Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2018 - 2019

homer
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The Raptors were never close in this game. they shot 7 of 27 from 3, and they also have a LOT of guys that can score inside with ease. You can't just hang around the 3 point arc and hope they don't try to score inside. That's just the way the NBA game is played now. The Bucks are 37 - 13. Whatever they're doing, they're doing most of it pretty well.

Game results be damned. So tired of watching the Bucks on defense, sprinting out to "defend" a guy for a wide open three...time and time and time and time again.

THAT is your take-away from this game? Wow. Bucks defense was outstanding for most of the game.

The Bucks have the best defensive rating in the NBA. They are arguably the best defensive team in the league.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The Bucks beat the Raptors three out of four times. Unless Philly or Toronto make a game-changing trade, the Bucks are the team to beat in the east. I think the Bucks are clearly the number two team in the NBA, because the Warriors are scary scary good with boogie in that lineup.

Everything kind of depends on where Anthony Davis lands by February 7th, but right now the Bucks are the best team in the East and they have proven it with their record and by clowning the Raptors three out of four times.

Game results be damned. So tired of watching the Bucks on defense, sprinting out to "defend" a guy for a wide open three...time and time and time and time again.

THAT is your take-away from this game? Wow. Bucks defense was outstanding for most of the game.

Yea this is the NBA with all the rule changes favoring the offense it's impossible to take everything away. They have the best defensive rating in the league and pretty much the only time they lose is when the other team has a stupid hot night from 3 that's an anomaly. So can a team do that 4/7 games vs them in the playoffs (besides GSW)?

The Bucks have the best defensive rating in the NBA. They are arguably the best defensive team in the league.

True, but this criticism isn't really wrong per se. They don't have great closing speed on the perimeter, and it could be an issue against the Warriors.

I think a better way to phrase this criticism would be "the Bucks don't do a great job closing out on open 3-point shooters and this might be the biggest reason they won't be the 12th team in NBA history with an average scoring differential of +10 or more or win a finals match-up against the Warriors, who incidentally own 3 of the 11 previous +10 seasons."

ETA: DJ Wilson will be surpass Brook and Ersan for crunch time minutes by the end of the year and this won't be as much of an issue. :)

The Bucks keys to defense are 1) don't foul (lead league in fewest fouls per 100 possessions) and 2) protect the paint (Bucks opponents have the worst 2pt FG% in the league).
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The Bucks beat the Raptors three out of four times. Unless Philly or Toronto make a game-changing trade, the Bucks are the team to beat in the east. I think the Bucks are clearly the number two team in the NBA, because the Warriors are scary scary good with boogie in that lineup.

Everything kind of depends on where Anthony Davis lands by February 7th, but right now the Bucks are the best team in the East and they have proven it with their record and by clowning the Raptors three out of four times.

What if Milwaukee is where AD lands? There were one of the teams being talked about as having inquired about AD.

Although it's nearly impossible to see how we could possibly pull off such a trade. Our most tradable assets are all free agents after the seaons. The next best are good players like Wilson or high potential players like Maker, but they certainly haven't proven anything yet.

And even if there were some scenario in which the Pelicans wanted to just go all the way in the tank and dump Jrue in the same deal(I don't happen to think he's as good as others do, so I could see them wanting to move his salary)....we don't have nearly enough to make the salaries work.

Still curious what the Bucks offered ASSUMING the report is true that the Bucks, Raptos and other teams have made offers.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Last night was one heck of a statement game in Toronto. Giannis missed a lot of time out there in the second half with foul trouble too.

Exactly. To do what they did, and withstand the rush by Toronto without Giannis on the road, is pretty impressive. 3 out of 4 from Toronto, and won both games at Toronto.

I'm more worried about Boston. Not sure why they aren't clicking; maybe not enough shots to go around and nobody is happy. If they start clicking though - Irving, Tatum, Horford (who has owned the Bucks for a decade), Morris, Hayward, Brown... lots of guys to defend.

True, but this criticism isn't really wrong per se. They don't have great closing speed on the perimeter, and it could be an issue against the Warriors.

I think a better way to phrase this criticism would be "the Bucks don't do a great job closing out on open 3-point shooters and this might be the biggest reason they won't be the 12th team in NBA history with an average scoring differential of +10 or more or win a finals match-up against the Warriors, who incidentally own 3 of the 11 previous +10 seasons."

ETA: DJ Wilson will be surpass Brook and Ersan for crunch time minutes by the end of the year and this won't be as much of an issue. :)

Vs the Warriors your closing and main lineup will have Giannis at the 5 and basically nowhere to play Brook/Ersan slow types. You're either going to have Wilson if he keeps progressing or Brown/Snell/Hill out there to have more speed and athleticism.

Vs the Warriors your closing and main lineup will have Giannis at the 5 and basically nowhere to play Brook/Ersan slow types. You're either going to have Wilson if he keeps progressing or Brown/Snell/Hill out there to have more speed and athleticism.

That takes away a lot of interior defense though. No way I want Giannis guarding Cousins. They do have lots of good players and depth, and most of their lineups obviously create bigger problems for their opponents than for themselves... but if we're talking title, I think a quicker 3-and-d wing in the mold of an Ariza would be a godsend for this team.

I hope we didn't offer anything of material value for AD and it was fake news. I'm not convinced he really is "as good" as advertised...seems more likely to me he is a rich mans version of Kevin Love with the Timberwolves (a giant box score). Other than one good playoff series vs a mediocre Portland team teams he's been on have done nothing.

On a FAR more realistic note, a athletic 5 who grabs 13-14 rebounds a game, has been a multiple time all NBA defensive 1st teamer, and requires very few touches offensively SHOULD become available in the near future.

I always thought while he was with the Clips, he'd be an ideal big man to pair with Giannis, however I haven't watched him play with Dallas at all recently. I know his D hasn't graded out where it has in the past. Is that the result of playing for a Clippers team at the end that had no direction and then a Mavs team that was not very good....or has his athletic ability eroded enough that he's no longer a good defender?

Could this be the Maker trade? We move...say George Hilll and Maker for Jordan and a 2nd rounder this year? Or a 2nd rounder next year(I would like to recoup a draft pick). Or is it possible that the this is one of those moves where the Knicks just buy him out and aren't even trying to recoup anything for him because they're so desperate to not lose any cap room next year and they certainly don't want Jordan hurting their chances at Zion or even Barrett(personally, I'm going out on a limb and saying the later is going to be the better long term pro).

So two parter, does he make the Bucks THAT much better, particularly in the post-season where we could face the likes of Horford again, Serge, and then Embid and Simmons(not that he'd guard Simmons). A guy who's less likely to get pushed around than our current bigs and is a much better rebounder than Lopez?

I'd be interested to see what others have to say because I've been a big fan of his for a long time and while he certainly doesn't provide any spacing, he fits perfectly as a big man foer the Bucks in transition and gives temas another big, athletic guy to contend with. Plus...the Bucks achiles heal in the post-season the last two years seemed to be big men in the post that we don't really have an answer for.

The idea of a Jordan block, Giannis picks it up, pushes it ahead to Bledsoe, Jordan trailing and a Bledsoe lob(a little reunion right there also) could actually bode well for the offense also.

Given the Bucks serious interest in Jordan in the past, I'm guessing they've already inquired about the Knicks intentions with him. They did say that the players they acquired would be good veterans for their younger players, but they're tanking and not signing them after this year since they want KD and Kawai or whoever they think they can get, but will actually end up settling for Jimmy Butler and Kemba Walker.

So they might as well lose as many games as possible. And like I said, George Hill+Maker(which I hate to do because I still love his upside) for Jordan+Knicks 2nd...that'd make me happy.

I agree with that, Ariza would've been perfect. That's just the way it is vs GSW though, you have to go small lineup or you have no chance. Lopez will get run off the floor, he'll play mins of course but less and you have to pick your spots. If I'm in the NBA Finals I agree I wouldn't want to be relying on Brown, Wilson, Snell at crunch time in those lineups. So currently we're at Hill the most likely one to be out there and while he's fine overall. He's still not quite good enough vs GSW. Ariza being longer would be better. Maybe this crazy Wilson improvement will keep going and he'll be the guy though, what he could bring theoretically could fit vs GSW and he could guard KD instead of Giannis.

I guess maybe we'll see what Wes Mathews has left. His shooting seems to be there but IDK about the athleticism after the injury to hang in that situation either. I'll also put a guess out that Deandre goes to GSW after the buyout. Takes the garbage mins from Looney and others.

I hope we didn't offer anything of material value for AD and it was fake news. I'm not convinced he really is "as good" as advertised...seems more likely to me he is a rich mans version of Kevin Love with the Timberwolves (a giant box score). Other than one good playoff series vs a mediocre Portland team teams he's been on have done nothing.

Man...I could NOT disagree more. Every year they ask executive's who you'd rather start a team with and it's been between Giannis and this guy the last few years with him only getting dinged for injuries.

I think he's a historical, transcendent talent who has a chance to be a top 10-15 player when all is said and done.

I agree it's always tough to tell how good a guy is when he's the main guy on a bad team, but that applies more to guard and ball handlers IMO. When you can dominant defensively, without the ball, rebound like him...I think he's a top 5 player in the game right now with LeBron, KD, Giannis and I don't even want to name another because I'll be leaving too many people out.

I just don't think it's realistic. I don't see what assets we have that match up with them. If we had our 1sts, or even Middleton or Bledsoe signed it'd e one thing, but we don't.

Last night was one heck of a statement game in Toronto. Giannis missed a lot of time out there in the second half with foul trouble too.

Exactly. To do what they did, and withstand the rush by Toronto without Giannis on the road, is pretty impressive. 3 out of 4 from Toronto, and won both games at Toronto.

I'm more worried about Boston. Not sure why they aren't clicking; maybe not enough shots to go around and nobody is happy. If they start clicking though - Irving, Tatum, Horford (who has owned the Bucks for a decade), Morris, Hayward, Brown... lots of guys to defend.

How about Giannis just absolutely taking Leonard to school a few times when they were matched up 1 on 1?

That was impressive as hell. Especially the spin move to get to the basket and then the easy layup.

By the way, anyone see where Shaq said that Giannis shouldn't even bother trying to get better at shooting the 3 because he's so good now? Was this his approach to his free throws? Because it'd make a lot of sense. If Giannis could develop into a 35 pct 3 point shooter....how in the world do you possible even TRY to defend that dude? You close out, he's gone. You give him 4 feet like last night, he can nail it. I'm not talking about Jason Kidd or Steve Nash type improvements from the start of their career towards the ends, but just an average 3 point shooter would make Giannis SOOOO much better than he already is...

I agree with that, Ariza would've been perfect. That's just the way it is vs GSW though, you have to go small lineup or you have no chance. Lopez will get run off the floor, he'll play mins of course but less and you have to pick your spots. If I'm in the NBA Finals I agree I wouldn't want to be relying on Brown, Wilson, Snell at crunch time in those lineups. So currently we're at Hill the most likely one to be out there and while he's fine overall. He's still not quite good enough vs GSW. Ariza being longer would be better. Maybe this crazy Wilson improvement will keep going and he'll be the guy though, what he could bring theoretically could fit vs GSW and he could guard KD instead of Giannis.

I guess maybe we'll see what Wes Mathews has left. His shooting seems to be there but IDK about the athleticism after the injury to hang in that situation either. I'll also put a guess out that Deandre goes to GSW after the buyout. Takes the garbage mins from Looney and others.

Well, we'll still have playoff Thon who keeps looking really good and aggressive in the post-season and has the athletic ability to close out and defend the 3. Why he's unable to translate that into the regular season is beyond me, but he has been a big sparkplug in the last two years come playoff time.

This should be in a light shade of blue...because I'm not totally being sarcastic, but I also don't want to depend on him right now. In fact, I have no idea what to think of him at the moment other than I'm fairly certain if he does to another team he's going to become a Clint Capella type who can shoot the 3.

I actually like Snell out there over Hill because he's so long and capable of defending multiple positions...which is exactly what you need. And he can knock down the open 3.

Hill's obviously experienced and very good, he just doesn't quite have the size if he needs to switch to Klay or especially KD. Playing on the "Thon's good in the playoffs" idea, I'd like to see Wilson, Thon and then hopefully another athletic big we may still add thrown at KD to try and wear him down.

How about Giannis just absolutely taking Leonard to school a few times when they were matched up 1 on 1?

That was impressive as hell. Especially the spin move to get to the basket and then the easy layup.

By the way, anyone see where Shaq said that Giannis shouldn't even bother trying to get better at shooting the 3 because he's so good now? Was this his approach to his free throws? Because it'd make a lot of sense. If Giannis could develop into a 35 pct 3 point shooter....how in the world do you possible even TRY to defend that dude? You close out, he's gone. You give him 4 feet like last night, he can nail it. I'm not talking about Jason Kidd or Steve Nash type improvements from the start of their career towards the ends, but just an average 3 point shooter would make Giannis SOOOO much better than he already is...

Yea, Shaq and a couple others have said that in the past too. I see it both ways, I know what he's trying to say. He usually takes three 3-pointers a game on avg, which is about right for him. They're always "good shot." I do think at some point he will get to that 35% range, as his shot looks fine. You can just tell he's still thinking too much, just needs more confidence.

What he DOES need to eliminate is that fade-away jumper. He has largely gone way form it, to be fair.

The logic on that from Shaq should be that by spending his time hanging around the perimeter it would take away from what makes him great, attacking and finishing at the rim. Yes, of course if could do everything that would be great but for such a poor shooter it seams unlikely. So, keep perfecting what you're doing down there. Add more finishes for when the dunk is cut off, runners, floaters, hooks, banks, short jumper for if the clock is winding down, whatever. but most importantly it keeps the emphasis on attacking the rim rather than dribbling around the perimeter, which is what every team wants him to do.

For playoff Thon, that's just a small sample fluke. Guy plays hard and gives all effort, I respect that and root for him. But I'm fairly confident he's terrible and won't be in the league 3 years from now. Put him on KD for more than a couple mins and he'll get ate up, he'll fall for every pump fake, foul a ton. he has no hand eye coordination, dexterity/coordination, and can't catch the ball.

What would it take to get Kemba Walker and Frank the Tank out of NC? Frank is sitting on the bench ala Thon Maker. Just a thought.

They don't have anything to trade. They don't have anything to trade. They don't have anything to trade.

They cannot trade a first round pick until 2024.

DDV can't shoot. DJ Wilson is playing 10 minutes per game, and while better, still isn't that good. Thon is actually 26 years old (and the entire league knows this) and can't catch a basketball. 4 of their 5 starters are on expiring contracts.

They aren't getting AD or Kemba.

4 years of complete mismanagement of the team has come back to bite them.

They've got the best record in the NBA and I'm enjoying the ride... but man am I scared for this off season.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived