Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2018 - 2019

homer
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I cannot get enough of the Bulls drama. This stuff is absolutely incredible.

If ever a team needed Coach Cooper...

Seems like the new coach came from Cooper Coaching Academy. Not going well so far, but he's all about the long term. He'll weed out the attitude problems and have them playing solid fundamental bball before you know it, four passes every possession before a shot.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think he'll be top five probably top three but the usual cast of characters are going to Jumble this mess up as usual. Paul George is also a dark horse candidate. He has been playing unbelievable, and pushing Oklahoma City to the top of the West standings. I don't know if he's quite an MVP candidate but he sure is creating a lot of Buzz around his name early in the season.

About a month ago people were all over DJ Wilson. Last night was the first I saw him in any amount of action and I thought he looked really good. His defense against a bigger stronger all star was good, he did not back down and challenge at every opportunity. He did not look too lost on offensive end and hit his shots when he was open. I am quite optimistic in his development after seeing him play some. Maybe it is not a lost pick?

Also Sterling Brown looked really good. He will have a long career in the NBA. He can play quality defense, rebound like a man, and play bigger than his size, even though he is pretty big anyways. He reminds me of a blast from the past... Sidney Moncrief, my favorite Buck of all times.

Last but not least, Tony Snell did not look bad. Enough said.

It is only one game, but it makes me fell good about the second team and the future of the Bucks. I really like Connaughton and the pick of Donte D. If Middleton costs waaayyy more than $20 mill per year, I won't feel that bad if they let him go.

About a month ago people were all over DJ Wilson. Last night was the first I saw him in any amount of action and I thought he looked really good. His defense against a bigger stronger all star was good, he did not back down and challenge at every opportunity. He did not look too lost on offensive end and hit his shots when he was open. I am quite optimistic in his development after seeing him play some. Maybe it is not a lost pick?

It was only one game, but at least we see what the Bucks see in him. It gives me even more hope Brian G just may be a really good GM. Hired the right coach, great signings this off-season, great trade recently to shed salary. It bothered me a little he picked up the option on him, as I really thought it was just a wasted pick and move on. Now at least there's hope with DJ Wilson.

The way the East is shaping up, there are 5 teams all very close. Philly arguably has the most talent, but have some attitudes to deal with. Will be interesting to see if the Bucks make any moves.

Ya, that was really the first extended run DJ has gotten this season. I agree he looked good for the most part. Especially on defense against Griffin. I think he got a little lost at times when defending Leur, but overall no complaints about last night from him. He looked like a perfectly capable 10th man for at least one night.

Sterling feels to have supplanted Donte and Pat in the rotation. Neither of those two guys are shooting particularly well even if they do some other things on the floor. Sterling Is a perfectly solid rotation guy.

I think Tony Snell has been perfectly solid and consistent this season in Bud's system. I wouldn't be surprised if they still try to move his $$ to give them more flexibility during this off season when 4 starters are free agents, but he fits well in this scheme IMO.

I think there will be plenty of opportunities for DJ, Thon, Donte, and Sterling to pick up minutes this season. It might not be consistently 20 min per game, but guys will continue to get banged up and take games off to rest and that will open up minutes for the young guys.

Agree on Snell, he's fine for his roll but they will likely need that $8MM (or whatever it is) in cap space next year. And they should be able to move him because he would be a nice fit for a lot of teams.

I really like the way Coach Bud throws in a reserve player with the starters early in a game. Really hard to get a read on a player when they only play at garbage time with other end of the bench players. He did it at the start of the year with Donte, and has done it with Connaughton, Sterling Brown, Thon, and now DJ Wilson. Sounds obvious, but you don't see it that much in the NBA, giving a guy the chance to shine early in a game with the starters.

Also Sterling Brown looked really good. He will have a long career in the NBA. He can play quality defense, rebound like a man, and play bigger than his size, even though he is pretty big anyways. He reminds me of a blast from the past... Sidney Moncrief, my favorite Buck of all times.

Last but not least, Tony Snell did not look bad. Enough said.

It is only one game, but it makes me fell good about the second team and the future of the Bucks. I really like Connaughton and the pick of Donte D. If Middleton costs waaayyy more than $20 mill per year, I won't feel that bad if they let him go.

Great post. Agree on all counts except Khris. I've given up on Khris ever fully living up to his potential, but he's still useful. More importantly, it's just the way free agency works in the NBA. The Bucks can't just spend the money on someone else. They either spend it on Khris or just lose the talent, because you're allowed to go over the cap to keep your own players (under most circumstances).

After the Hill trade, there was a lot of buzz about what the Bucks would do with the cap space. For better or for worse, the real question is whether they're willing to pay the luxury tax to keep the team together and one add mid-level free agent with their exception money. They would lose more talent (possibly MUCH more) than they'd gain if they renounced all their free agent rights to sign a big, splashy outside free agent. Unfortunately, that means over-paying to keep everyone, but that's how you play the game in the NBA. When you're a contender, you don't look at contracts in a vacuum. You just do whatever you can to add/retain as much talent as is legally possible under their collective bargaining agreement, which is very different from, say, MLB's.

