Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2018 - 2019

homer
Going to be nice to see some stability at PG for the Bucks finally. That position has been a revolving door for the past decade. A very talented revolving door, but a revolving door just the same.

I remember when TJ Ford was supposed to be the answer...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Going to be nice to see some stability at PG for the Bucks finally. That position has been a revolving door for the past decade. A very talented revolving door, but a revolving door just the same.

Lee Mayberry.

Lee Mayberry.

With Todd Day as his backcourt running mate. We tried going back to that Arkansas well a few too many times.

I was all about Erik Murdock back in the day. I think I was about 8 years old, but I remember thinking he was clearly the next great NBA legend. The guy who'd become the next MJ. Might have had my expectations set a bit too highly....

Ecstatic to re-sign Bledsoe at that price. Just ecstatic.

So how are you thinking the rest of the off-season plays out? It seems less and less likely that we bring back Middleton for much short of the Max with teams like the Lakers, Pacers, Nets and others reportedly interested. He's not a legit max level player, but if you let him go, you don't have money to sign any Free Agents of substance with Bledsoe and the Middleton and Mirotic and Brogdon holds...and can you afford to NOT re-sign him with Giannis due to become a FA in 2021?

Love that we have Bledsoe back, but the short term future of the Bucks would SEEM to rest on the Middleton decision looming over us. And while I didn't think Bledsoe would take a discount, it doesn't sound to me as though Middlton is willing to take another discount.

Ecstatic to re-sign Bledsoe at that price. Just ecstatic.

So how are you thinking the rest of the off-season plays out? It seems less and less likely that we bring back Middleton for much short of the Max with teams like the Lakers, Pacers, Nets and others reportedly interested. He's not a legit max level player, but if you let him go, you don't have money to sign any Free Agents of substance with Bledsoe and the Middleton and Mirotic and Brogdon holds...and can you afford to NOT re-sign him with Giannis due to become a FA in 2021?

Love that we have Bledsoe back, but the short term future of the Bucks would SEEM to rest on the Middleton decision looming over us. And while I didn't think Bledsoe would take a discount, it doesn't sound to me as though Middlton is willing to take another discount.

Middleton is a good all star type player with some skills other than shooting threes. He is a good second fiddle next to GA. That being said anything over $110 million for 4 years make no sense. The Bucks can sign all of their players as long as they don't go over this amount. I think Middleton's new contract will be around $80 for 3 years. It just depends how big his ego is.

If anything, I think this makes it more likely that they keep the team together. Bledsoe's salary next season is now going to be about $7m less than his cap hold would have been, and that's a lot of breathing room under the luxury tax line. This also signals that they're probably prioritizing retention, as opposed to decimating their supporting cast around Giannis in a foolhardy "grass-is-greener" pursuit of another superstar. The Bucks' intentions are at least as crucial as any player's intentions when it comes to predicting how the off season plays out.

This could also be seen as the first domino. If Mirotic, Bledsoe, and Middleton all go to unrestricted free agency, any one of them could have doubts about resigning just because they can't be sure the other two will resign as well. Bledsoe committing takes one ball out of the air, making it a lot easier to juggle the other two. We know players love to play for a contender and are often willing to make some personal sacrifices to do so. With Bledsoe officially on board, the other free agents can be a little more confident they'd be returning to a contender if they decide to accept a reasonable offer instead of maximizing every dollar they can get by working free agency for all it's worth, regardless of destination.

Middleton, when he made the all-star team, unequivocally said he wants to stay. The reason there's uncertainty there is because he has a player option and can't sign an extension for fair market value under the circumstances. It's just a nuance of the CBA that requires him to go all the way to unrestricted free agency to get a fair raise (let alone an exorbitant one). The questions about fit are legitimate. In particular he doesn't always like to play at the tempo the Bucks like and hasn't embraced a role shooting open 3's off the ball, preferring to iso against his defender with the offense revolving around him on those possessions. But they should make a competitive offer; it's a risk they have to take. He's not old or anything, and his game doesn't depend on athleticism. He may be a bad contract, but I don't think he'd be a terrible one, and you can always just trade him for a player with a bad contract who fits better. More importantly, you can't just spend the money on someone else. You have the right to go way over the cap to keep him, and you lose that right if you don't keep him. It would be foolish to be stubborn about money and lose talent for nothing that way.

