Brewer Fanatic

2018-05-23: Diamondbacks (Godley) at Brewers (Suter) 12:40 PM CDT [Brewers win, 9-2]

I really do not like Suter as an SP. If he was our long relief guy or spot starter I'd be OK with it, but I do not like him as a starter at all. The "he just got them out!" wears me down. I don't want 5-ERA guys in our rotation. There is no reason for it when our starters usually go 5 innings.

Suter is at 4.02 ERA as a starter when combining 2017 and 2018.

Edit: Exactly 4.00 ERA now that the book is closed today.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Line-up today is horrible. Suter is horrible. Chalk this one up as an automatic loss.

Sincerely,

Everyone on the first page of IGT

I'm glad I forgot the game was on and tuned in for the bottom of the 4th.

I do wish the bases would stop attacking our pitchers.

Not to be a downer...

Why do you take Suter out mid inning in an 8-2 game with only 1 on? Isn't that micro managing a touch? Someone posted a while back that CC is managing the pitching like it's game 7 of a playoff series every day.... which is a very good thing really. But 8-2? Just let him finish the inning.

Back to positives.... Been a great game so far, bring out the brooms.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Not to be a downer...

Why do you take Suter out mid inning in an 8-2 game with only 1 on? Isn't that micro managing a touch? Someone posted a while back that CC is managing the pitching like it's game 7 of a playoff series every day.... which is a very good thing really. But 8-2? Just let him finish the inning.

I'm guessing the move was based on matchups. I think one of the changes that the team has made this year is to not have relievers warm up and sit back down ... so it's pretty much assured that if a pitcher gets up and starts warming, he is coming in, and likely with a specific hitter in mind to face. While that philosophy does lead to some shorter starts, it's working, so I'm not going to question it too awfully hard.

Not to be a downer...

I'm guessing the move was based on matchups. I think one of the changes that the team has made this year is to not have relievers warm up and sit back down ... so it's pretty much assured that if a pitcher gets up and starts warming, he is coming in, and likely with a specific hitter in mind to face. While that philosophy does lead to some shorter starts, it's working, so I'm not going to question it too awfully hard.

I agree that it's worked. Just seemed really odd given the size of the lead.

I really do not like Suter as an SP. If he was our long relief guy or spot starter I'd be OK with it, but I do not like him as a starter at all. The "he just got them out!" wears me down. I don't want 5-ERA guys in our rotation. There is no reason for it when our starters usually go 5 innings.

A little cherry picking leaving out 2016. However, I still think it is reasonable to say that I would rather have him as a reliever, his ERA is under 2 when relieving. With the game changing I guess it doesn't matter that much if he never goes beyond 5 innings but I'm sure hoping a Burnes/Peralta/Woodruff steps up and replaces him in the rotation this year or next.

This would be a great time to let Logan throw 30-35 pitches over 1-2 innings and hopefully work through command issues. He's getting too much hate, he still shows good stuff...struggling with location. I suspect we'll see a combination of Logan/Williams/Lopez today.

I forgot that he was still up....

Looked ahead to the Mets series. Four game set and we miss DeGrom who throws today, so that worked out well. The only Mets starter who really is an imposing figure is Syndegaard.

Who's pitching for us against him?

Guerra

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Its weird to me that Suter is a good reliever because in his starts everything he gives up is usually in the first 2 innings this year.

Perhaps it's because he is coming in and immediately throwing different stuff than what hitters are used to from the team's other pitchers?

Come on KC... pull that one out for us will ya!?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Saladino with the thump in the bat.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

A little cherry picking leaving out 2016. However, I still think it is reasonable to say that I would rather have him as a reliever, his ERA is under 2 when relieving. With the game changing I guess it doesn't matter that much if he never goes beyond 5 innings but I'm sure hoping a Burnes/Peralta/Woodruff steps up and replaces him in the rotation this year or next.

I guess I would say, that using his rookie month+ of work from 2016 would be cherry picking stats. But each to their own.

Archived