Yelich

Braun

Aguilar

Perez

Pina

Saladino

Arcia

Davies

Shaw, Santana and Villar get breathers. Braun back in the #3 hole. Hopefully he comes back and lights it up starting tonight. I still believe he has the hitting talent to carry this offense for stretches. I kinda like this lineup and having some boppers on the bench if needed.

Edit: Yikes? Really? Shaw and Villar aren't great against LHP, so it makes perfect sense. Only change I would have made would be to sit Yelich for Santana.

Sure, yikes. *shrug* I'm looking at 5 thru 9. Doesn't seem great to me. I understand what CC is doing but that's still not... inspirational. But hopefully the bottom of the order stays hot. That's all.

Edit: Honestly, it's not even the 5 thru 9. Arcia is Arcia, he's gotta play and this is definitely a game you put him in there. It's the 5, seeing Perez hitting 5th bothers me. I don't even know how you fix it. Could move Saladino there instead the way he's been hitting but I kinda like him where he is, maybe if they swapped Pina and Perez. But does it matter that much? Probably not.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why people are assuming Braun won't be the odd man out.

Because up until this point, there has been no indication that he will be. Maybe that will change but as of right now, it is pure speculation that he will sit for others to play.

It will all be decided on the field though. Either Braun will start to hit or he won't and then he probably will see a reduced role. Same with Aguilar. Either he will continue to hit, or he won't, and then he will see a reduced role. As with Thames when he returns. Let's not pretend like he's some sort of a given to produce. We've seen his dry spells a year ago and there was a reason he had to jettison to Korea in the first place. These things will play themselves out and the Brewers will hopefully be in a better place for it as they have plenty of guys who can/should perform.

As well it should be speculated. Things do change. Recent history matters. Braun is 34 and very broken down and has not been very good for a solid year now. I put a lot more weight on that, recent history, than say, Thames going to Korea in 2012. I think it's quite clear Thames is a very different player now compared to then.

Aguilar is a little tougher because he's got a very nice recent history but a very long history of being a journeyman. So it all has to be taken into account, but the bigger his sample size, the better for him.

Personally, I have no problem with Braun starting vs. Lefties. His numbers still justify that. I'm not crazy about him still batting 3rd, but I don't see a lot of much better options in the lineup tonight.

Against RHP, it gets trickier. I think we can all mostly agree that Cain, Yelich, and Shaw should start daily against anyone. I think Thames should always play against RHP, and Braun always against LHP. But Aguilar needs to play too against LHP. So against LHP, I'd generally sit Santana who doesn't have splits that demand he play against lefties.

But yeah, against RHP, I don't see how Braun should start often. Thames needs to get those starts. So it comes down to Braun vs. Santana -- I'll take the younger player. But yes I should hope it will be decided on the field, and if Braun proves himself as the better option, I'm good with it, just don't want decisions made based on contracts.

Archived