Mirotic and Lopez are the biggest question marks to me. Mirotic plays the same position as Giannis and could eventually be an all-star. How do you sell him on staying if he can make significantly more and be a 35 mpg starter elsewhere? Lopez is in a similar situation, as he's the nominal starter but might regularly lose minutes to guys like Mirotic, if he stays, and eventually Wilson, who are better fits for the modern NBA. And the Bucks aren't allowed to pay him more than the MLE (if that). Their decisions probably depend on each other as much as they do on the market.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Lee Mayberry.

Brandon Knight, Brandon Jennings...

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Bucks starting PGs since Sam Cassell:

Gary Payton

T.J. Ford

Brevin Knight

Mo Williams

Earl Boykins

Ramon Sessions

Luke Ridnour

Monta Ellis

Brandon Jennings

Brandon Knight

Jerryd Bayless

Michael Carter-Williams

Matthew Dellavedova

Malcolm Brogdon

It's no wonder this team has been basically junk since those Cassell/Allen/Big Dog years. There is a lot of talent there, but a ton of different styles. No continuity equals a ship with a broken rudder.

If anything, I think this makes it more likely that they keep the team together. Bledsoe's salary next season is now going to be about $7m less than his cap hold would have been, and that's a lot of breathing room under the luxury tax line. This also signals that they're probably prioritizing retention, as opposed to decimating their supporting cast around Giannis in a foolhardy "grass-is-greener" pursuit of another superstar. The Bucks' intentions are at least as crucial as any player's intentions when it comes to predicting how the off season plays out.

This could also be seen as the first domino. If Mirotic, Bledsoe, and Middleton all go to unrestricted free agency, any one of them could have doubts about resigning just because they can't be sure the other two will resign as well. Bledsoe committing takes one ball out of the air, making it a lot easier to juggle the other two. We know players love to play for a contender and are often willing to make some personal sacrifices to do so. With Bledsoe officially on board, the other free agents can be a little more confident they'd be returning to a contender if they decide to accept a reasonable offer instead of maximizing every dollar they can get by working free agency for all it's worth, regardless of destination.

Middleton, when he made the all-star team, unequivocally said he wants to stay. The reason there's uncertainty there is because he has a player option and can't sign an extension for fair market value under the circumstances. It's just a nuance of the CBA that requires him to go all the way to unrestricted free agency to get a fair raise (let alone an exorbitant one). The questions about fit are legitimate. In particular he doesn't always like to play at the tempo the Bucks like and hasn't embraced a role shooting open 3's off the ball, preferring to iso against his defender with the offense revolving around him on those possessions. But they should make a competitive offer; it's a risk they have to take. He's not old or anything, and his game doesn't depend on athleticism. He may be a bad contract, but I don't think he'd be a terrible one, and you can always just trade him for a player with a bad contract who fits better. More importantly, you can't just spend the money on someone else. You have the right to go way over the cap to keep him, and you lose that right if you don't keep him. It would be foolish to be stubborn about money and lose talent for nothing that way.

Mirotic and Lopez are the biggest question marks to me. Mirotic plays the same position as Giannis and could eventually be an all-star. How do you sell him on staying if he can make significantly more and be a 35 mpg starter elsewhere? Lopez is in a similar situation, as he's the nominal starter but might regularly lose minutes to guys like Mirotic, if he stays, and eventually Wilson, who are better fits for the modern NBA. And the Bucks aren't allowed to pay him more than the MLE (if that). Their decisions probably depend on each other as much as they do on the market.

Pay Mirotic first period. Pay Middleton second up to the point I stated above. Do the best you can with the rest.

Bucks starting PGs since Sam Cassell:

Gary Payton

T.J. Ford

Brevin Knight

Mo Williams

Earl Boykins

Ramon Sessions

Luke Ridnour

Monta Ellis

Brandon Jennings

Brandon Knight

Jerryd Bayless

Michael Carter-Williams

Matthew Dellavedova

Malcolm Brogdon

It's no wonder this team has been basically junk since those Cassell/Allen/Big Dog years. There is a lot of talent there, but a ton of different styles. No continuity equals a ship with a broken rudder.

PG memory lane is fun, but Bucks history of big men is even better.

What a brutal choke job. I know there's runs in games, but when you're a championship caliber team, you can't blow 17 point 4th quarter leads. you just can't. Middleton's shot selection in this game wasn't good. He's just running down the court and taking a lot of floating runners that he doesn't have good looks at.

As a SLC resident, I get to watch Milwaukee live usually once a year...and this is the garbage 12 men I was subjected to? FFS.

Connaughton for 36 minutes?

Snell for 27 minutes?

Canaan for 10 minutes?

Middleton 8 for 24 looking all but lost in the 2nd half.

I get that they ran out of gas, just figures it would be the one game I get to see them in person. Watching Mitchell hit open 3 after open 3 is why I feel when the chips are down, that is how they'll get knocked from the playoffs.

You can, and it happens to all championship caliber teams. Bucks have been remarkable at clising out games all year. They get a pass once out of 82 games, without Bledsoe/Brogdon.

Plus the fact that the Jazz were rested and we played the night before against the Lakers. Why would the league have a team play back to back games in the middle of a long road trip out west? :( I hope having tonight off we won't run out of gas against the Suns Monday night.

Bucks were missing their top four guards and playing the 2nd game on a back to back.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Bucks were missing their top four guards and playing the 2nd game on a back to back.

Absolutely, Bucks were playing from behind from the start. They were missing key guys and still almost pulled out a win against a good team.

Connaughton for 36 minutes?

Snell for 27 minutes?

Canaan for 10 minutes?

Middleton 8 for 24 looking all but lost in the 2nd half.

I get that they ran out of gas, just figures it would be the one game I get to see them in person. Watching Mitchell hit open 3 after open 3 is why I feel when the chips are down, that is how they'll get knocked from the playoffs.

FOUR rotation guards were injured and out for this game. What would you like them to do?

I know you're not a personal fan of the man, but you seem to ignore the RFA we have who is currently on pace to finish a 90/50/40 season while playing real solid defense. It'd be nice if we could have found a taker for Snell, the last bad contract the Bucks are stuck with. But the Bucks are going to want to bring Brogdon back and he's likely to get 12-15 per year....if not more. It'd be one thing is they'd seen more from DiVincenzo...

Either way, this off-season is going to have enormous repercussions. Hopefully the summer after next we're making Giannis the highest paid athletes in North American team sports with his 5 year 250-something super-max deal and the Bucks can put one more piece around him. On a side note, really hoping we can snag Bruno Fernando in the draft. He's all over the place right now on draft boards and will probably be gone by the time we pick, but he could be our Clint Capella type that I think the Bucks really need. That big with the athleticism to get 10+ boards and be another big who can protect the rim and get up and down the floor. Not that they're lacking that this year, but being able to find a young guy like that in the draft would be huge.

Just a reminder how short time is, 9 years ago was Brandon Jennings rookie year.

There hasn't been much talent at all at the PG position in Milwaukee in the last 10 years.

Excited for the rest of the season. I am still in shock at just how great this team looks when they click on all cylinders.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I was expecting a loss on Saturday since it was a back to back and they were missing a ton of guards but when up 17 in the 4th it would be nice to close out. I like Middleton but if he just plays decent in the 4th the Bucks win. With that said after the Raptors loss yesterday the Bucks are in great position for the #1 seed up 2.5 with the tie breaker. At this point I just want everybody healthy for the playoffs and if they lose games like this along the way so be it.

Archived