Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2018 - 2019

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
IMO, the physicality of the NBA doesn't really come through on TV. And it doesn't really come through if you're in the upper deck in the arena. But if you ever sit close enough you can see just how much contact those guys have to fight through on almost every single possession. It's kind of amazing actually. They could call a foul every five seconds if they wanted to.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMO, the physicality of the NBA doesn't really come through on TV. And it doesn't really come through if you're in the upper deck in the arena. But if you ever sit close enough you can see just how much contact those guys have to fight through on almost every single possession. It's kind of amazing actually. They could call a foul every five seconds if they wanted to.

I had the chance to sit in the 1st row on the baseline a few years back, and agree completely. Unbelievable how physical it is! Also, I don't get the "jogging up the court" comment. The NBA is a transition game now more than ever, guys are sprinting up and down the court on most possessions.

I had the chance to sit in the 1st row on the baseline a few years back, and agree completely. Unbelievable how physical it is! Also, I don't get the "jogging up the court" comment. The NBA is a transition game now more than ever, guys are sprinting up and down the court on most possessions.

completely agree. I've sat first 10 rows at a few Bucks game and you would be shocked how big these guys are and how physical it is under hoop. The little bumps and shoves they have to manage the whole time on the perimeter and while handling the ball.

For the hockey comparison. Note i'm not an expert so take this as a bit of discussion points/questions, not me lecturing as if I'm right. First, isn't it accepted that playoff hockey is at a whole different level of physicality than regular season? I only watch playoffs so I of course like that, but doesn't that inherently mean they're taking it easy in the regular season just like folks complain about in the NBA? Second, hockey games are 60 minutes but most players only play 22ish minutes and only 45-60 seconds at a time. And keep in mind they get two 15 minute breaks as well. So, they're obviously resting a lot. As they should be due to the physicality and how tiring full speed skating can be. IDK if the mega stars play significantly more minutes or not, but if you wanted to keep Crosby out there 30+ mins instead of normal low 20s he'd obviously have to coast on D and rest just like NBA stars have to do to play 36-40 mins.

That's fair.

For the hockey comparison. Note i'm not an expert so take this as a bit of discussion points/questions, not me lecturing as if I'm right. First, isn't it accepted that playoff hockey is at a whole different level of physicality than regular season? I only watch playoffs so I of course like that, but doesn't that inherently mean they're taking it easy in the regular season just like folks complain about in the NBA? Second, hockey games are 60 minutes but most players only play 22ish minutes and only 45-60 seconds at a time. And keep in mind they get two 15 minute breaks as well. So, they're obviously resting a lot. As they should be due to the physicality and how tiring full speed skating can be. IDK if the mega stars play significantly more minutes or not, but if you wanted to keep Crosby out there 30+ mins instead of normal low 20s he'd obviously have to coast on D and rest just like NBA stars have to do to play 36-40 mins.

The amount of effort is probably the same in actuality. I generally felt similar after a hockey game as I did when I played open basketball for about an hour, and I played open basketball with 100% effort since I was terrible and knew my only positives for my team would be defense and running around. I am biased though, since I have played hockey for 28 of my 33 years.

Having said what I said, I wish the NBA wasn't so physical. I like the game a lot more when guys are free to run and drive and really show off their skills. Brute force isn't as much fun to watch, IMO.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think generalizing what the NBA guys do as "jogging up and down the court" is a pretty bad mis-categorization of what's going on. Playing in the paint, fighting for positioning, general jostling and minute to minute body on body, and fighting for boards is pretty draining.

Unless you're Tony Snell, standing out on the perimeter, waiting for a wide, wide open 3.....

Having said what I said, I wish the NBA wasn't so physical. I like the game a lot more when guys are free to run and drive and really show off their skills. Brute force isn't as much fun to watch, IMO.

I can agree with this. Maybe my memory and perception isn't the same as what reality is, but the 80's game seems like it was a lot more run and gun and fast break. I hated the 90's and early 2000's NBA where it seemed like there was a lot of low 90's and high 80's scores that would win games, with grinding defense and tons of stoppages. We're back to the high scoring NBA, but it's more of a perimeter game now,with almost every team putting a huge emphasis on volume 3's.

Heh. Just looked up the 98-99 Bucks, and with a record of 28-22 (strike shortened season) the Bucks averaged 91.7 ppg and allowed 90.0 ppg. oof.

I was going to say exactly this. Sit courtside once and you will have a new appreciation for what these guys are doing. Not only are they absolutely massive, but the speed of the game does not at all come through on TV, nor does the brutality of a lot of the contact under the rim that occurs away from the ball and is missed by everybody including the officials.

If you have never played a true contact sport like boxing, wrestling, etc., you won't really have an appreciation for how exhausting from a cardiovascular stand point direct contact is either.

If they are lollygagging, it is because they are exhausted or intentionally picking spots like somebody like LeBron. You cannot simply sprint up and down the court at full speed for this 37 minutes. The NBA players are by far the best conditioned of the major three sports.

I can agree with this. Maybe my memory and perception isn't the same as what reality is, but the 80's game seems like it was a lot more run and gun and fast break. I hated the 90's and early 2000's NBA where it seemed like there was a lot of low 90's and high 80's scores that would win games, with grinding defense and tons of stoppages. We're back to the high scoring NBA, but it's more of a perimeter game now,with almost every team putting a huge emphasis on volume 3's.

Heh. Just looked up the 98-99 Bucks, and with a record of 28-22 (strike shortened season) the Bucks averaged 91.7 ppg and allowed 90.0 ppg. oof.

This is exactly right and exactly why they've tweaked the rules the way they have. What the Pistons/Bulls brought in during the 90s made it low scoring physical beat on each other game rather than skill based like it had been previously. I think the Pistons/Spurs type NBA Finals with like 82-77 scores was the last straw.

I want it this way as well so I'm happy with it. Casual fans though have this nostalgia about how it was so physical in years past and how great D was. Well in that 15ish year window, yea probably true but go back to the 80s (agreed upon glory years) and actually watch games and it's not super physical by any means. Plus one has to remember in that 90s timeframe it was much easier to play D because the skills on O were so much less than now. Now, almost every player will drill 3s if left open and almost every player can handle the ball so it makes playing D incredibly difficult. Yet everyone just say it's because they don't try on D. Go back and look at the scores and pace of the 80s and before. There was a reason Wilt/Russel would get 25 rebounds a game, it was because more shots were being taken and therefore more rebounds.

Archived