Brewer Fanatic

Sophia Minnaert

First: It's media availability. Any media member with credentials can ask questions.

Secondly, she's employed by Fox Sports Wisconsin. Not by the Milwaukee Brewers.

Third, who has asked the tough questions?

Haudricourt? McCalvy? Anyone in the past 4 years?

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
First: It's media availability. Any media member with credentials can ask questions.

Nope, Brewers' employee

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2018/06/13/milwaukee-brewers-hire-fox-sports-wisconsins.html

Yea, I don't get that. Is anyone expecting Sophia, Dario, or Auggie to ask tough questions? That should be the job of the local media. If you're upset about softball questions, aim your frustration at the Journal/Sentinel, local TV stations, anyone else who is a beat reporter following the Brewers.

Nope, Brewers' employee

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2018/06/13/milwaukee-brewers-hire-fox-sports-wisconsins.html

Here is the full list:

https://www.mlb.com/brewers/team/broadcasters

I'm just saying it is kinda weird that she is asking questions like a media member but she works for the team. What's she going to do ask Counsell why didn't you get him out of there Craig? Most people do not know she works for the team. Obviously people on this board who are serious fans don't know. Journal Sentinel is mostly to blame as they look to be friends first. Just frustrated that we never seen to get answers. Must be nice working in Milwaukee compared to most places.

I'm just saying it is kinda weird that she is asking questions like a media member but she works for the team. What's she going to do ask Counsell why didn't you get him out of there Craig? Most people do not know she works for the team. Obviously people on this board who are serious fans don't know. Journal Sentinel is mostly to blame as they look to be friends first. Just frustrated that we never seen to get answers. Must be nice working in Milwaukee compared to most places.

Does any sports TV person, regardless of employer, ever ask anything of substance of athletes/coaches/GM's? No. Sometimes you'll have a football sideline reporter ask the coach about going for it on 4th down or something as they're running into the locker room at half time but that's about it. All you get from those folks is the standard How does it feel, What we're you thinking when whatever happened, Are you excited because of whatever, Did so and so play well stuff. Just puff questions.

Not one member of the Brewers media asks tough or even interesting or relevant questions. It really is quite a joke and has been for years.

No doubt, this has been going on since Yost, and probably even before him.

I knew the questions that we all wanted asked after yesterday's debacle were not going to be asked, and they weren't.

I like Counsell as a person, but there is nothing wrong with holding him accountable, which a lot of posters on this site refuse to do.

As a fan base, we have the right to expect the best, and questioning decisions made is part of being a fan.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Not one member of the Brewers media asks tough or even interesting or relevant questions. It really is quite a joke and has been for years.

No doubt, this has been going on since Yost, and probably even before him.

I knew the questions that we all wanted asked after yesterday's debacle were not going to be asked, and they weren't.

I like Counsell as a person, but there is nothing wrong with holding him accountable, which a lot of posters on this site refuse to do.

As a fan base, we have the right to expect the best, and questioning decisions made is part of being a fan.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Does any sports TV person, regardless of employer, ever ask anything of substance of athletes/coaches/GM's? No. Sometimes you'll have a football sideline reporter ask the coach about going for it on 4th down or something as they're running into the locker room at half time but that's about it. All you get from those folks is the standard How does it feel, What we're you thinking when whatever happened, Are you excited because of whatever, Did so and so play well stuff. Just puff questions.

Yea, they almost always ask softball questions. Same stuff when i watch Bucks coaches after a loss.

Here and there, a tough question gets asked, but then if the question is completely dodged or not given a direct answer, a follow up question is almost guaranteed to not happen.

Maybe in bigger markets with a bigger pool of reporters and a tougher mindset of reporters, more often will tough questions be perused. With the Brewers and Bucks though, there simply is just one beat writer following each team and Sophia.

The nature of MLB and NBA season doesn't lend itself to local reporters confronting coaches and management because of how many games there are. It's a different animal than the NFL, where you have more or less a repetitive weekly schedule with much more limited availability. You can ask a brutal question, get roasted, and then have days to cool off. The national media has way more leverage.

If you're getting in Craig Counsell's face every night about a pitching change, that's going to get really old, really fast, and it's going to be next to impossible to do the job. I worked a very long time in media and this is something fans really don't have a grasp on. Nobody has to talk to these reporters. They stop talking to you and you have a big problem on your hands and a pissed off editor. When covering an MLB beat you are walking a 24/7 line between keeping contact open and doing your job.

Archived