Brewer Fanatic

Sogard and Houser Up, Arcia and Lopez to AAA

JDBrewCrew

I am not sure what your meaning is, unless you are saying Villar gets more criticism because he is Latino. In that case, we agree to to a point.

However, my original post was not heavily sarcastic, just a mild tweet in there.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the root of the negativity this year .. has been the fact we have had guys deserving of a chance over guys like Drake, Bandy, Sogard , etc and we are frustrated beyond belief that Sogard gets 9 lives over a guy like Orf... and Franklin... what the heck is he even doing around still ... lol. Drake was rightfully jettisoned eventually but there were better arms at AAA even before that, and finally we rid ourselves of Bandy for Bentsncourt or Nottingham right? No , sorry , Some journeyman catcher who has a hard time OPSing Aguilar’s weight.

Negativity and sarcasm are just our way of coping with strange decisions that at the end of the day probably don’t make a difference between a loss or win at the back end of the roster but as we have seen CC uses the back end of the roster more than most teams (even NL teams), and much more than he should. It’s like we need to take the sharp objects away from him so he doesn’t cut himself lol.

I think the root of the negativity this year .. has been the fact we have had guys deserving of a chance over guys like Drake, Bandy, Sogard , etc and we are frustrated beyond belief that Sogard gets 9 lives over a guy like Orf... and Franklin... what the heck is he even doing around still ... lol. Drake was rightfully jettisoned eventually but there were better arms at AAA even before that, and finally we rid ourselves of Bandy for Bentsncourt or Nottingham right? No , sorry , Some journeyman catcher who has a hard time OPSing Aguilar’s weight.

Negativity and sarcasm are just our way of coping with strange decisions that at the end of the day probably don’t make a difference between a loss or win at the back end of the roster but as we have seen CC uses the back end of the roster more than most teams (even NL teams), and much more than he should. It’s like we need to take the sharp objects away from him so he doesn’t cut himself lol.

Yes you make a good point. Yet I think Stearns knows more about his minor league systems than us and would rather keep some guys there to get daily playing time. Your last 2-3 major league roster guys are probably never better than some of the top minor league guys, they are place fillers until guys are ready.

You can see that, perhaps in what was thought by many the early Arcia call up. Yes, he got daily at bats, but was just not ready for the show.

I do not know what you base your statement that CC plays his back end more than others, but if you have data on that, it would be interesting.

Thank you

but as we have seen CC uses the back end of the roster more than most teams (even NL teams), and much more than he should. It’s like we need to take the sharp objects away from him so he doesn’t cut himself lol.

Playing the same guys every day no matter what is a good way to wear them out. Hardly playing bench guys makes them useless when needed. The Brewers have the best record in the NL while not wearing out their key players in the process. I would be much more concerned about the team if the Brewers had overused their starters to get to this point. This approach seems more sustainable over the whole season. Frankly I give Counsell a lot of credit for doing it this way.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Aside from one guy who said they would take Sogard over Villar and pretty much everyone disagreed with him, does anyone really trash Villar anymore?

Winning run last night?

Do you really think that anyone is going to change their opinion and want Sogard starting over Villar based on one single AB?

Not trying to change opinions.... just giving another reason why I feel mine is correct.

I prefer Sogard as a veteran bat/glove off the bench. He usually gives a better at bat, a more patient approach, a better defender, a smarter base runner, and more of a contact hitter as a pinch hitter than Villar. As a role player, Sogard plays the role better IMO. On a team filled with K's, he has k'd at a much lower rate over the last season and a half. He also got on base better than almost anyone on the team last season, something a HR driven team looks for. Sogard hasn't played well this season granted, and others deserved- and got- a shot to play over him. If he continues to struggle late into the season, he should and will be replaced.

Villar, on the other hand, played badly with the club an entire season in 2017, mainly in the leadoff spot. Hypocritical Villar whiners should be grateful that CC gives extra chances to guys with MLB experience because without it Villar wouldn't even be on this team in 2018.

I love this forum because I can talk (and read) about something enjoyable without the world’s sewage infiltrating it.

You guys are really ruining the enjoyment right now.

This x 1000

This is no place for that crap...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I apologize to you both. I am done debating that stuff on here. We all know it happens but you’re right, all it does is bring a negativity to the boards that is not needed. Mods go ahead and delete or whatever you want to do.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I love this forum because I can talk (and read) about something enjoyable without the world’s sewage infiltrating it.

I drank a good amount amount tonight & after reading those above.... this is absolutely perfect!

Sogard is a good bench bat.... that is about it. Villar who has played well this season simply has more god given baseball talent. On their best day, Villar is head and shoulders above Sogard. Segura had an awful 1 1/2 for us after looking like a star. We gave up on him & traded him & now he is a Star player in this league. Villar looked unreal to start his career here. Struggled from July to end of season that year. Was pretty awful until September but since.... he has been a good ball player. Not, wow he is an all-start good again but a good fit in our line up. He just had that talent that he can be as good as anyone in baseball at his position when he is on. Sogard does not. I’m glad DS & CC stuck it out with him

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I drank a good amount amount tonight & after reading those above.... this is absolutely perfect!

Sogard is a good bench bat.... that is about it. Villar who has played well this season simply has more god given baseball talent. On their best day, Villar is head and shoulders above Sogard. Segura had an awful 1 1/2 for us after looking like a star. We gave up on him & traded him & now he is a Star player in this league. Villar looked unreal to start his career here. Struggled from July to end of season that year. Was pretty awful until September but since.... he has been a good ball player. Not, wow he is an all-start good again but a good fit in our line up. He just had that talent that he can be as good as anyone in baseball at his position when he is on. Sogard does not. I’m glad DS & CC stuck it out with him

Sorry, but Villar still stinks. He has a 677 OPS despite a high BABIP. I doubt he can continue to roll the ball through the infield at this rate all season. He'll need to be replaced at the trade deadline.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Jonathan Villar is a high BAbip player. No, he can never sustain a high BAbip. That being said he will have many months where he will sport a high BAbip because that’s the kind of player he is.

-Last 4 months he has averaged over a .400 BAbip

-He has eclipsed a .375 BAbip in 8 months since we acquired him

-That means 8/14 (57%) of the time he has carried a ridiculous BAbip...more often than not.

Yes, he is going through one of those high BAbip times and isn’t really lighting the world on fire. He has also looked much better as of late. It’s too early to know how useful Villar will be this year. Discounting him because of a high BAbip isn’t really accurate though. He could carry that almost all year. He has been doing so for 4-5 straight months now.

BABIP is much more relevant for pitchers than for hitters.

High K guys tend to have high BABIP. Lewis Brinson had ridiculously high BABIP throughout the minors, not just in Colorado Springs.

3-0 since Sogard's return... he just wills the team to win...

Veteran grit. For MrTPlush.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

First rule of hiking in the wilderness: Bring along someone slower than you...

First rule of MLB roster construction: Have the 25th player be so bad that the rest of the team is relaxed knowing someone else will lose their job first...

Houser should’ve stayed and Boone should’ve left.

Arcia 0-3 with 2 Ks so far.

Archived