings out of your best relievers if you reduce their outings and increasing their innings limit. He has 29 pitches since May 21st.

More importantly, Knebel just isn't good right now. Was extremely lucky last year with his poor command, and it's arguably gotten worse. No way he projects to continue to be a closer candidate until his command gets better. Derrick Turnbow says hello (because he's a friendly guy).

Did they actually say Hader wasn't available, or are we just assuming? I get that they'd prefer not to use him today but I don't see otherwise why going 2 innings on Friday with a reasonable pitch count would make him for sure unavailable today.

I had no problem, giving Knebel the 9th. It was the bottom of the order and would make Jeffress available tomorrow if need be. But after the homer and walk it was time to get someone up. Hopefully he is the fourth option until he earns better.

Did they actually say Hader wasn't available, or are we just assuming? I get that they'd prefer not to use him today but I don't see otherwise why going 2 innings on Friday with a reasonable pitch count would make him for sure unavailable today.

CC has been consistent.....when he pitches 2 innings or more (30-40 pitches) he gets 2 days off.

They want him fresh for the whole season. People need to get used to it so they don't need to ask every time he doesn't pitch.

CC has been consistent.....when he pitches 2 innings or more (30-40 pitches) he gets 2 days off.

They want him fresh for the whole season. People need to get used to it so they don't need to ask every time he doesn't pitch.

And it’s smart too. It’s May. It’s a marathon. Keep that guy as fresh as we can.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

He also said that there isn't an exact formula to this stuff. I understand that they'd prefer to get him multiple days off in a row, I don't need to "get used to it." I simply asked if they said on the air that he wasn't available.

I had no problem, giving Knebel the 9th. It was the bottom of the order and would make Jeffress available tomorrow if need be. But after the homer and walk it was time to get someone up. Hopefully he is the fourth option until he earns better.

I'd just kind of prefer for the time being that he be used in earlier situations. Like the 7th earlier instead of Logan, and like Briggs said Albers for the 8th and Jeffress for the 9th would have been fine.

I'm not trying to say he should never close games, it just bothers me that they seem to have gone inflexible on it again.

Just tuning into the fun today. Couple things from my random check ins today:

1. These games are the games the Brewers typically have lost in the past. The bounce back off the mat of this team has been amazing inning to inning this year.

2. Sogard... why why .. still blah. My feelings are known on him.

3. Aguilar... Cain, Yelich... when these 3 are going .. my goodness

4. I wish CC would revert to no specific closer - Knebel showing some rust still but overall this pen is the best pen we’ve ever seen

5. Boone - still don’t see the overall value in him on this team and gave another homer today after I thought he was turning a corner

6. We have little things to work on and solidify ... but we are off to an amazing start and really really really need to win this St Louis series to I believe get this teams confidence up vs the rest the NL Central. Now is the time to put the pedal to the metal cause we know we will slump at some time and the others will get hot. The more distance we can get built here , the better !

Corey gave up one run and there is a massive freakout. He will be fine. I would prefer that they not have a designated closer however.

It's not that he gave up a run. It's that from every outing he had in this series, it was completely predictable. We freak out because he gave up 6 baserunners, 3-4 walks, multiple runs, blew a save, over his last 1 2/3 IP when other pitchers have not had these struggles. Bullpen roles are stupid in general, like you said. But Corey has no business pitching in a high leverage situation on a regular basis.

Corey gave up one run and there is a massive freakout. He will be fine. I would prefer that they not have a designated closer however.

It's not that he gave up a run. It's that from every outing he had in this series, it was completely predictable. We freak out because he gave up 6 baserunners, 3-4 walks, multiple runs, blew a save, over his last 1 2/3 IP when other pitchers have not had these struggles. Bullpen roles are stupid in general, like you said. But Corey has no business pitching in a high leverage situation on a regular basis.

Other than location, his stuff looked just as good as ever. The argument could be made that he should be used in low leverage situations but up 2 runs against the Mets is different than one run or a tie.

Did anybody at the game notice extra heavy security? I do not recall see so many vested and loaded officers at any game ever. I leave though the center-field doors, and encountered a police car with its officer standing by with a kick ass assault style weapon with what appeared to be laser sights and other attachments watching people leave. It was in a down-pointing position, but her finger was poised near the trigger.

Just wonder if it was extra for Memorial Day, or if they were watching for something.

1) Credit where its due, I just saw the Sogard defensive play in the 2nd, and it was not an easy one as well as potentially being a vitally important one in the game. That said. I'm pretty sure Arcia makes the play as well. :)

2) Seeing Zack Wheeler pitch today you wonder how different our team would be right now if Wilmer Flores hadn't cried...

1) Credit where its due, I just saw the Sogard defensive play in the 2nd, and it was not an easy one as well as potentially being a vitally important one in the game. That said. I'm pretty sure Arcia makes the play as well. :)

2) Seeing Zack Wheeler pitch today you wonder how different our team would be right now if Wilmer Flores hadn't cried...

Wheeler showed great speed, but he did not seem to have a reliable 2nd pitch today.

They escape. But set closers are still dumb.

I know, right? Roenicke, er, Counsell needs to adapt.

I don't get the crap Counsell is getting over this or the comparisons to Roenicke (or Yost that I've seen as well).

He's been pretty willing to shake up his bullpen usage and has treated Hader as a bullpen ace, bringing him in as early as the 4th inning this year or having him go multiple innings to face the opponents best hitters. He's been pretty quick to pull the plug on our starters and go to the bullpen when they get into trouble the 3rd time thru the order as well (to the point where people are complaining about that too).

Yes, he went back to using a set closer in the 9th and I don't totally agree with it, but that is something that pretty much all managers do so I can't really get hung up on it.

Reading thru the game threads (and a fair amount of other threads) most days, you would think the Brewers were 14 games under .500 instead of 14 over, and currently in 1st, based on the constant negativity from some. I understand the IGT's are largely reactionary but you think there would be a little more leeway based on how the team is doing overall. It seems as if some people are expecting perfection from the players and Counsell every game. There are gonna be moves that backfire and players that make mistakes or have bad games, but that happens to every team, every year and is not the end of the world (even if we missed the playoffs by one game last year).

I was at the game today..

Brutally hot...unbearable

I was in section 109. I sat there for 5 innings, seeing only half of the game

due to to an endless supply of people going up and down the aisles.

Then i went over to TGIF's for chicken tenders, loaded potatoe skins and a pepsi for $30. wow

it was a great game but i am exhausted...lol

Archived