Brewer Fanatic

Sogard and Houser Up, Arcia and Lopez to AAA

JDBrewCrew
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I am laughing at those who say Sogard won't be playing...

CC has proven time and time again that he can't resist playing the guy.

If he doesn't start games, you can bet he pinch hits in key situations that he has no business pinch hitting in.

Say what you want, but I will believe he won't play when I see it.

He'll play. Everyone on that roster plays pretty regularly. Teams don't have position players warming the bench at the MLB level anymore.

I just hope that he's on his last chance. Give him a couple weeks of sporadic playing time, and if he is still scuffling in mid June, time to cut bait and maybe give someone like Dylan Moore a shot. I just don't want to see Andres Blanco.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't like this one bit. I hate seeing Sogard back and i'm worried that any small improvement in offensive production will be more than offset by the decrease in defensive production.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

UGH just I've had enough of the Franklin's and the Sogard's of the world! Saladino was a welcome addition, Stearns is good like Melvin was at finding that guy who needs a change of scenery and then ride them til they go back to normal career levels.... sign up JJ Hardy bring him home cheap to make a championship run with us as a bench player... IDK.

I hadn't thought of this but yes...I would rather have JJ than Sogard and JJ has been awful on O since 2014.

Right now, it makes sense for Saladino to play every day at SS. Arcia has too much potential to burn up his service time sitting on the bench while Saladino starts, so sending him to the minors where he can start everyday is probably the smart move.

Sogard should be a rarely-used but versatile "25th man," behind Saladino, Villar, and Perez on the depth chart. If that's the case, and he only gets an occasional start at SS, then the difference between him and the random guy we could pick up would be negligible. Since we're on the hook to pay Sogard anyhow, then I have no problem just rolling with him.

Either way, I hope this is the kick in the butt Arcia needs to get him back on track. The names I listed above are all roster-filler. Arcia has a shot at being good.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Right now, it makes sense for Saladino to play every day at SS. Arcia has too much potential to burn up his service time sitting on the bench while Saladino starts, so sending him to the minors where he can start everyday is probably the smart move.

Sogard should be a rarely-used but versatile "25th man," behind Saladino, Villar, and Perez on the depth chart. If that's the case, and he only gets an occasional start at SS, then the difference between him and the random guy we could pick up would be negligible. Since we're on the hook to pay Sogard anyhow, then I have no problem just rolling with him.

Either way, I hope this is the kick in the butt Arcia needs to get him back on track. The names I listed above are all roster-filler. Arcia has a shot at being good.

I could live with sending Arcia down to work on things if we had a viable alternative like Dubon up to try instead. Not really convinced that Saladino is a viable alternative. Sogard obviously isn't.

I guess it's fine if he (Saladino) puts up his 2016 numbers, but I remain unconvinced like others that Sogard will be "rarely used" and any AB he gets is a wasted one.

I could live with sending Arcia down to work on things if we had a viable alternative like Dubon up to try instead. Not really convinced that Saladino is a viable alternative. Sogard obviously isn't.

I guess it's fine if he (Saladino) puts up his 2016 numbers, but I remain unconvinced like others that Sogard will be "rarely used" and any AB he gets is a wasted one.

I find this annoying too, and Sogard is about as "meh" as a player gets, but I think "any AB is a wasted one" is hyperbolic. Sogard can at least walk. He sees pitches. He has a decent approach.

As long as he is getting one start a week MAX, this is fine, especially if Villar and Saladino keep hitting. It is a move teams just jave to make every so often. The Cubs did it with Schwarber last year. Let Orlando get it figured, and hopefully it is a few weeks and he is back.

I really wish Sogard had just refused his first demotion and went home. Remember, as a 5+ year vet he had to agree to his demotion. He could have just gone home and still got paid....

Someone correct me if I am wrong. But isn't it like this for Sogard?

Once cleared waivers, he could have refused the assignment because he had the service time, but since he had an option remaining, if he refused the assignment to the minors he wouldn't have gotten paid.

Go get Hanley Ramirez Stearns. He's a great SS option I think it's quite obvious moving Arcia is in the best interest of both the Brewers and Arcia. He needs to clear his mind and figure things out in the minors. With having Salidino, Perez, and maybe Villar capable of playing SS, I hope the Sogard is relegated riding the pine or pinch hitting in the 6th or 7th.

Love the Houser call up. I believe, if everyone is healthy, this is the best bullpen options that the Brewers can field. Truly an embarrassment of riches.

It will be a bit annoying if Sogard plays a lot, but theoretically he should play very little. Villar should start most days at 2b and Perez shoudl get the other starts. Sogard should only be the primary backup at SS, which is probably 1-2 starts a week with Saladino getting the others. If that's the case, this move shouldn't be too bad.

