Brewer Fanatic

Royals Preparing to Move Assets

Because we have a legitimate chance to win a division and we could upgrade one of our weakest positions with a very solid player.

Yes, but he's a marginal upgrade. Perez has a career .270/.301/.444 batting line, that's good not great even considering his plus defense.

That's pretty good for playing in KC. I'd wager his OPS as a Brewer would regularly be about 100-150 points higher than Pina's over the next 3 years, if Pina even lasts that long.

• 1 month later...
Duffy has been nothing short of brilliant in 7 of his last 10 starts.

Time to revisit a Duffy/Merrifield deal?

Sounds like Duffy would fit right in. Lay an egg 30% of the time seems in line with our guys. No interest in Merrifield at all.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Time to revisit a Duffy/Merrifield deal? Add Perez as a buy-low guy?

I would love a Duffy/Merrifield/Perez deal. It would cost a HAUL. But it fills needs left and right.

Sounds like Duffy would fit right in. Lay an egg 30% of the time seems in line with our guys. No interest in Merrifield at all.

Kershaw lays eggs. Duffy, when he's right, and he has been lately more often than not, performs like an ace, and that's exactly what gets you through short series. How many guys go through 6 innings against Houston's lineup unscathed? Duffy did just that in June. He's also on a reasonable deal through 2021. Merrifield is an above average player at a position the Brewers are below average, and it'll take Hiura as a centerpiece to get a haul.

I don't get the love for Perez. His OBP is horrendous -- .259. That's 35 points below Pina. I guess maybe if you think you're buying low and he'll improve, but he he has been awful, and he's never been a good on base guy.

I don't get the love for Perez. His OBP is horrendous -- .259. That's 35 points below Pina. I guess maybe if you think you're buying low and he'll improve, but he he has been awful, and he's never been a good on base guy.

What catchers are good on base guys? They bat down in the order. Perez has power, and is a 4 time Gold Glover and 6 time All Star.

Kershaw lays eggs. Duffy, when he's right, and he has been lately more often than not, performs like an ace, and that's exactly what gets you through short series. How many guys go through 6 innings against Houston's lineup unscathed? Duffy did just that in June. He's also on a reasonable deal through 2021. Merrifield is an above average player at a position the Brewers are below average, and it'll take Hiura as a centerpiece to get a haul.

I'd listen on Duffy but a good stretch doesn't cancel out the bad, especially for Hiura. I have zero interest in Merrifield (or Perez for that matter).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'd listen on Duffy but a good stretch doesn't cancel out the bad, especially for Hiura. I have zero interest in Merrifield (or Perez for that matter).

You may not have interest in Merrifield, but the Brewers have in the past, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they still do. He does seem to check a lot of the boxes that are missing from the current lineup. I too worry about the cost, though, as he doesn't exactly have a proven track record.

Perez is a good catcher and seems like a great leader and locker room guy. Looking at his numbers, though, I think we already have the poor man's version of Perez in Pina. Plus, I really want to see what Nottingham can do in an extended look.

Honestly, Perez looks a lot more like an, "old catcher" than an All-Star, if he comes here, there needs to be significant money coming with him.

Merrifield makes some sense, but he's not a guy I would, "go big" to deal for.

Duffy has been all over the place, with some off-field stuff to boot - he's talented, but be careful.

What catchers are good on base guys?

These ones. There are 32 (!) catchers who have at least 150 PAs this year, who have a better OBP than Perez. 23 of them have managed an OBP of .300 or higher. 14 of them .330 or higher.

Including the one we already have.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Honestly, Perez looks a lot more like an, "old catcher" than an All-Star, if he comes here, there needs to be significant money coming with him.

Duffy has been all over the place, with some off-field stuff to boot - he's talented, but be careful.

I know catching can be tough on the body, but Salvador Perez just turned 28!

Sure, but his OBP just turned .259 .... he's a home run, low OBP guy, and now he's not even slugging .400 - I'm absolutely not buying without a significant paydown.

Sure, but his OBP just turned .259 .... he's a home run, low OBP guy, and now he's not even slugging .400 - I'm absolutely not buying without a significant paydown.

Hey, Perez is worth checking on at this point as his value is down. He had a terrible month of June but he slugged .441 in April, .482 in May, and .491 so far in July. He's averaged 23 HR in the past 3 seasons and he's on pace for that or more this year.

As for Duffy, I still think he'd be the ace on this Brewer staff, is under fairly reasonable control through 2021, and is still under 30. He's got 8 straight starts of at least 6 innings, with 6 of those 8 allowing one run or less. In that time, he ERA has gone from 5.81 to 4.40.

I understand the ability to play multiple spots are appealing to some but their enough of those guys on this team . I am not trading young controllable arms to get him. I also not trading Hiura for him since he almost be 30 years old.

Archived