Brewer Fanatic

2018-05-23: Diamondbacks (Godley) at Brewers (Suter) 12:40 PM CDT [Brewers win, 9-2]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

[pre]Diamondbacks Lineup Brewers Lineup

1. David Peralta (L) LF 1. Hernán Pérez ® LF

2. Nick Ahmed ® SS 2. Christian Yelich (L) CF

3. Chris Owings ® CF 3. Jesús Aguilar ® 1B

4. Paul Goldschmidt ® 1B 4. Travis Shaw (L) 3B

5. Ketel Marte (S) 2B 5. Domingo Santana ® RF

6. John Ryan Murphy ® C 6. Jonathan Villar (S) 2B

7. Socrates Brito (L) RF 7. Tyler Saladino ® SS

8. Deven Marrero ® 3B 8. Jett Bandy ® C

9. Zack Godley ® P 9. Brent Suter (L) P[/pre]

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The lineup came across my screen and my first reaction is that I don't even want to watch today, knowing that I 100% will.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Well, Yelich led off last night, and the results were ... not super. I'm totally ok with Cain getting a breather, but it really doesn't leave much left for lead-off options. Villar has been better lately, so I guess they could throw him up there. I've seen Santana suggested, but maybe they are trying to leave him in generally the same area of the lineup in the hopes he continues to get it going.

And Bandy should be starting once a week at most.

Well, Yelich led off last night, and the results were ... not super. I'm totally ok with Cain getting a breather, but it really doesn't leave much left for lead-off options. Villar has been better lately, so I guess they could throw him up there. I've seen Santana suggested, but maybe they are trying to leave him in generally the same area of the lineup in the hopes he continues to get it going.

And Bandy should be starting once a week at Colorado Springs at most.

I fixed the statement for you... :)

Also what would the harm be in letting Villar lead off today, much better lead off candidate than Perez, no?

I guess the only thing I can say is that Perez is 11 for his last 28 (.393) at the plate?

Neither he nor Villar draw walks .. so maybe the thought is Villar is hitting well near the bottom so lets keep him where he has been successful?

I do agree that it puzzled me at first glance too..

The lineup came across my screen and my first reaction is that I don't even want to watch today, knowing that I 100% will.

Im not a prophet but we lost today. We dont have any days off this week so he gave aguliar a scheduled day off yesterday and gave 3 starters the day off today.

Not sure why our starters, if healthy, only play 160 games or less when other teams have their starters in for longer.

But i disagree with others about throwing a game, we arent throwing any games. Many player contracts in the mlb have participation clauses and attendance clauses, maybe management doesnt want to hit those bonus clauses?

At any rate, bandy has to play. He is awful but we have zero depth there so it is what it is. We have to pick up a "solid" known starting pitcher by august (like astros did last year and won a world series).

Did they change the start time? I could have sworn it was 1210.

I actually don't mind our 2-7, and hey red hot Brent Suter gets to swing it again. Perez has to play somewhere, I guess. I think I would hit JV leadoff too, but maybe they want Hernan up with the bases empty, haha.

No Lamb today for the DBacks, so maybe it evens out. I don't feel all that optimistic against a guy who really seemed to shut us down last year, but it's about time we swept someone other than the dregs of the NL. How great would it be to go 5-1 against the Dbacks?

Go Crew!

Perez, barf. Why not put Choi in LF and hit leadoff? Not a traditional choice either but certainly less dumb.

Because Choi is shaped like a pear, and you already downgraded your defense in CF going from Cain to Yelich?

It's going to be funny when Perez goes 4-5 today with a couple steals LOL

My guess, CC didn't want to mess with 4 5 6. Villar has a good mentality at the plate and he's producing...maybe he doesn't want to mess with that. I think Villar is far and away the logical choice to leadoff since clearly CC wants Yelich hitting 2nd. Saladino is preferred leading off to Perez. Aaaaaand, I just noticed Bandy is starting today. 0-4 with 3ks and a GIDP...my early call.

Im not a prophet but we lost today. We dont have any days off this week so he gave aguliar a scheduled day off yesterday and gave 3 starters the day off today.

Not sure why our starters, if healthy, only play 160 games or less when other teams have their starters in for longer.

But i disagree with others about throwing a game, we arent throwing any games. Many player contracts in the mlb have participation clauses and attendance clauses, maybe management doesnt want to hit those bonus clauses?

At any rate, bandy has to play. He is awful but we have zero depth there so it is what it is. We have to pick up a "solid" known starting pitcher by august (like astros did last year and won a world series).

I smiled at this. You asked a question then answered it immediately after.

Perez, barf. Why not put Choi in LF and hit leadoff? Not a traditional choice either but certainly less dumb.

Because Choi is shaped like an upside down pear, and you already downgraded your defense in CF going from Cain to Yelich?

It's going to be funny when Perez goes 4-5 today with a couple steals LOL

Fixed it!

Probably just adjusting the lineup so Braun can lead off tomorrow.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think Villar or Saladino would have been more logical leadoff choices, but it is what it is. People can complain about Bandy starting, but your back up catcher is going to catch the day game series finally. I feel good about Sunday Line Up Day!

Nothing like Perez leading off to push the IGT to a second page before first pitch!

Thinking today might be a Suter/Woodruff tandem day? Wouldn't be surprised to see 3-5 max from Suter, then try to get 2-3 from Woody.

Suter just went 5 2/3 with 1 ER his last time out. I'm sure Woodruff would probably get the call if Suter is knocked around early, but I doubt that a straight piggyback is part of the plan.

Nothing like Perez leading off to push the IGT to a second page before first pitch!

Thinking today might be a Suter/Woodruff tandem day? Wouldn't be surprised to see 3-5 max from Suter, then try to get 2-3 from Woody.

Suter just went 5 2/3 with 1 ER his last time out. I'm sure Woodruff would probably get the call if Suter is knocked around early, but I doubt that a straight piggyback is part of the plan.

Makes sense. Just seems like the team is very aggressive about SP the third time through the order. Depending on how confident they are in Woody, today seems like an opportunity to really go all out on that strategy, especially with Albers, Knebel, and Hader probably down. Maybe Woody just becomes the first option out of the pen, as you say.

Archived