DJ is promising. They clearly saw something in him, and I think it's going to pay off. Love how they're coaching him to set screens as much as possible and then drift behind the arc. If he hits his 3's - and he must be hitting them in practice, or they wouldn't have picked up his option - he's going to be a big help. Ersan is not getting any younger and Thon is not getting any better.

Brown is a terrific small-ball sf/pf off the bench. Such a pain in the butt for match-ups. Picks up the team and gives them some toughness they desperately need. Can't eat his way back to the bench though.

Snell absolutely sucks, but Giannis gets some usefulness out of him. It's a good niche for him to receive hand-offs from Giannis and hit open 3's, and they have good timing together. It reminds me of Kukoc and Gadzuric in the sense that the good player somehow makes the terrible player useful for brief stretches because of the unique synergy.

Regarding Hill, I was thrilled with the trade until I saw an interview with him. The Bucks' facial recognition folks must have blown a gasket. His apathy reminded me of the NYC transfer school students I teach. Yikes. Talk about a guy going through the motions. There may still be time to rejuvenate him, but apparently he's still weighed down by about 10 pounds of egg on his face from when he rejected Utah's 4/$88m extension and ended up with the Kings for much less.

It was only one game, but at least we see what the Bucks see in him. It gives me even more hope Brian G just may be a really good GM. Hired the right coach, great signings this off-season, great trade recently to shed salary. It bothered me a little he picked up the option on him, as I really thought it was just a wasted pick and move on. Now at least there's hope with DJ Wilson.

The way the East is shaping up, there are 5 teams all very close. Philly arguably has the most talent, but have some attitudes to deal with. Will be interesting to see if the Bucks make any moves.

Wrong sport/team, the Bucks GM is Jon Horst....

Regarding Hill, I was thrilled with the trade until I saw an interview with him. The Bucks' facial recognition folks must have blown a gasket. His apathy reminded me of the NYC transfer school students I teach. Yikes. Talk about a guy going through the motions. There may still be time to rejuvenate him, but apparently he's still weighed down by about 10 pounds of egg on his face from when he rejected Utah's 4/$88m extension and ended up with the Kings for much less.

Nope. My buddy is a Pacer fan and still despises him till this very day for being a bum and acting like this.

Nope. My buddy is a Pacer fan and still despises him till this very day for being a bum and acting like this.

Regardless, he takes Delly's place who wasn't playing anyway. He can't be worse than Delly and if he is it doesn't matter, just don't play him then like you were with Delly. Trade was still good to clear the bad money. You traded two guys that couldn't play this year (Delly, Henson) for two guys who can, while also eliminating two contracts for next year. And all it cost was heavily protected 1st that might not convery for 5 years. Plus, both expiring deals are able to be traded again at the deadline if something else arises.

Regardless, he takes Delly's place who wasn't playing anyway. He can't be worse than Delly and if he is it doesn't matter, just don't play him then like you were with Delly. Trade was still good to clear the bad money. You traded two guys that couldn't play this year (Delly, Henson) for two guys who can, while also eliminating two contracts for next year. And all it cost was heavily protected 1st that might not convery for 5 years. Plus, both expiring deals are able to be traded again at the deadline if something else arises.

Don't get me wrong; I'm still very happy about the trade. But I had hopes of him snapping out of it a little when coming to a much better team, which would be a huge boost. He's not too old and he has averaged less than 30 mpg for his career. He doesn't have a history of career-altering body injuries (e.g., lower body or back). One could easily imagine him bouncing back a little if his attitude is right, but he seems to be going through the motions. And even that is a big improvement over Delly, but not over what some of the Bucks' rivals for the East crown have on the bench.

Nice come-from-behind win tonight. Wilson getting some quality minutes again with nine points and 10 boards. Wasn't sure we'd ever see any value out of that dude, so getting quality minutes out of him is really nice.

DJ played last night? I thought that was Anthony Davis's older brother.

Believe in Bud. Having a quality NBA coach just makes all of our pieces look better. Snell is even looking good. Right now I have confidence in the back half of our roster if Bud wants to put them in all together. If Bud wants to start Snell, I am ok with that.

I like when he pulls players for poor defensive effort. High effort 48 minute quality defense will win championships. In Bud I trust.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Given they are on rookie deals, getting solid minutes from Brown and Wilson would be huge next season.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Even Hill, with his bad facial expressions and all, had a good night. Couple of huge 3s at the end of quarters to stop big runs from New Orleans.

I don't know if this is meant to mock concerns about his apathy, but it's a pretty well-known fact that he all but quit on his team/his career/himself after completely over-playing his hand in free agency. There's still a very good basketball player in there somewhere, and I'm especially encouraged by the fact that he still moves well, but guys will still have nights like this even when they're going through the motions.

Here's hoping he's still playing for his next contract instead of counting down to retirement.

Archived