I would be willing to bet that CC starts him at least half the games for two weeks. He has the excuse that Sogard is a lefty and he wants to load up the lineup against RHPs. :angry

Play Saladino until all the lightning has left the bottle.

I like getting Arcia at bats where he isn't hurting the MLB club. He's managed to be brutal enough that it eclipses his defense. The other half of that would be canning Coles, but I'm not holding out hope.

Bringing Sogard back is unfortunate. Something will have to give there - a middle infield of Saladino, Villar, Perez, and Sogard is just sad. Especially once Saladino's hot streak ends.

To you people complaining about Sogard coming back, what would be the alternative? Sogard clearly isn't ideal, but he's the best option for the role we need. As much as I'd love to see Orf, he isn't a good SS.

They already have the alternative - Saladino the starter at SS, Perez the backup, Villar the emergency. Orf could be the emergency too. (Note the key word there - emergency.)

I'm fine with this if it is just so Arcia can right himself in AAA while Saladino takes the SS starts. At this point having Sogard PH for a pitcher in the 6th or 7th is better than Arcia doing it. I hope Sterns said to CC: "I'm bringing up Sogard so that he can be a backup/PH type player, not a s a platoon player".

Don't like this one bit. I hate seeing Sogard back and i'm worried that any small improvement in offensive production will be more than offset by the decrease in defensive production.

Agreed. The Brewers have played a lot of tight games and haven't had a very productive offense. I'd rather have Arcia's glove on the field. Not that I'm not concerned about his bat but, I think the importance of his defense on this team is being understated a bit.

From the Brewer's perspective I can see why they made the move. Saladino is hitting well and can play the position. At least the Brewers depth at SS is actually capable of playing the position.

Verified Member
Arcia needs to put the work in and come back a better hitter. Saladino deserves the position. Sogard should be on a short leash. Bye to Bandy. He just isn't a major league catcher or hitter

Agreed. The Brewers have played a lot of tight games and haven't had a very productive offense. I'd rather have Arcia's glove on the field. Not that I'm not concerned about his bat but, I think the importance of his defense on this team is being understated a bit.

Maybe they are playing tight games and haven't had a productive offense because their starting SS has an OBP of .233 and SLG of .273. This move needed to be done, even if it is for two weeks. Saladino has been the better player so far, so he deserves the bulk of the playing time at the moment.

I don't like the Arcia for Sogard move one bit. This team has thrived on pitching and defense, yet they send down their best defensive player at the most important position.

I think it's unnecessary. Sogard offers the same poor offense with less upside, and worse defense. If they think it's absolutely necessary to send Arcia down then bring Orf up. You have Saladino for SS, Perez to back him up. Villar or Orf can play SS in an emergency situation.

I don't want to hear the 40 man excuse, either. Sogard has no business being on the 40 man anyways. Can't wait for a couple Sogard starts this weekend!

To you people complaining about Sogard coming back, what would be the alternative? Sogard clearly isn't ideal, but he's the best option for the role we need. As much as I'd love to see Orf, he isn't a good SS.

I literally would have preferred to play with a 24 man roster than have sogard again.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Sogard isn't a good shortstop. His noodle arm barely makes the throws. This guy flat out sucks and this move flat out sucks.

I bet Villar shed a tear today knowing that no matter what he does now, he will lose starts to this clown.

Again, what would be your alternative? Sogard is consistent at SS, his arm is below average for the spot...but he makes the routine plays and has decent range.

All this boo Sogard, but if you can't mention a viable alternative it just sounds like whining.

Oh I am 100% whining and I know it... lol.

If they are getting a backup catcher for a few $$, cant we find a fresh middle infielder the same manner?

Give Orf a shot and Saladino a chance to play every day. Villar may be a better SS than Sogard.... Perez a better 2b man than Sogard... (ok ok that sentence may be a stretch.)

UGH just I've had enough of the Franklin's and the Sogard's of the world! Saladino was a welcome addition, Stearns is good like Melvin was at finding that guy who needs a change of scenery and then ride them til they go back to normal career levels.... sign up JJ Hardy bring him home cheap to make a championship run with us as a bench player... IDK. I just have such high hopes I want to see some exciting moves, not ones that make me throw up in my mouth.

Rant over. I'm done whining now. lol. I now realize this is the back end of the team and , no, doesn't mean much - as long as CC knows that and sits him deep on the bench where he belongs... but I don't trust him to do that... :(

Saladino is one of the Franklin's and Sogard's of the world. A small stretch of good hitting doesn't change that. I think what they're doing is riding what they have until they find something better. Arcia needed to be sent down for his own sake. He can't play regularly the way he's going and he shouldn't be sitting on the bench. With Sogard it doesn't really matter.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Wish we kept Scooter. Lol.

We'd need the Reds hitting coach, too. He's the one who helped Scooter change a few things with his swing & approach at the plate.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived