Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2018 - 2019

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Well, getting rid of Delly AND Henson from the roster was a pretty impressive feat.

Delly was pretty much nothing at this point - so no harm there. And Henson will be out for most of the year, so we are only losing him for next year.

Losing the 1st round pick will suck, but that's the way the game goes.

Hill is nothing special, but the guy is a good 3-point shooter, so he should help this year.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven’t seen the protection of the first round pick but that figures to be in the 20’s which is a very small price to pay to open up that much cap room. Great deal for the Bucks.

Now stop signing bad deals in first place!

George Hill and Jason Smith are useful players and perfect fits, unlike Dellavedova and Henson. And they have expiring contracts. Well, Hill has a $1m buyout, but that's peanuts. I mean it's lots of peanuts to you and me, but not a lot for an NBA team.

The pick can't convey this year because next year's pick might go to Phoenix and you can't make a trade where you put yourself at risk of having two consecutive future drafts without a first round. And it can't convey next year because the Phoenix pick is still owed. Basically it probably can't convey until 2021, but the Phoenix pick probably goes in 2020 so that means the Bucks have to keep their 2021 pick and convey the pick in 2022. It has solid protection against disaster though.

You can't acquire guys just to use their salary to facilitate other trades that would otherwise be illegal, so that's why you have to wait 2 months to combine them with other assets in a trade. That's crucial because the Bucks will have one day at the deadline to package, for example, Brogdon and Hill and DDV for a guy like Beal. That's a long shot obviously but the point is not to suggest a realistic trade; it is to show the financial implications of closing this deal on the 7th.

I haven’t seen the protection of the first round pick but that figures to be in the 20’s which is a very small price to pay to open up that much cap room. Great deal for the Bucks.

Now stop signing bad deals in first place!

Correct, that was a Hammonds Special doing that. However, I am not going to blame the current GM for the bad contracts. Hopefully he puts the extra cap space to good use next year and not another bad contract.

George Hill and Jason Smith are useful players and perfect fits, unlike Dellavedova and Henson. And they have expiring contracts. Well, Hill has a $1m buyout, but that's peanuts. I mean it's lots of peanuts to you and me, but not a lot for an NBA team.

The pick can't convey this year because next year's pick might go to Phoenix and you can't make a trade where you put yourself at risk of having two consecutive future drafts without a first round. And it can't convey next year because the Phoenix pick is still owed. Basically it probably can't convey until 2021, but the Phoenix pick probably goes in 2020 so that means the Bucks have to keep their 2021 pick and convey the pick in 2022. It has solid protection against disaster though.

You can't acquire guys just to use their salary to facilitate other trades that would otherwise be illegal, so that's why you have to wait 2 months to combine them with other assets in a trade. That's crucial because the Bucks will have one day at the deadline to package, for example, Brogdon and Hill and DDV for a guy like Beal. That's a long shot obviously but the point is not to suggest a realistic trade; it is to show the financial implications of closing this deal on the 7th.

I feel like you need a PhD just to understand NBA salaries and cap structure. There has to be a way to make it easier. It's like they just handed it to accountants and lawyers and said "have at it!"

Let’s not forget that giving up picks to get rid of bad contracts you wrote is shameful, but otherwise, I like the move.

Cleaning up Hammonds' mess. Horst had to do it.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I was really curious what Horst was going to have to do to get rid of those bad contracts, and a first-rounder which won't even convey for three years is pretty incredible. I didn't realize you could even trade injured players.

Not a bad move by any of the teams, really.

What's the Phoenix pick protection for this year? And is it next year unprotected if it doesn't go this year?
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

What's the Phoenix pick protection for this year? And is it next year unprotected if it doesn't go this year?

"The pick the Bucks owe the Suns is protected both front-end and back-end for 2019. Phoenix only gets the pick if it lands somewhere from 4-16. Currently Milwaukee projects in the mid-20s, so it probably won't go to the Suns this year."

from @KevinSmithNBA

edit: I stole this off of twitter. I'll credit the dude after I finish eating these ribs :)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yeah, seriously doubt that pick goes to Phoenix this season unless Giannis gets hurt and Middleton is going full Vin Baker before our eyes. Which I think he is, but still... the Bucks are not falling to the 7 or 8 seed in the East.

It's top 7 protected for 2020, so there's a very strong chance that's when it goes. That means the Cavs can't get the Bucks 2021 pick, even though that's the original terms of the trade. Basically the 2021 pick was sent to the Cavs contingent on the 2019 pick going to the Suns, but the 2019 pick won't go to the Suns. The Cavs wouldn't get the Bucks' first rounder until 2023 if the Bucks pick in the top 7 in 2020, meaning Phoenix had to wait until 2021.

