Brewer Fanatic

Braun to 10 day DL (Latest: Choi recalled)

Curious who gets sent down or DLd, I'm guessing it's Davies but we'll see soon enough

has to be a disabled list move, because choi has not met the minimum 10-day stay in the minors yet.

In that case, only Davies makes sense, especially since they'd want to give him extra rest anyway, but then Choi just goes back down next week, which doesn't do much for the whole he wants to play more or be traded angle.

EDIT: And Thames will likely be back soon too. Maybe they want to showcase Ji-Man for a marginal positional trade?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see both sides and don't think it's a mistake either way. But I get them valuing multiple position flex over a guy who can only play one spot. Considering most days you'll already have at least one legit big bat on the bench. As said, we pull Ps early and look to use some multiple innings, so double switches are going to happen and you need flex. As much as I think Sogard is not an MLB player, I get the logic of having someone who can cover multiple spots.

Curious who gets sent down or DLd, I'm guessing it's Davies but we'll see soon enough

I agree with this, and believe this will be true. The fact he still is "sore" after all this shoulder talk... makes me believe (as i have said many times now) he is hurt more than we have heard. Question is, who will take his spot in the rotation?

No one for now. With off days today, then next Monday and Thursday, they can afford to go a man short in the rotation. Probably won't need a 5th starter until the Cubs series starting on the 11th.

Brain fart - makes sense then. I would love to see Peralta come up and roll the dice for that Cubs series , TBH... see what happens.

has to be a disabled list move, because choi has not met the minimum 10-day stay in the minors yet.

In that case, only Davies makes sense, especially since they'd want to give him extra rest anyway, but then Choi just goes back down next week, which doesn't do much for the whole he wants to play more or be traded angle.

EDIT: And Thames will likely be back soon too. Maybe they want to showcase Ji-Man for a marginal positional trade?

Like maybe a reserve shortstop...as our SS depth is bleak due to injuries.

As much as I think Sogard is not an MLB player, I get the logic of having someone who can cover multiple spots.

I argued in favor of Sogard and Perez all off-season. However, it's becoming more and more obvious that they aren't going to come even close to their peak production (Sogard last year, Perez in 2016) and their career production hasn't earned them the benefit of the doubt much longer.

At this point, I'll take a random Aguilar start at 3B once or twice a month and/or Sogard, Perez, or Saladino as the only back-up 2b/SS if it means having Choi to PH several times a week.

As much as I think Sogard is not an MLB player, I get the logic of having someone who can cover multiple spots.

I argued in favor of Sogard and Perez all off-season. However, it's becoming more and more obvious that they aren't going to come even close to their peak production (Sogard last year, Perez in 2016) and their career production hasn't earned them the benefit of the doubt much longer.

At this point, I'll take a random Aguilar start at 3B once or twice a month and/or Sogard, Perez, or Saladino as the only back-up 2b/SS if it means having Choi to PH several times a week.

The way Suter fields the P position, any chance he could backup at SS/2B? We all know he's a better hitter than Sogard/Perez. Ohtani who...?

Without knowing the return, how mad would any of you be if they moved Aguilar in the next couple weeks as Thames returns?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Without knowing the return, how mad would any of you be if they moved Aguilar in the next couple weeks as Thames returns?

He's been the team's most consistent hitter over the last month. How mad I would be would be completely dependent on the return I guess. It would have to be a solid return ... like a good catcher, 2B or a starting pitcher that can immediately be plugged into the rotation. I don't see any point to trading Aguilar for prospects right now.

Well...depends on the return. :laughing

Not knowing, probably wouldn't like it much. Choi just doesn't make sense as a platoon partner Thames. At least it would free up Braun to basically platoon with Thames but he needs to hit a little more for his bat to play up at 1st.

I would need to be able to say, "Wow, that's more than I thought we'd get for Aguilar" to be happy about it, and I just don't see that.

I'd hate to count on Braun to stay healthy and productive at 1B, and I don't want Thames hitting LHP's. But if the return were good, I'd probably take that gamble. Aguilar is better than I though, but not this good.

In favor of the "sell high on Aguilar" idea, Braun does look a little different since coming back from the DL, and I'm not just talking about his stats. He's more spry. It makes me wonder if he was a little out of shape (by his standards) to start the season, on top of his usual injury concerns. We've seen him come back hot before though, so I'm not getting too excited. And I doubt any other team is ready to give up good players for Aguilar yet anyway.

It obviously depends on the return.

Stearns would take heat because, chances are we are not going to be able to match up major league talent for major league talent, so you are trading him for minor leaguers while in a pennant chase. So you have to get overpaid for him, as the offense will take a hit.

We would still have one extra corner OF/1B when everyone is healthy and Choi if Thames gets injured.

They moved Braun out of the 3 hole for him, that is a big deal in MLB. He is not going anywhere.

I'd hate to count on Braun to stay healthy and productive at 1B, and I don't want Thames hitting LHP's. But if the return were good, I'd probably take that gamble. Aguilar is better than I though, but not this good.

In favor of the "sell high on Aguilar" idea, Braun does look a little different since coming back from the DL, and I'm not just talking about his stats. He's more spry. It makes me wonder if he was a little out of shape (by his standards) to start the season, on top of his usual injury concerns. We've seen him come back hot before though, so I'm not getting too excited. And I doubt any other team is ready to give up good players for Aguilar yet anyway.

Aguilar is a decent sell high candidate with Thames returning soon. I do think Aguilar is good hitter, and looking at his advanced metrics is quite something. Soft-med-hard contact rates are 10-46-44 this year. For comparison, Mike trout is 15-40-45...Freddie Freeman is 13-42-45...Joey Votto is 8-55-37. Aguilar is making consistently as good if not better contact than some of the best hitters in the game.

With that said, he's a negative on defense and the bases...if his bat ever cools he's a negative value player. Depending how bad the roster crunch is, a trade now may make sense. And it's impossible to know how I'd feel about moving him without knowing the return. I think the Jason Rogers return would disappoint me now, although I would have been happy with that return in March. I'd either want a top 100 prospect at this point or him to be a major piece in a trade for SP help.

Aguilar has been amongst the most productive 1Bs in baseball since taking over the full time job. Thames is a downgrade in every offensive category except MAYBE HRs. It would take a very big prospect haul for me not to be mad at a trade, and even then i might still be mad. Thames is a free agent after next year and it is very tough to find franchise 1Bs as we have seen over the years as Brewer fans.

There's something to be said about team chemistry and i dont think trading arguably our best hitter this year on a 36-21 team is the best route. Unless it's for a TOR type, no way.

There's something to be said about team chemistry and i dont think trading arguably our best hitter this year on a 36-21 team is the best route. Unless it's for a TOR type, no way.

Get me Gleyber Torres and I’ll dump Aggy. But seriously, this dude is going no where. His approach at the plate is awesome. He’s super cheap. He’s a clubhouse hero if the rumors are true. He makes DS look sexy, beautiful. Keep him, trade Thames if he reestablishes himself.

Archived