Brewer Fanatic

2018-05-22: Diamondbacks (Koch) at Brewers (Chacín) 6:40 PM CDT [Brewers win, 1-0]

Eye Black
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really disappoint in Counsell. He had a situation where he needed to go ballistic and all he could muster were some feverous arm swings. Pina did more to get tossed than Craig did.

To be fair, looks like he did get on his phone and immediately edited Hernandez' Wikipedia page after his ejection.

Really disappoint in Counsell. He had a situation where he needed to go ballistic and all he could muster were some feverous arm swings.

Or, he did just enough to keep Knebel in the game and inspire the team on the field, while not going so far as to make it unlikely to get a fair shake the rest of the inning nor distract the team with an over-the-top reaction.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Community Moderator
The thing is he had a mile wide strike zone all night. Anything close on the edges was called up until Hader's 8th. Then in the 9th, nothing.

Had he been tight on the corners the entire night it probably would have not been that big of a thing.

Completely agree with this. He changed the zone in the last two innings of a one run game.

Regarding his complaint about being passed over for postseason/World Series assignments, I can’t even imagine how infuriating it would be to watch tonight’s sequence of calls happen in the last two innings of an important playoff game.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Really disappoint in Counsell. He had a situation where he needed to go ballistic and all he could muster were some feverous arm swings. Pina did more to get tossed than Craig did.

I had the exact opposite take. Knebel walked in towards the plate and the umpire left his box to confront him. Counsell saw this and immediately sprinted out yelling "Hey Hey Hey Hey!" to get the umps attention. I don't know that Knebel gets tossed there, but Craig made sure he didn't.

It was a great managerial move. People are motivated by different things. Counsell keeping his closer in the game by taking a bullet for him (or at least the obvious effort to do so) is enough to light a fire under many.

"The manager needs to get mad to fire his team up" is one of those silly unwritten rules some people think are things...

Community Moderator

I thought the ump was doing pretty good early in the game. Seemed consistent and had some tough calls. But it could have just been the pitches I saw. I even commented to a friend about that. Of course that would jinx us in the 9th. That was a bad call. I think CC knew exactly what he was doing by jumping in.

Awesome win and awesome bullpen night again!

Archived