And even then, the Bucks protected the pick they sent to Cleveland. Basically it's a very good use of picks on both counts (Bledsoe and Hill/cap space). They took a slight chance of giving up a really good pick to close the deals, but it was so unlikely to be a good pick that it was well worth the risk.

Man this stuff is so confusing with the protections. So basically the Cavs might not get their pick till 2024 due to protections. Crazy.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Man this stuff is so confusing with the protections. So basically the Cavs might not get their pick till 2024 due to protections. Crazy.

Nope. Unlikely but possible that the protections kick in a few times and they don't get a first rounder at all. It would be two second rounders in 2025 in that case. The Bucks must own someone else's 2025 second rounder.

I really hate these "city" uniforms they are wearing tonight... Distracting.

Also, I find it hard to root for DJ Wilson and his many hair dos. The guy just moves weird on the court, kind of a prancer, seems lost a lot of the time, and seems to offer next to nothing.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Also, I find it hard to root for DJ Wilson and his many hair dos. The guy just moves weird on the court, kind of a prancer, seems lost a lot of the time, and seems to offer next to nothing.

I've heard opposing players are clowning on them, asking "Do you want fries with that? They do look like a bad take on McDonalds uniforms.

As for Wilson, the least he could od is build up his body over the last couple years. He can shoot, and obviously has some athleticism. But that's about it. Horrible on defense and on the boards, and just sort of drifts around on offense.

I was talking to my son about the Bucks last night, and he posed an interesting question. Middleton, Brogdon, Lopez, Bledsoe. Which one would hurt the most if lost for the season? Honestly, Middleton comes in last for me...maybe a toss-up between him and Brogdon. But sort of telling as far as the priority for signing these guys after the season.

I've heard opposing players are clowning on them, asking "Do you want fries with that? They do look like a bad take on McDonalds uniforms.

As for Wilson, the least he could od is build up his body over the last couple years. He can shoot, and obviously has some athleticism. But that's about it. Horrible on defense and on the boards, and just sort of drifts around on offense.

I was talking to my son about the Bucks last night, and he posed an interesting question. Middleton, Brogdon, Lopez, Bledsoe. Which one would hurt the most if lost for the season? Honestly, Middleton comes in last for me...maybe a toss-up between him and Brogdon. But sort of telling as far as the priority for signing these guys after the season.

IMO 1) Brogdon's vesatility and grit, then 2) Bledsoe, 3) Lopez, 4) Middleton. Middleton is fantastic when engaged and playing well and is a huge boost, but it's not like we fall into the gutter when he's off like we did when we tried playing Jabari with Giannis. Somebody else can fill the void.

Brogdon is such a great "glue guy". He is perfect in his role on this team but I wonder if he will want a contract above his skill level? Bledsoe is playing terrific on the ball defense this year. He seems to really be rejuvenated under Budenholzer. Mids has been in a slump but I think the benching and "off day" will light a mini fire under him. They really need a scorer like him at the end of quarters/halves. Lopez has been a revelation. And that contract he has is ridiculous for the value.

So long story short in terms of importance (most to least) I'd go 1) Bledsoe simply because the backup options are junk 2) Lopez - see previous answer 3) Brogdon 4) Middleton

I don't think Middleton is last. When he was playing well, he was a huge reason they were dominating the NBA. Best scoring differential against the toughest schedule over most of the first month. The way he's playing so poorly now is the main reason they've been much more mediocre lately. He and Brogdon are both slow and underwhelming in a lot of ways, but Khris can produce more difficult offense whereas Brogdon is more of a shoot-when-I'm-open or take weak defenders to the rim type of niche scorer. He benefits a lot from the gravity Khris and Giannis have, and not the other way around.

I agree about Khris arguably not being a huge priority anymore, but that's more about his effort than his impact. He's been doing it since he get his $70m deal. I had hoped the injury was the explanation, but the fact that he's still dogging it so much is a huge concern. Not sure I want him on his next deal.

Wilson does look funny/stupid on the court, but there's no penalty for that. I wouldn't say he just drifts around. They're clearly coaching him up to set screens constantly and look for open 3's, and he's responding well. I can see why they picked up his option, because being coachable and having just a few helpful skills is sometimes all you need to be a rotation player. He sets more smart screens and attempts to box out more in 5 minutes than Jabari used to do in an entire game.

ETA: Homer is also right. The fact that the back-ups are such trash is the real reason Bledsoe and Lopez are so indispensable. Hill looks pretty good. He's still a little quicker than Brogdon even at 32. He did stuff in his prime that Brogdon can only dream of.

Re: Wilson - he can be valuable in this offense simply because he's a tall dude that can shoot. All he has to do is wander around the three point arc and wait for kick outs.

If the Cavs haven't gotten the pick by 2024, they only get the Bucks 2nd round picks in 2024 and 2025.

Archived