Brewer Fanatic

Texas Rangers - open to trade vets

Seriously though now Hamels is really the only player on the Rangers I have any interest in. I wanted Hamels last year and I still want him now. Hamels would solidify the rotation for the Brewers going forward. As nice of a year that Nelson had last I don't believe we can count on Nelson coming back right away and being that same pitcher it is going to take him some time to get back into form.

Having the rotation being Anderson, Davies, Hamels, Chacin, Guerra/Suter until Nelson comes back wouldn't be all that bad. It would put less stress on Chacin and Guerra/Suter to perform better than what they are expecting #3 type work from #4 and #5 type pitchers.

When Nelson comes back and is fully out of the spring training mode you can then set your playoff push rotation as Anderson, Davies, Nelson, and Hamels. This isn't a world beating rotation but I think it is enough to get the Brewers into the playoffs and the bullpen then can win some late and close games for the Brewers in the playoffs and late in the year.

In what wild world is Davies in the rotation over Chacin? Since his slump to start the year Chacin has been fantastic.

That being said I have wanted Hamels since the Phillies put him on the block years ago. Someone mentioned the walk rate, but it is the same as his rate in 2016. His K rate has rebounded which I find most important considering the struggles he had last year when it was so low.

I want nothing to do with Hamels. He is absolutely due for some regression. FIP around 5, velocity still down, and he's turned into an extreme flyball pitcher, really bad fit for Miller Park.

Pitching isn't a current need and will be even less so when Nelson returns, if they didn't see starting pitching as a need in March knowing Nelson was going to miss half the season, I don't see how they'll see it as a need with his return becoming imminent.

I just don't understand the desire to both give up prospects and pay high price tags for pitcher based on a name when the reality is that they're not even close to guaranteed to be better than Peralta or Burnes. On very rare occasions it works out like with Verlander last year; more often than not you just end up paying a lot of money for mediocrity.

In what wild world is Davies in the rotation over Chacin? Since his slump to start the year Chacin has been fantastic.

That being said I have wanted Hamels since the Phillies put him on the block years ago. Someone mentioned the walk rate, but it is the same as his rate in 2016. His K rate has rebounded which I find most important considering the struggles he had last year when it was so low.

Because Davies is a far better pitcher than Chacin. Chacin is a #4 at best type of a pitcher not sure why you would want him to be a #3 type starter but hey lets ignore stats and just go by whatever comes off the top of your head. Chacin over his career is about a 4.50 ERA type pitcher. Davies over his short career in the majors so far has been about a 3.90 ERA pitcher. You seriously think Chacin is the better pitcher?

Because Davies is a far better pitcher than Chacin. Chacin is a #4 at best type of a pitcher not sure why you would want him to be a #3 type starter but hey lets ignore stats and just go by whatever comes off the top of your head. Chacin over his career is about a 4.50 ERA type pitcher. Davies over his short career in the majors so far has been about a 3.90 ERA pitcher. You seriously think Chacin is the better pitcher?

??

Chacin has a career 3.90 ERA. Davies 3.99.

Probably should look these things up before snapping at other posters for ignoring stats and going with whatever comes off the top of their head.

??

Which is more accurate Chacin is going to continue being a 3.90 ERA pitcher at the age of 30 or Davies improving his career 3.99 at the age of 25. Yeah I am going to bet on Davies being that 3.9 ERA type pitcher and Chacin being more closer to a 4.50 ERA type pitcher.

I have also bolded and underlined for clearer understanding for type of a pitcher. Which is completely different than career stats. Not sure why that is so hard to understand.

Chacin will likely improve on his 3.90 career ERA. He spent 2/3s of his career pitching at Coors Field. That makes a good number even more impressive. Now he's pitching under Dereck Johnson. Look for him to continue to be really really good.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

??

Which is more accurate Chacin is going to continue being a 3.90 ERA pitcher at the age of 30 or Davies improving his career 3.99 at the age of 25. Yeah I am going to bet on Davies being that 3.9 ERA type pitcher and Chacin being more closer to a 4.50 ERA type pitcher.

I have also bolded and underlined for clearer understanding for type of a pitcher. Which is completely different than career stats. Not sure why that is so hard to understand.

It's not hard to understand, its just wrong and silly, and you are totally backtracking and changing your story and context to fit your argument. You didn't say anything about what you expected going forward, you said Chacin has been a 4.50 ERA pitcher over the course of HIS CAREER, implying past, based on what, I have no idea. Dude spent most of his career at Coors, you think you'd be upgrading him, not downgrading him from his actual 3.90 ERA to a 4.50 ERA "type".

It's also pretty silly to accuse others of ignoring stats and then when others point out that those stats prove you wrong, base your argument off a completely arbitrary 'type' definition with absolutely nothing to back it up.

I don’t care about the future. I care about now, as in the next few months. Zach Davies is pitching pretty poorly, Chacin is pitching stellar. Davies isn’t anything special and I honestly don’t see why just because he is young he is assured to improve. He is in his third season with an arsenal that depends purely on control. I don’t see a much higher ceiling.

I’m not ignoring stats (and your stats were wrong). On the other hand you are ignoring things like mechanics a pitcher may alter. The Brewers signed Chacin because they saw something they believed they could fix and make him even better.

Age is a weird argument because this year is the only year that matters. Chacin is 30...not even close to old.

THAT being said I think it would be really nice to at least get a few starts from Nelson to at least get some kind of idea what he might do the rest of the season. He could hit the ground running, never know.

Age is a weird argument because this year is the only year that matters. Chacin is 30...not even close to old.

THAT being said I think it would be really nice to at least get a few starts from Nelson to at least get some kind of idea what he might do the rest of the season. He could hit the ground running, never know.

Except this is when the majority of players start to decline and I don't believe Chacin is one of those players who won't start to decline. He is a good #4 or #5.

I doubt Nelson will hit the ground running. It is going to take him some time not to mention his first few starts will be limited on how many pitches he will be throwing.

The Brewers need another pitcher who can knock Sutter and Guerra out of the rotation.

Uhh.. are you watching Guerra? Why would we want to knock him out of our rotation? Is it only Brewers fans who undervalue their own? SMH.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived